More transfer rumours

midds

45 minutes ago, Stottie said:

The non-automatic signing of Targett suggests we must have a massive budget. Creativity from the left back position is not that high a priority, so going after it means we must have plenty of money to address the more obvious issues.

It would also suggest we are 100% going to get a better replacement ? And certain to sign them (nearly done ?)

or

why would he risk a nailed on left back we have had on loan , who was very very good 

Edited by JonBez comesock

Guest reefatoon

Nobody knows how Howe wants to set us up next year. Sure he knows what he is doing, has a firm plan and knows the players he wants to best suit that style.

Edited by reefatoon

Lodi and St Max would be a concern defensively for sure in the current system.

My preferred option would be Targett and Hickey to push him for a starting place. Hickey can also play right back which would give us great cover.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Interesting perspective, but you would think Howe would have sounded out Bruno about Lodi as well.

Yes, you'd assume so.

That said, part of me wonders whether Howe would want to openly rely on Bruno's opinion too much (or any opinionated player, for that matter).

Certainly, if it was me, I'd be wary of signing a star player's best friend (Pacqueta, I'm thinking of) if it was being widely spoken about, as it'd make me question whether the personal and professional lines would risk getting blurred. I could see Howe wanting to make sure everyone was clear on who was in control.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

Yes, you'd assume so.

That said, part of me wonders whether Howe would want to openly rely on Bruno's opinion too much (or any opinionated player, for that matter).

Certainly, if it was me, I'd be wary of signing a star player's best friend (Pacqueta, I'm thinking of) if it was being widely spoken about, as it'd make me question whether the personal and professional lines would risk getting blurred. I could see Howe wanting to make sure everyone was clear on who was in control.

But we actually wanted to sign Paqueta before we went for Bruno- we must have done our homework on him and made sure he was a good signing beforehand, not just because of Bruno’s say-so. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

But we actually wanted to sign Paqueta before we went for Bruno- we must have done our homework on him and made sure he was a good signing beforehand, not just because of Bruno’s say-so. 

I'll take your word on that, but yes I've heard it said, which is cool.

But yeah, I'm not saying we wouldn't go for him, just that I could see it being a factor in the decision and how the decision was executed. The difference between justice being done and being seen to be done, so to speak.

Also, ok sure, imagine we sign Pacqueta, would he then also follow advice on the left back and who knows where else? I think each subsequent one becomes less likely than the previous one to avoid dodgy personal dynamics.

18 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'll take your word on that, but yes I've heard it said, which is cool.

But yeah, I'm not saying we wouldn't go for him, just that I could see it being a factor in the decision and how the decision was executed. The difference between justice being done and being seen to be done, so to speak.

Also, ok sure, imagine we sign Pacqueta, would he then also follow advice on the left back and who knows where else? I think each subsequent one becomes less likely than the previous one to avoid dodgy personal dynamics.

I think it’s more a case that Paqueta (or Lodi) is a quality player, has been extensively scouted by the club, we’ve probably spoken to his agent and/or club about availability/price/wages /desire to come, and finally, after doing the necessary due process, Howe may have spoken to Bruno to get a final last opinion. I’m 100% certain that our decisions on signings (or anything else) won’t be made with any bearing as a result of what Bruno (or any other player says). 

Edited by Manxst

Based on nothing but opinion i don’t think we will sign anyone for a while as we will target top quality players, which will take longer to pull off but we worth it in the end. I do feel as though the Bruno signing is the benchmark and that they won’t target anyone not in a similar bracket to him.

I really believe that Howe wants to move to a 3 at the back formation next season. Towards the end of his Bournemouth career he started to use the 3-4-3 that beat conte's 

Chelsea more and more frequently. 

Also if he plans on sticking to a back 4 it wouldn't make sense to sign Lodi (who struggles defensively in a back 4) over Targett. 

The 3-4-3 would work well for Maxi as well, it would allow him to play as on the left wing but with less defensive responsibility. 

3 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

I really believe that Howe wants to move to a 3 at the back formation next season. Towards the end of his Bournemouth career he started to use the 3-4-3 that beat conte's 

Also if he plans on sticking to a back 4 it wouldn't make sense to sign Lodi (who struggles defensively in a back 4) over Targett. 

The 3-4-3 would work well for Maxi as well, it would allow him to play as on the left wing but with less defensive responsibility. 

Yeah he did this at Bournemouth, but it’s worth noting he’s also used 4-2-3-1 in his time which would suit a signing like Paqueta.

Good read here on Howe’s history of tactics.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/eddie-howe-newcastle-bournemouth-tactics/

4 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

To play this we’d need to invest in a top quality CB.

If we are bringing in Lodi, then still need another left back.

I know Dummett can play there, as can Burn and Manq in a pinch but we still have Lewis?

Is he staying, going or what? Hes been deregistered from the squad so is he suddenly back in Howe's good books?

I like Lewis and Howe might be able to improve his game but I think he'll be sold. So we still need another left back.

Theres no guarantee Lodi will slot right in like Tripps did, he could take a looooong time to adapt. Whats his injury record like anyway?

Targett is cheap, reliable, consistent, experienced in the PL, knows Howes system and is available.

16 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Disagree. The Arsenal game suggests we want to play like Liverpool in the long run, 4-3-3 shape.

We know how meticulous Howe is. Weeks, if not months of scouting will have gone into each target and he'll be following up with his background checks to make sure as far as he can that each potential signing follows the "no dickhead" rule.

Based on what I know about Lodi, he offers far more in attack than Targett,  but less reliable in defence. I trust Howe has a reason for wanting to move in that direction.

Not all of our signings will stick and there will be the odd dud, but I think he (along with the rest of our makeshift recruitment team) has shown he has a plan and he's earned a bit of faith in terms of what he's trying to do, even if it doesn't seem obvious at first.