More transfer rumours

midds

Chris Wood was basically the dictionary definition of a panic buy and clearly the outlier among the rest of the transfer business. It was absolutely critical that we went into those remaining January games with a striker. They probably knew the fee would have implications for future business but they took the risk and thankfully it hasn't prevented us from securing the other excellent signings we've made since then. 

10 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

The right signings, at the right price, with the right future potential and the right mindset is a perfect approach, as frustrating as it is. But it just keeps bringing me back to what the fuck led us to spaf £25m on Chris Wood :lol:  

Desperation at that time and weakening a rival. We aren't in that position now.

29 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

I have seen many people citing Everton as a justification why we shouldn’t do this or that. 
Have Everton become the new ‘doing a Portsmouth or Leeds’ that the press and other fans threatened us with for years whenever we as fanbase suggested Ashley should show a modicum of ambition?

I feel we should trust those at the club to do the right thing, after all what else can we do, and hope they will show the same desire, ambition, connection to the supporters, to build this club in a similar way to the Keegan days of the 90s. Then to surpass that part of our history and win things while staying connected to the city and its people.

This club can be almost unstoppable once it gets going, it was only really finances that stopped us long term in the 90s, hopefully that ceiling doesn’t apply now. 

By 'Doing an Everton' we would spend half a billion pounds and somehow look worse. It's very much the notion that spending in and of it self is not enough. Thankfully it's become very apparent that our ownership is aware of this.

10 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

The right signings, at the right price, with the right future potential and the right mindset is a perfect approach, as frustrating as it is. But it just keeps bringing me back to what the fuck led us to spaf £25m on Chris Wood :lol:  

Think of it instead as spending £12.5m on Wood, and £12.5m on increasing Burnley's chances on going down instead of us.

43 minutes ago, STM said:

We also don't have the luxury of a 10/20m transfer boost from outgoings. MA made sure that we'd spend the first summer trying to let go of the dead wood.

I'm surprised we haven't looked to move on Lascelles or Miggy (who I consider our only likely saleable assests), in order to replenish our budget.

On the other hand, losing our 4th choice centre half and 3rd choice wide player creates a new problem.

Next summer will be a different matter. Along with our new commercial power, we will have several players who might be available for the right price ;Schar, Fraser, Krafth, Longstaff, Willock, Murphy, Almiron, Wood, Dubravka and maybe even ASM, will all be potential outgoings.

What price for a 1 goal 0 assists winger?

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Desperation at that time and weakening a rival. We aren't in that position now.

I'm never gonna accept this was the reason. Desperation (I'd say) but buying a bang out of form striker in order to try and weaken a rival? Nah. He was worse for them than he was for us last season somehow.

Don't think anybody would expect decent money - but you could probably get some sort of fee from selling him to a lesser league that has some money. MLS, Turkey etc.

Villa just sold Trezeguet to Turkey for about 5 million. Similar sort of profile of player.

International players under 30 will generate fees from those kind of leagues if the players are willing to go. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

This is something you made up in your head? There are tons of other options that would strengthen and improve our team and squad in many ways compared to now. It doesn't have to be Osimhen, Paqueta and Diaby for example. But personally i see these three positions as key if we wish to improve and end up having a VERY good window. It doesn't have to cost  a bomb, neither is it something i demand or expect. In an ideal world i would love Paqueta, or an even dreamier signing that is extremely unrealistic like Osimhen. For example, Sesko, Madueke and Sucic are three i'd rather have than the ones you mentioned, apart from maybe Paqueta. If that is still too expensive then skip Madueke and get someone like CHO on loan and we still would have a great window getting these 3 key positions sorted out. Or any other midfielder that fits the bill, whether that is a more defensive or attacking minded, or box to box. These 3 would improve us massively overall without any of them being ridiculously expensive. Toney? Wouldn't want, maybe if below 30m.

Well, I'm responding to people in general just because of how fast this thread moves, but you're saying three signings should be made if the club is ambitious. I disagree with that and think the narrative building up that not signing lots equals lacking ambition is poisonous. In fairness, I'm ignoring loans as an option, but that would be a good move for one signing at least, I agree.

I picked three heavily discussed, relatively run of the mill players to demonstrate how easy making imperfect signings is. My point is if Jack Harrison is £30m+, and Toney is £50m+ in today's market (according to the press), bringing in improvements is going to be tough and/or expensive and FFP-draining. From the little I know, Sesko for £30m+ looks to be a great move, but again, that's easier said than done

Time will tell, but today it doesn't look like there are many desirable players in the positions we need under £30m each. It makes Bruno look absolutely bonkers value. The wing looks to be the easiest position to improve given our squad, I can buy a Cornet or Sarr helping us out there, but again, we have people mithering on about such signings just treading water for us.

As well as our wealth making new signings more expensive because people know we're rolling in it now (FFP aside), it may also have an impact on sales in that teams looking to buy our players may think that a) we don't need the money and b) we're desperate to get rid of players to make room for better ones.

When half your squad is "for sale", it's hard to demand top dollar and play the hard-nosed seller.

50 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I think we are trying to assemble a football  club rather than an expensively assembled squad too. There's long term thinking now, which it is hard to argue has been present at Everton for years. 

Definitely :thup:

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't think anybody would expect decent money - but you could probably get some sort of fee from selling him to a lesser league that has some money. MLS, Turkey etc.

Villa just sold Trezeguet to Turkey for about 5 million. Similar sort of profile of player.

International players under 30 will generate fees from those kind of leagues if the players are willing to go. 

Trezeguet has played in Turkey twice previously and is proven to be a good player in that league. Almiron has no proven track record in league football outside of north America.

He could do the loan then sign route

42 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Latebookings.com … can’t complain really. 

FFP is over a 3 year period, kind of. Obviously does affect us but not to the degree some think. Having a really good season can only help us going forward, both financially and on a sporting level. Not signing a 40m player now but doing so a couple of windows ahead won’t make a difference. If anything it will help us. Hypothetically speaking of course. The signing has to be the right player first and foremost and not costing ridiculous amounts more than the player is actually worth. We are wise to keep our powder dry as we are if the we can’t get the right player and deal, but ffp doesn’t change much really. It’s mostly about us not wanting to pay astronomical sums or being held to ransom, as in the long term it would affect us. This doesn’t mean that we can’t fix 3 key positions. We just gotta go the cheaper route, and go for top rated younger players with massive potential. I would love it if we went this route instead of overpaying for “ready” players, or at least too many of them. It’s not sustainable. Especially not this early. 

Edited by Ikon

8 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

doubt we’d see another defensive addition this summer but can play CB / CDM

He's the right age and has played decent number of games in the last 2 season for a very good Roma side. I'd assume this is just a random stirring of the pot from someone but he seems like he would be a good signing at first glance.

Oh and he's Brazilian......so we need him!

Edited by Mazzy

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

He's the right age and has played decent number of games in the last 2 season for a very good Roma side. I'd assume this is just a random stirring of the pot from someone but he seems like he would be a good signing at first glance.

Article says 20m euro is the asking price, I’d take the punt but would mean Lascelles and Fede would probably have to depart. Kell Watts is bound to be heading out on loan again? Would leave Schar / Ibanez, Botman / Burn with Dummett as cover. Not bad like. 

I know this is the transfer rumours but all the italian media is just to put on the ignore button. Tutto here and tutto there. We are desperate to keep the cost down, so unless Lascelles is sold we wont sign another defender. We have enough with getting attacking players in.

Just now, Jack27 said:

Article says 20m euro is the asking price, I’d take the punt but would mean Lascelles and Fede would probably have to depart. Kell Watts is bound to be heading out on loan again? Would leave Schar / Ibanez, Botman / Burn with Dummett as cover. Not bad like. 

If it's 20M then that does seem a reasonable fee. I'd agree with Fede and Watts (loan) having to go but can't see Howe spinning this yarn about Lascelles and him being club captain only for him to leave a few weeks down the line. 

5 CBs playing for 2 spots seems about right. It's one of the positions that's always susceptible to injuries of some sort so having depth in this position is never a bad thing.

This Ibanez story is likely Italian BS. That being said, it may be worth keeping in mind what Howe said the other day about looking at others areas if we can't bring in players in the positions we're currently looking at. 

Still can't see us signing another CB mind. 

20 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Pauly D sticks out like a sore thumb :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Pauly D sticks out like a sore thumb :lol:

That new contract must be to take him to his testimonial, hold it in Saudi and raise some funds for the transfer kitty