More transfer rumours

midds

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, he's come good at Lille.

Was a big part of them pulling off a massive upset to win Ligue 1 ahead of PSG, not the season just passed, but the year before.

AC Milan’s takeover was on the front page of the FT as being agreed so this will likely give them the edge with Botman and Sanches, the only thing worrying the Milan fans had been if it dragged or fell through.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I’ve seen the reports, I just don’t think anyone would pay that.

It will happen and it will be one of Lampard or Gerrard :laugh:

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I’ve seen the reports, I just don’t think anyone would pay that.

He’s on a free so any transfer fee money would go on wages instead. He’s already on £60k at Burnley- he’ll want way more than that.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

AC Milan’s takeover was on the front page of the FT as being agreed so this will likely give them the edge with Botman and Sanches, the only thing worrying the Milan fans had been if it dragged or fell through.

Wow, just seen that. That's a kick in the teeth. Could mean we miss out then for sure.

2 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

I think it's been reported recently that Aston Villa have dropped all interest.

Thought that was West Ham? Might’ve been Villa I guess after they signed Carlos, but I read they wanted both. 

52 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Sky say a deal was accepted in Jan:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/12040/12529331/hugo-ekitike-newcastle-have-transfer-deadline-day-bid-accepted-for-reims-forward

now that we’re less desperate I’d imagine we won’t be going in with the same offer to Reims.

Yeah wasn’t it case of him not wanting the move yet rather than his club? 

16 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If you’re looking to take a team from 5th to 4th or 2nd to 1st maybe. When you’re trying to go from mid-table to challenging the top 6 you need more than that.

Robert and Bellamy say “Hi” 🙂

I agree though, higher you are the less players you should be looking to buy/sell. Think we are caught between two stools as the first half of the season was such a write off. Are we an 11th place squad atm or under a full season of Howe last season could we of finished 6/7/8th 🤷‍♂️ 

Guest HTT II

3 transformational players would still improve us massively.

Edited by HTT II

Interesting read. Moving players on is going to be a big issue and could affect FFP. This gives further insight into why spending can't be too crazy this summer. Fat Mike and his stupid contracts to players we didn't need anymore, so he didn't have to spend on transfers to thank for this.

Guest HTT II

I think Howe without any spending in January with the squad he inherited had he taken over at the start of the season keeps that team up, but only just. Had he had the squad we ended up with after January at the start of the season we move into the top 10-8 positions, we did end up finishing 11th after such an awful start after all. Add 3 Bruno like players and we fight for 7-6th IMO. 

45 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Robert and Bellamy say “Hi” 🙂

I agree though, higher you are the less players you should be looking to buy/sell. Think we are caught between two stools as the first half of the season was such a write off. Are we an 11th place squad atm or under a full season of Howe last season could we of finished 6/7/8th 🤷‍♂️ 

That also had the benefit of Shearer fit all season plus Dabizas tbf mind. ;) Add in Dyer from December they were like 3 new signings. :)

I don't think swapping Lascelles for Tarkowski would really make much difference in FFP terms once you've took into account signing on fee, agent fee and wages.

Edited by ponsaelius

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Wow ... it's not about signing them just because of the contract situation. It's about taking advantage of the situation to sign top class players that will take us to the next level quicker.

Asensio, Renato and Grimaldo are all players we wouldn't be able to sign all at once if their contracts weren't running down. The cost for all 3 together ordinarily would be around £120 million!

If they think those three aren't any worse as options than the other players we have on the list then by all means get them.

However, the focus should be on getting the best player, not the guy we can get a bit cheaper. If the choice is Asencio for 20m or spending double that to get a player that we think is genuinely top class then I expect us to go for the better player.

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

But Tarkowski is on significantly higher wages, so would eat into that £10m FFP ‘saving’. And he’s no better playing wise- just seems a daft idea to me. 

Tarkowski is a far better player than Lascelles, particularly in relation to what Howe wants from his central defenders in terms of being comfortable on the ball.

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

Tarkowski is a far better player than Lascelles, particularly in relation to what Howe wants from his central defenders in terms of being comfortable on the ball.

Is he? He’s been shite this season. 

We dont need sidesteps signings like Tarkowski. We need players who are big upgrades (Diaby, Botman). On the striker front im not so sure we have to find a better player than Wilson. Not easy to find any better. We just need to find one who doesnt plump in quality when Wilson is out.

Edited by nufc123

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Is he? He’s been shite this season. 

I'm talking in comparison to captain calamity.

I think his form has been up and down this season but Burnley fans still seem to rate him and there's no question that he's more comfortable on the ball than Lascelles.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Jackie Broon said:

I'm talking in comparison to captain calamity.

I think his form has been up and down this season but Burnley fans still seem to rate him and there's no question that he's more comfortable on the ball than Lascelles.

A legless dead corpse is more comfortable on the ball than Lascelles, it’s not a very high bar!

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Burnley fans disagree. 

Fair enough. Hasn’t looked great to me when I’ve seen him. Certainly not a massive upgrade, and certainly not on the finances. We could do infinitely better.

I think the only real difference between Lascelles and Tarkowski is that one has played in a chaotic sit back and hoof it team and the other in an organised one. I'm naturally suspicious of defenders that play in a system like Burnley's, what evidence do we have that he would fit into Howe's way of playing?

Here I go again defending Tarkowski :lol: . He’s significantly better than any of our defenders (besides perhaps Schar, but I’d argue he’s better and definitely more PL-proven than him too).

Would be a great pick-up for free, providing his wages are reasonable.

From The Athletic:

“Carlos was no longer deemed attainable, and although one last attempt for Botman was considered, alternative Premier League centre-backs were floated instead. Burnley’s Jame Tarkowski and Liverpool’s Nat Phillips had been viewed as back-ups all window but, with Howe keen for a ball-player, he instead opted for Burn

just can’t see us going in for Tarkowski given we decided to get Burn instead in Jan as we saw him as a better ‘ball-player’. If anything, Burn will now move to third choice and we’ll get a better starter.