More transfer rumours

midds

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

howe will definitley taking trippier's opinion of Lodi into account.

pretty good references if Howe, Trippier, Simone and the Brazil coach all rate him.

would still love targett too.

Not to mention Lodi also played with Bruno in Brazil before they both came over to Europe.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

He played it as his preferred formation during his time at Bournemouth, through multiple rebuilds of his team. 

It is the formation he mostly played to bring Bournemouth all the way to the Premier League. It's the first formation he looked to play as soon as he came in at Newcastle during his first four games.

Lets wait and see. I am pretty confident that's what he will use. It's interesting to note that he spent time observing Simeone during his time off, another manager that uses a 4-4-2 and has his team defend very well with that setup, which is the part Howe needed to improve on with his 4-4-2.

I think it's a big part of why we are looking to sign two strikers this summer, and therefore have 4 strikers going into the season.

If I recall correctly Howe was asked a few weeks ago if he would be playing both Wood and Wilson, and he said no and I’m pretty sure he said something which indicated he was not a fan of having 2 up top. 

he may have changed in his time away. The formation and tactics against Arsenal was the best I’ve seen is play in a long time, it wouldn’t surprise me if he sticks with that long term.

9 hours ago, NWMag said:

If I recall correctly Howe was asked a few weeks ago if he would be playing both Wood and Wilson, and he said no and I’m pretty sure he said something which indicated he was not a fan of having 2 up top. 

he may have changed in his time away. The formation and tactics against Arsenal was the best I’ve seen is play in a long time, it wouldn’t surprise me if he sticks with that long term.

Probably because neither of them are really second/deep strikers.

Wilson typically played highest up the pitch at Bournemouth, with King dropping in behind him. 

Wood typically played higher up the pitch at Burnley, with Barnes dropping in behind him.

Eddie's 4-4-2 formation really just ends up being a variation of the 4-2-3-1, but with a second striker that is versatile, rather than a number 10.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, Ronson333 said:

It will be interesting what happens when we go head to head against the likes of Villa on a transfer. 

At this moment in time they are willing to offer bigger wages.

Villa have done smart business getting in Kamara on a free (22) and  Countinho (29) for a combined £17 million. Just like us, they'll have their eyes on top eight next season, so we'll inevitably be linked with similar players. That said I think our plans are going to be fairly different. 

I don't get the weird social media rivalry.

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Social media? Ever since they went daft after us getting relegated there on the final day of the season I've hated them lol. 

Us and Villa are in very similar positions at the moment (that last part being key). Both lower half clubs with money they're willing to spend to get into the top half/top 6. It should be in the coming years where we really start to pull away. If the PIF are really serious about this we will soon start to see some of the benefits of essentially being state owned. Commercially we should be able to pull away from them pretty quickly, and therefore have way more FFP room to play with, as well as the willingness to spend. 

34 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Social media? Ever since they went daft after us getting relegated there on the final day of the season I've hated them lol. 

Us and Villa are in very similar positions at the moment (that last part being key). Both lower half clubs with money they're willing to spend to get into the top half/top 6. It should be in the coming years where we really start to pull away. If the PIF are really serious about this we will soon start to see some of the benefits of essentially being state owned. Commercially we should be able to pull away from them pretty quickly, and therefore have way more FFP room to play with, as well as the willingness to spend. 

I think we are already ahead of Villa ,we even finished above them this season and they had a 3 month head start on us , we have a much better manager and if we are in for similar players they will join us over Villa, not in the slightest expecting Villa to finish above us next season.

57 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Villa have done smart business getting in Kamara on a free (22) and  Countinho (29) for a combined £17 million. Just like us, they'll have their eyes on top eight next season, so we'll inevitably be linked with similar players. That said I think our plans are going to be fairly different. 

Agreed, if we had signed both we would be over the moon 

I read somewhere they had splashed a lot of cash over the last few years and only had 5 million wriggle room for FFP, it appears that’s not the case (unless they sell a few players for big money) 

Too many fans thinking it’s only us that will strengthen and all other teams are making shite signings !!

just concentrate on our own club , couldn’t give two shits about others , however it’s fair to say that villa are showing ambition 

as will we !

Edited by JonBez comesock

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

£60 million to £100 million seems to be what all the local journos have been breifed, nothing new really.

Seems to be the case. If true, our owners either need to temper their ambitions or increase the budget as that’s mid-table outlay. Gradual improvement does seem sensible but obviously not as exciting.

Or “it’s just a ploy to keep prices down”, which I’ve never really understood. Teams don’t just dole out discounts because you’re pretending to be skint.

I wonder if the budget is set without any of the possible commercial or sponsorship deals taken into consideration? Very quiet on that front currently so we could see an increase once any of those are announced.

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I wonder if the budget is set without any of the possible commercial or sponsorship deals taken into consideration? Very quiet on that front currently so we could see an increase once any of those are announced.

Exactly what I was thinking , if we have a big sponsorship deal or deals lined up (which we are all hoping for) 

Surely the budget will change 

if it is still fun88 and no other stadium or training kit sponsor / sleeve sponsor

maybe the budget will be low?

you would think we would have at least 1 decent sponsorship deal lined up or all this talk of aiming for Europe / pushing for top 7 is nonsense 

Villa/Wolves/spurs/arsenal/Leicester West Ham will all spend to be fair 

I think we were over achieving last year and teams will be harder to beat/improved next year 

it’s all about staying ahead of the game / improving 

players like Chris Wood / Lascelles/Murphy / dummett / even longstaff shouldn’t be getting much or any game time if we want to push on.

No disrespect but we made the perfect signings in January to get us out the shit but we need top level players to aim for Europe.

Not top top elite players but good enough to sustain a good effort towards Europe  

squad depth / quality is key 

Assuming it is 3 top signings where would people say it needs to be spent?

I would assume most would agree Striker and RW are the 2 main priorities but I’m unsure on what position would be next. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I would assume most would agree Striker and RW are the 2 main priorities but I’m unsure on what position would be next. 

ST, RW, CM.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Left back.