More transfer rumours

midds

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Raphina cost around £17 million from France. There are wingers we can still get from there for nowhere near £40 million, or the £72 million Arsenal foolishly paid for Pepe. Zaha is 30 and would still cost us a significant fee and wages. It's a bad deal.

You like Raphina so much, but you don't want the club to go and try and find such a player themselves like Leeds did, but want us instead to go and fork out £75 million for him. It's that kind of lazy approach that will do us in.

You say why spend on an unknown quantity? Well because, that's the way football works, if the club does the work behind the scenes on the player and are happy with their profile and valuation then make the deal. Paying over the odds for Zaha at his age is a bad idea, and there is absolutely no guarantee he'd be a success here either, as I don't think he's that good that you can expect that as a certainty.

If we want to compete we need a mix of experienced players and new ones. Signing Raphinha would be far beyond this club. Even for £75m. There's a reason Bayern, Barcelona etc wants him. Walks into most clubs starting XI. 

Just now, Flip said:

If we want to compete we need a mix of experienced players and new ones. Signing Raphinha would be far beyond this club. Even for £75m. There's a reason Bayern, Barcelona etc wants him. Walks into most clubs starting XI. 

I know. That's the point I was making. We should be signing players like him at the initial stage, like Leeds did. Not after he has already fully emerged and is attracting interest from all the best clubs.

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

Hes a good player but most of the attraction around him is his £25m relegation release clause. Barca can barely afford that nevermind £75m. 

50 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I know. That's the point I was making. We should be signing players like him at the initial stage, like Leeds did. Not after he has already fully emerged and is attracting interest from all the best clubs.

If only it was that easy all clubs would be doing it. For every Raphinha there's 10 failures.

48 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Hes a good player but most of the attraction around him is his £25m relegation release clause. Barca can barely afford that nevermind £75m. 

Not true at all. He's been rumoured for a while to top clubs and the relegation clause came to notice now in the last 2 months or so. Aren't many better right wingers than him. Been dominant for Brazil in the national side for the few games he has played and he has had great success individually at four clubs in a row now. 

Just now, Flip said:

If only it was that easy all clubs would be doing it. For every Raphinha there's 10 failures.

Not true at all. He's been rumoured for a while to top clubs and the relegation clause came to notice now in the last 2 months or so. Aren't many better right wingers than him. Been dominant for Brazil in the national side for the few games he has played and he has had great success individually at four clubs in a row now. 

That doesn't mean you just don't bother man, my goodness :lol:

Just now, Flip said:

It is true like. Just because Joe public have found out about the release clause recently doesn't mean the army of scouts in the network haven't known about it for ages.

You think barca have £75m to spend? ??

50 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That doesn't mean you just don't bother man, my goodness :lol:

:lol: Kaka, ma man, you need to start reading properly. I just suggested that you need a mix of both, you're the one insinuating we should only try and sign bunch of wingers from France and hope one blossoms into a fantastic footballer. If we want to compete soon we can't be applying the model you are suggesting. We need to buy established players as well. A mix of both in other words. 

50 minutes ago, Dokko said:

It is true like. Just because Joe public have found out about the release clause recently doesn't mean the army of scouts in the network haven't known about it for ages.

You think barca have £75m to spend? ??

I have no insight into clubs finances and the way they bend rules to sign players. That being said, I doubt they'd pay £75m for one player unless they began selling parts of their squad which has been rumoured. So in that regard you are right, however, doesn't take away the fact that many clubs would be interested in Raphinha even at that price. I mean, Ben White went for £50m last season no? And we bought Chris Wood for a like a billion. 

Just now, Flip said:

:lol: Kaka, ma man, you need to start reading properly. I just suggested that you need a mix of both, you're the one insinuating we should only try and sign bunch of wingers from France and hope one blossoms into a fantastic footballer. If we want to compete soon we can't be applying the model you are suggesting. We need to buy established players as well. A mix of both in other words. 

I have no insight into clubs finances and the way they bend rules to sign players. That being said, I doubt they'd pay £75m for one player unless they began selling parts of their squad which has been rumoured. So in that regard you are right, however, doesn't take away the fact that many clubs would be interested in Raphinha even at that price. I mean, Ben White went for £50m last season no? And we bought Chris Wood for a like a billion. 

As always, the truth is somewhere in between. He's a good player who's possible availability makes him very attractive to a lot of clubs. 

6 hours ago, Flip said:

No sir I did not insinuate we should just sign a bunch of wingers from France only. 

In my previous post regarding Zaha I also said if we wanted prem experience too there were many others I'd have in ahead of him and gave the examples of Sarr and Dennis if Watford go down, as they have far more upside than Zaha and wouldn't cost as much in total i.e. fee and wages.

23 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

One of the English teachers at blaydon comp was known as pineapple heed. He used to her quite upset about it. Probably a really nice fella on reflection. Just had to deal with barely civilised kids. 

Self appointed arbiter of anti-racism, relentlessly unfunny David Baddiel, bullied a black footballer after blacking up and sporting a pineapple head.

54 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Self appointed arbiter of anti-racism, relentlessly unfunny David Baddiel, bullied a black footballer after blacking up and sporting a pineapple head.

Is he not allowed to pay tribute to Al Jolson?

I’m not sure if we should spunk say 60m+ on someone like Nunez. I’m not even sure if we should spend a fortune on any striker this summer. They are hard to find and there’s not many “guaranteed” options out there available to begin with, never mind realistic ones this early on in our project. 

Other positions need to be strengthened as well, and can be done more easily (less risk) even if we go for proper top quality/world class potential. I think I’d look to loan a quality striker from one of the European top teams with maybe an option to buy. This x-named player might work out even better and gives us the option of spending the cash in other areas until the right option occurs. Not sure who though.. 

Spend big on a RW and CB and one more attacking minded CM and a more defensive minded CM too and then loan a quality striker to compete with Wilson. Not even sure if Nunez would come to us anyway. 

Edited by Ikon

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

I’m not sure if we should spunk say 60m+ on someone like Nunez. I’m not even sure if we should spend a fortune on any striker this summer. They are hard to find and there’s not many “guaranteed” options out there available to begin with, never mind realistic ones this early on in our project. 

Other positions need to be strengthened as well, and can be done more easily (less risk) even if we go for proper top quality/world class potential. I think I’d look to loan a quality striker from one of the European top teams with maybe an option to buy. This x-named player might work out even better and gives us the option of spending the cash in other areas until the right option occurs. Not sure who though.. 

Spend big on a RW and CB and one more attacking minded CM and a more defensive minded CM too and then loan a quality striker to compete with Wilson. Not even sure if Nunez would come to us anyway. 

As much as I’d love to see a Nunez or Isak type signing you may be right. Unless PIF decide to really fast forward things, all the noises seem to be evolution and not revolution this summer. I also think Howe will favour this approach and I think we’ll see a real push to lower the age of squad.

I’ve got a feeling the striker will end up being Ekitike or someone similar with potential. I’d also love to see someone like Diaby or Antony, but have a feeling it’ll end up looking something along these lines.

GK Johnstone or Henderson
CB Kelly Bournemouth 

LB Hickey

AM Paqueta

Winger Eze

CF Ekitike

I agree Nunez has probably falled into the unrealistic category now but if we were after a top striker in January then don't see why we wouldn't be after one in the summer

Whilst it might not be Nunez I'm sure the club will be looking at options and not just a prospect like Ekitike