More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, Joey47 said:

From what I understood the main reason Ekitike didn't happen in Jan was more down to him wanting to play a full season at Reims before moving. 

This was from the Reims president in Jan.

Reims president Jean-Pierre Caillot explained to Le Quotidien du Sport the current situation with Ekitike, and that as things stands they can't accept Newcastle's offer.

Caillot explained: "It is true that many [clubs] are now realising the qualities of the player, but not us, he has trained so well for us and it is not a surprise.

"Newcastle positioned themselves for a deal and we talked, but their proposal did not suit us as we don't necessarily want to sell him and that is why we set to the asking price (€40m) quite high.

"They did make us an offer worth €35m (£29m) in total, but it was with many bonuses and some of which were almost impossible to achieve - such as winning the Champions League. We want €30m fixed plus €10 million in reasonable bonuses."

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

And this is from Ekitike:

However, their attempts to sign him in January fell through, despite an agreement reportedly being found with Reims on deadline day.

It was Ekitike himself to scupper the move, since he favoured staying with Reims for the rest of the season.

Now, the forward has broken his silence on his decision to remain with Reims rather than make the move to Newcastle.

“I have a lot of respect for that big club,” he told L’Equipe. “But it was all happening very quickly; the timing wasn’t right.

“It was better to stay here, to play a full season, to establish myself.”

https://www.teamtalk.com/newcastle-united/hugo-ekitike-explains-why-january-transfer-wasnt-right

Just now, McCormick said:

He’s since said that they’d sell for €20m.

I think that's what they want upfront now, but they still want bonuses attached.

If they had knocked it down that much we would have sealed the deal straightaway by now.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That was a little earlier in January if I remember, pretty sure they agreed a deal on the last day, but the player decided timing was not right.

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

And this is from Ekitike:

However, their attempts to sign him in January fell through, despite an agreement reportedly being found with Reims on deadline day.

It was Ekitike himself to scupper the move, since he favoured staying with Reims for the rest of the season.

Now, the forward has broken his silence on his decision to remain with Reims rather than make the move to Newcastle.

“I have a lot of respect for that big club,” he told L’Equipe. “But it was all happening very quickly; the timing wasn’t right.

“It was better to stay here, to play a full season, to establish myself.”

https://www.teamtalk.com/newcastle-united/hugo-ekitike-explains-why-january-transfer-wasnt-right

Yeah, but I'm not sure we ever actually agreed a deal. 

If we had done, then it would have been straightforward after the season ended.

Instead we are now seeing links with other similar young strikers like Pedro and even Broja.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That was a little earlier in January if I remember, pretty sure they agreed a deal on the last day, but the player decided timing was not right.

Ah, right. If that's the case and it was all agreed then it looks like something's gone awry, as nothing has happened since the season ended. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, but I'm not sure we ever actually agreed a deal. 

If we had done, then it would have been straightforward after the season ended.

Instead we are now seeing links with other similar young strikers like Pedro and even Broja.

Maybe those others weren’t available in January and we’re now investigating the possibility of alternatives? As per the above posts, I think a deal was struck but it was extremely last minute, and the player himself wasn’t sure. Now the season has ended, the terms of that deal wouldn’t necessarily apply again, to any of the concerned parties. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Maybe those others weren’t available in January and we’re now investigating the possibility of alternatives? As per the above posts, I think a deal was struck but it was extremely last minute, and the player himself wasn’t sure. Now the season has ended, the terms of that deal wouldn’t necessarily apply again, to any of the concerned parties. 

Yeah, seems that way.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Thought Sanches was more "what could've been" rather than "what is" re his ability. He sorted it all out?

Yeah, he's come good at Lille.

Was a big part of them pulling off a massive upset to win Ligue 1 ahead of PSG, not the season just passed, but the year before.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

If Howe was happy to let Lascelles go I'd have every faith that he was making the right call (I love trusting a manager), but based on what we know it seems like an unnecessary way of reducing squad numbers/cashing in. He's not great but he's not terrible and could yet improve, given who else has improved under Howe's tutelage, and he's clearly a crucial voice in the dressing room. It would be foolhardy to clear out all of the characters who've set the tone and standards of mentality over the past five years; we certainly wouldn't have stayed up - or helped to integrate the likes of Bruno so effectively - if it wasn't for the standards set by the likes of Ritchie and Lascelles. 

This is where I think him out for £10m or so and Tarkowski on a free to replace him as sort of 3rd choice centre-back would make sense in terms of FFP.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This is where I think him out for £10m or so and Tarkowski on a free to replace him as sort of 3rd choice centre-back would make sense in terms of FFP.

But Tarkowski is on significantly higher wages, so would eat into that £10m FFP ‘saving’. And he’s no better playing wise- just seems a daft idea to me. 

Just now, Manxst said:

But Tarkowski is on significantly higher wages, so would eat into that £10m FFP ‘saving’. And he’s no better playing wise- just seems a daft idea to me. 

Lascelles will be on about £50-60k a week as captain you’d think? I doubt Tarkowski will get much more than £70-80k.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Lascelles will be on about £50-60k a week as captain you’d think? I doubt Tarkowski will get much more than £70-80k.

It’s been quoted that Everton and Villa are offering £120k. That’s what’s he’s after as his last contract, and coming on a free. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

It’s been quoted that Everton and Villa are offering £120k. That’s what’s he’s after as his last contract, and coming on a free. 

Agreed. As a free agent he's definitely going to get silly money. That's the whole point really.