More transfer rumours

midds

I can't see Howe going to 3 at the back. He didn't even go for it against Liverpool or Man City. He only did it against Chelsea when he had 1 striker and 2 CM's available. He moved us away from it as soon as he came in. I don't see the reasoning behind thinking he's just waiting to take us back to it.

Edited by xLiaaamx

24 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I can't see Howe going to 3 at the back. He didn't even go for it against Liverpool or Man City. He only did it against Chelsea when he had 1 striker and 2 CM's available. He moved us away from it as soon as he came in. I don't see the reasoning behind thinking he's just waiting to take us back to it.

This is just my personal opinion and it's all speculation but...

Various things make me believe that he wants to at least have the option of going 3-4-3 against certain opposition:

• He had success with it at Bournemouth against Conte's Chelsea.
  • I think he wanted to play it more at Bournemouth but didn't have the right personnel to do make it work.
  • He very often speaks of wanting players who are versatile (Dan Burn who played for Potter as a left CB in a back 3, a LB in a back 4 and even a LWB  I believe)
  • His first game as Manager (vs Brentford) he set us up in a 3-4-3. This was nothing like Bruce's 5 at the back formations the game was too hectic and back and forth and we had no control. After this he got us playing 4 at the back again because he saw for himself that we didn't have the players needed to play an attacking 3-4-3.
  • Even after this failure against Brentford he tried it again against Chelsea as you have mentioned.
  • If he wanted to only play a back 4 why would he want to sign Lodi (can play in a back 4 but most say he is defensively suspect) while it would be so easy to sign Targett (a very good LB but not LWB) for a bargain and just forget about the LB position. The only reason I can think of is that he wants flexibility to at least be able to play various formations including his 3-4-3.
  • It's been well documented that he spent time studying Simeone's Athletico Madrid who switch between a 3 at the back formation and a 4-4-2 depending on the oppostion.

Edited by Joey47

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

This is just my personal opinion and it's all speculation but...

Various things make me believe that he wants to at least have the option of going 3-4-3 against certain opposition:

• He had success with it at Bournemouth against Conte's Chelsea.
  • I think he wanted to play it more at Bournemouth but didn't have the right personnel to do make it work.
  • He very often speaks of wanting players who are versatile (Dan Burn who played for Potter as a left CB in a back 3, a LB in a back 4 and even a LWB  I believe)
  • His first game as Manager (vs Brentford) he set us up in a 3-4-3. This was nothing like Bruce's 5 at the back formations the game was too hectic and back and forth and we had no control. After this he got us playing 4 at the back again because he saw for himself that we didn't have the players needed to play an attacking 3-4-3.
  • Even after this failure against Brentford he tried it again against Chelsea as you have mentioned.
  • If he wanted to only play a back 4 why would he want to sign Lodi (can play in a back 4 but most say he is defensively suspect) while it would be so easy to sign Targett (a very good LB but not LWB) for a bargain and just forget about the LB position. The only reason I can think of is that he wants flexibility to at least be able to play various formations including his 3-4-3.

Think we played that way against Brentford and Chelsea this season because they themselves play 3 at the back, and so he was matching up against the opposition. Conte has always played that way too, and so he matched up with them back when he beat Chelsea with Bournemouth.

Well worth having players to be able to switch to that setup, because a number of other teams line up that way now, and so sometimes it is beneficial matching up with them.

10 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Agreed 

He is a work horse in midfield and very strong 

up front he looks like bambi on ice 

Still they doubt the phenom from Brazil. Next season a new chapter ....

Edited by KaKa

8 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

1st game vs Brentford he played 3 CBs. Admittedly we had Murphy and Ritchie at WB so it may have been a necessity.

10 hours ago, Ikon said:

One can always wish. If we get the right players in and show real ambition then he will want to join. It’s all a way for him to say things like this to create some interest. 

But yeah, might reject us. 

I suspect he already has.

He looks a very good player, but not within our reach at the moment. I don't think the club will (or should) go down the route of overcoming a player's reluctance by giving them an inflated salary. Apart from anything else, there now seems to be some extra enthusiasm behind enforcing FFP.

36 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

His English sounds really good, which like you said makes it a shame given we’re just a few years away from this type of signing.

Reading the full quotes, he was asked about his link to us and he said it's nice to be linked to a big club. Not all bad.

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

Quite a few have been pushing the Rabiot to toon links. Not convinced we are after him. Maybe driving up the asking price for Chelsea?

Rabiot seems to have a ton of detractors online, especially France supporters? I really don't know enough about him to know if he would be a good get for us or not :dontknow:

One of them midfielders who just never stands out any time I watch him (which hasn't been years tbh), although he's apparently amazing at everything according to WhoScored [emoji38]

Guest HTT II
Just now, STM said:

It's says MAJOR PL clubs, I mean come on.... Chelsea aren't major.

2 times European Champions?