More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Maybe it was over ambitious but I had hopes we could start to close the distance on the likes of Arsenal. But now i'm more concerned about Aston Villa and not backsliding in the league.

I don't think we'll go backwards. Even if we don't sign anyone we've got a far better defence, Bruno for a full season not just half a season, could say the same about Joelinton actually since he only started after Christmas pretty much. Add even just 7-8 more games from Wilson than last season and there'll be progress from back to front.

Just now, xLiaaamx said:

The recruitment has just been so lopsided in favour of defence. If we get some decent forward players then it's fine, but otherwise you have to question why we went for Goalkeeper and Centre back.

Because deals we wanted were available for them. Much harder to get the same kinds of quality deals in the forward areas.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think we'll go backwards. Even if we don't sign anyone we've got a far better defence, Bruno for a full season not just half a season, could say the same about Joelinton actually since he only started after Christmas pretty much. Add even just 7-8 more games from Wilson than last season and there'll be progress from back to front.

I think we had a lot of intangibles go our way in the second half of the season. Momentum, crowd, care free once safe etc. Can't guarantee that continues here.

The defence looks solid but slow. Midfield lacks ability but plenty of graft, up front lopsided and little depth. Can Jonjo Shelvey keep up that intensity for a full season? Bruno scored more goals in less than half a season, than he managed in 3 years at Lyon. Is going to continue being a 1 in 4 goalscoring midfielder?

If we go as-is, I expect a bottom-half finish.

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

The recruitment has just been so lopsided in favour of defence. If we get some decent forward players then it's fine, but otherwise you have to question why we went for Goalkeeper and Centre back.

I don't think we're ignoring attacking areas though? We wanted Botman in January before Burn and he was still a goer so that was easy to revisit. Targett was another easy one, and we've been able to sign a top keeper for £10m. It's harder to get quality forwards but they're hardly going to just not sign those three because we've not got the forwards? 

We could easily see better performances from players we've already got.

Fraser had a really good season for Bournemouth a few years back (about 20 goal contributions), Targett looks like he could probably improve going forward, Maxi showed more of a willingness to play for the team late in the season and Longstaff was looking solid. I don't expect every player to turn things around or improve but there will no doubt be a few we'll be looking back on in a years time in a different light.

Guest HTT II

Chilax people, we will add attacking quality to the side. 3 more players to come in before the end of the window.

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

In a pre-oil money NUFC the market we would be shopping in is someone who'd keep us 15th-17th. We've already got those players. Helluva lot harder to get the players a couple of levels up.

Wood is championship material tho. An fit wilson ok. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think we had a lot of intangibles go our way in the second half of the season. Momentum, crowd, care free once safe etc. Can't guarantee that continues here.

The defence looks solid but slow. Midfield lacks ability but plenty of graft, up front lopsided and little depth. Can Jonjo Shelvey keep up that intensity for a full season? Bruno scored more goals in less than half a season, than he managed in 3 years at Lyon. Is going to continue being a 1 in 4 goalscoring midfielder?

Mate, you continue to be so repetitive with bashing the defensive units like they are all sloths in terms of pace. It has nothing to do with just straight line speed, it has more to do with positioning and reading of the game. You go on about like we'll get burned by every team. 

We were rarely murdered for pace last season and when we were, what was the common factor? Very poor performances/tactical plan or execution ie: we played insanely high lines versus teams who were designed to run rampant on the counter.

We lost to Spurs, Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Everton once Howe had it all sorted out in terms of the team. Only two of those were pastings, the other 3 were 1 goal losses of which 2 of them were stoppage time winners for the other team. 

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

Harsh on Morata. Werner's goal return in the PL makes Morata look like Haaland. 

Let’s please make a pact to not even start talking about Werner - the guys on £277,000 per week ffs.

Edited by Gawalls

And to add to the above post - there is never any mention about what our defenders are good at or how they developed into such a strong unit as the season went on -- Trippier looked an end-to-end rock before getting hurt. His replacement in Krafu has tremendous levels of pace and is powerful in the air. Schar at his best is aggressive at interceptions and springing forward with great passing. Burn is a tremendous reader of the game and when he plays within himself he keeps everything in front of him. Targett is as solid as you get in terms of defender, never over-exposing himself and keeping the game in front of him. Add in Sven Botman who is both a strong reader, distributer and again, which you've failed to ignore, has tremendous recovery pace. 

18 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Because deals we wanted were available for them. Much harder to get the same kinds of quality deals in the forward areas.

You can’t be serious - have you ever played football manager because a lot of the posters on here have and know how easy it is, we’re just not trying.

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

When howe phones you up and asks your opinion be sure to tell him.

Unbelievable how peoples expectations have changed already in less than a calendar year and only 1.5 transfers windows.

For anyone that doesn't know how to bypass the pay wall, he regurgitates the Werner info from earlier today, dismisses the Draxler link and says interest in Broja has cooled as he wants to be first choice striker at his new club. He also gives his weekly Harrison update and claims other deals have stalled, but doesn't mention any details.

Standard stuff from happy Luke.

24 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think we're ignoring attacking areas though? We wanted Botman in January before Burn and he was still a goer so that was easy to revisit. Targett was another easy one, and we've been able to sign a top keeper for £10m. It's harder to get quality forwards but they're hardly going to just not sign those three because we've not got the forwards? 

I am just surprised we spent so much effort chasing Ekiteke over two windows, then when it fell through, we don't appear to have any solid alternatives.