More transfer rumours

midds

3 hours ago, McCormick said:

He’s raw but impressively well-rounded for his age. The fact that he could play as a cdm or on the left or right of a midfield 3 makes him a really attractive proposition imo. 

30m + would be very steep for him considering all the other more proven options we could go for at that price (Hojberg, Soucek, Fofana, Ruiz etc.)

Apparently they've quoted us £34 million. Taking his age into account, I don't think the price is outrageous. We should be able to negotiate a deal from there hopefully.

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Cornet I'm not really a fan of. Scored quite a few goals but he was basically played as a forward and I don't think his general play was very good. Seemed more like a bit of a random hot streak.

No idea why he was used upfront tbh, as he had never played there before. Similarly, not sure why at Lyon they started using him as a left wing back his last couple of years either, as he was very productive as a winger for them previously. Perhaps when they switched to three at the back, he was just the best suited to it, and so his versatility has probably hindered him in a way.

He broke through as a winger, and was very good on the right in 2018-2019 in particular. For example, if you search for similar statistical seasons for right wingers to Mo Salah's season just passed (I used smarterscout), Cornet's 2018-2019 season is flagged. 

Edited by KaKa

37 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

My number one choice 

Yes please a thousand times. 

13 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No idea why he was used upfront tbh, as he had never played there before. Similarly, not sure why at Lyon they started using him as a left wing back his last couple of years either, as he was very productive as a winger for them previously. Perhaps when they switched to three at the back, he was just the best suited to it, and so his versatility has probably hindered him in a way.

He broke through as a winger, and was very good on the right in 2018-2019 in particular. For example, if you search for similar statistical seasons for right wingers to Mo Salah's season just passed (I used smarterscout), Cornet's 2018-2019 season is flagged. 

Didn't he start as a LB?

I remember him popping up as solely a LB in fifa years ago. Edit: apologies probably the wing back era you talked about. Seemed an age ago though.

Edited by toontownman

Whats Osimhen gonna cost though - £80M+ ?

Looking at his vids on youtube he seems to be quite one footed and loves to sweep the ball into the net with his right foot.

If we go for him, were gonna need some serious quality on the right.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Didn't he start as a LB?

I remember him popping up as solely a LB in fifa years ago.

Had been playing as a winger since he broke into the team in 2014-2015.

Only started being used as a left back/left wing back midway through the 2019-2020 season.

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Looking at his vids on youtube he seems to be quite one footed and loves to sweep the ball into the net with his right foot.

I have a policy of not watching anyone on Youtube unless I know there's a real serious link there. I don't want to start getting excited about a player then get pissed off he's joining Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Most likely fake news but if we're gonna spend 80 mil on a striker why wouldn't we be capable of spending big on a RW too?

18 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Most likely fake news but if we're gonna spend 80 mil on a striker why wouldn't we be capable of spending big on a RW too?

I dont think were able to spend £80m on a single player yet so yes, fake news. So hes not coming, unless Naopli sell him at a substantial loss.

Pacqueta was rumoured to be £60m ish but I cant see us spending more than Bruno money on a single player this window.

Happy to be proved wrong though :lol:

3 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I dont think were able to spend £80m on a single player yet so yes, fake news. So hes not coming, unless Naopli sell him at a substantial loss.

Pacqueta was rumoured to be £60m ish but I cant see us spending more than Bruno money on a single player this window.

Why aren’t we able to, out of interest? (I doubt we will btw, but can only see the wages associated with type of signing that would hold us back, rather than any fee).

1 hour ago, Lazarus said:

I think the rumour is he has a release clause of £60 mill. If so we could still get him for less.

4 hours ago, Manxst said:

Why aren’t we able to, out of interest? (I doubt we will btw, but can only see the wages associated with type of signing that would hold us back, rather than any fee).

Of course we could but its probably not the most sensible decision to make at this point in our growth, I dont think its worth putting a massive dent into our FFP when we could use that same money to address weaker areas of the squad first. I think Wilson will be our first choice striker for another season at least, depending on how next season and the new signings go we may well shell out for an elite striker next summer but I'd expect it more likely to happen 2 seasons from now. Bring in a young player with potential this summer as second choice to Wilson and see how they do, you never know they might hit the ground running and then we wont need that big money signing as quickly as we thought.

8 hours ago, Manxst said:

Thats it  - wages and FFP. If its true our highest earner is Bruno on 120k per week I cant see us paying much more than that.

I dont think we'll go big on any transfers until weve got some serious sponsorship deals in place.

4 hours ago, Nine said:

Of course we could but its probably not the most sensible decision to make at this point in our growth, I dont think its worth putting a massive dent into our FFP when we could use that same money to address weaker areas of the squad first. I think Wilson will be our first choice striker for another season at least, depending on how next season and the new signings go we may well shell out for an elite striker next summer but I'd expect it more likely to happen 2 seasons from now. Bring in a young player with potential this summer as second choice to Wilson and see how they do, you never know they might hit the ground running and then we wont need that big money signing as quickly as we thought.

Can’t see us gambling on Wilson staying fit unless we have real confidence in alternatives. Kind of depends on Howe’s appraisal of how much Wood brings (goals can come from elsewhere)  and expectation/level of developing striker we bring in. Would be great to go large on a marquee striker but we were basically the third best performing PL team over 2022. Even a marked down turn in that form, which was over 19 games so hardly a flash in the pan, could see us finishing top eight and on track for where they probably see the progression of the club.  

49 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Can’t see us gambling on Wilson staying fit unless we have real confidence in alternatives. Kind of depends on Howe’s appraisal of how much Wood brings (goals can come from elsewhere)  and expectation/level of developing striker we bring in. Would be great to go large on a marquee striker but we were basically the third best performing PL team over 2022. Even a marked down turn in that form, which was over 19 games so hardly a flash in the pan, could see us finishing top eight and on track for where they probably see the progression of the club.  

We wont be gambling on it, its calculated and they will know its unlikely that he hits the 30 games played mark. What you've said about how much faith Howe will have in Wood and a new striker will be what it comes down to but not only that, ASM and the RW position you'd expect to have higher numbers than last season to. The form of 2022 was far to consistent to be flash in the pan however the variables of a new season and football in general could easily change that.. I think its a little naive to expect us to pick up right where we left off (not saying we cant, just not expecting that either).

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Feels like we’ve got nothing solid in the rumour mill at the moment.

Now Ashworth is here I actually think its a much tighter ship in terms of stuff getting out. The Botman and Ekitike stuff precedes him. After you had Pope, who there was an initial rumour about a week or so before he signed, then nothing till it was pretty much a done deal and he was up for a medical. I would keep you eye on someone like (Thorgan) Hazard. Small rumour he was on a list last week. Wouldn't be shocked if there was very little else then suddenly he is on his way over for a medical.