Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

Just now, madras said:

That may be down to it being obvious the type of ball we'd put in. Last season when Willock played further up we had more options. We need that centre midfield to be breaking towards the edge of the box.

Agreed, just said the same in the other thread where there is a debate going on about which luxury player we should deploy, Shelvey or Willock.

6 minutes ago, madras said:

That may be down to it being obvious the type of ball we'd put in. Last season when Willock played further up we had more options. We need that centre midfield to be breaking towards the edge of the box.

I think this key. We definitely need more players joining, even if only to create space for the usual candidates to have a shot. 

On 23/01/2022 at 09:30, Milburn said:

Was it disrespectful towards Jurgen Klopp when Liverpool fans sung Rafa’s name last weekend? I believe not!

To be fair, you couldn't do a more perfect job to screw Everton over than Rafa did (not that he meant it, it's just the way happens sometimes). Let's look back:

- Rafa hired and given no transfer budget

- Bought a gem in Gray

- Got off to a flyer and all was good

- Results got worse and then they were starting to go from top 4 to bottom 4

- Just when the board was thinking about the sack, he gets a fluke win over Arsenal (90th min long shot from Gray) and Everton board appeased

- Falls out with their best LB (Digne), sells him and buys 2 unproven full backs

- 'Wastes' one loan slot on El Gazhi

- Results go from bad to worse and lose to Norwich dragging them into the mire

- Sacked the following day

New manager comes in with best LB and one loan slot gone, the latter meant they may pay up to £40m for Alli!

Like I said, I don't think Rafa meant any of this and DCL being injured as well as some other key players hurt Everton, but the position Lampard is in now is pretty tricky and so the meme "Agent Rafa" was born.

From a Newcastle point of view, I'm grateful for what Rafa did but am now looking forward. Hope Howe and co can galvanise the team to start picking up wins as we need them fast.

Wonder if Howe will try and play Joelinton closer to Wood. Either as a AM or RWF. If Willock is training well then maybe JL goes to RWF to get our better players on the pitch. If not maybe JL as an AM and Muggy at RW/F.

I know JL has been great in MF but with Bruno arriving perhaps we can try him closer to goal. 

19 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Wonder if Howe will try and play Joelinton closer to Wood. Either as a AM or RWF. If Willock is training well then maybe JL goes to RWF to get our better players on the pitch. If not maybe JL as an AM and Muggy at RW/F.

I know JL has been great in MF but with Bruno arriving perhaps we can try him closer to goal. 

What would be the point? JoeL has neither showed the instinct to get in on goal, or the finishing. Same would be true for Almiron, they seem fine until they get in the penalty area, then they become rabbits in headlights.

23 minutes ago, Lotus said:

“SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT” scream 53,000 fans.

Keeper puts his foot on the ball from the resulting shot and sweeps it to a full-back setting the other team on an attack.

“SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, GET HIM OFF”, scream 53,000 fans.

38 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Joelinton cannot shoot and Almiron cannot play RW. This would be a disaster.

Jo and Bruno CM, Willock ahead of them, Fraser (or Murphy) RW. I know that's deficient, but round pegs in round holes please, especially when we've repeatedly tried the square pegs and seen how badly they fit.

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Can't wait for this game. Not necessarily looking forward to it but kind of want it over with so I have a slightly better idea of where we're at.

Yep, really interested to see how the manager plans to make these players work together. We all have our theories, but Howe will have his own reasons he wanted certain players in, and how it will all gel eventually. With Bruno in there, not to mention Joelinton if he's fit, there should be a lot more cohesion in moving the ball back to front, and having Burn and Targett should help there too, Burn is meant to be quite good at bringing the ball out.

36 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Keeper puts his foot on the ball from the resulting shot and sweeps it to a full-back setting the other team on an attack.

More like keeper jogs forward to pick up the stationary ball from the resulting shot, and sweeps it to a full-back setting the other team on an attack.

51 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He hits a very clean strike but they always go wide. Anything on target trickles. Bizarre.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm no fan of Shelvey but I don't think he's been quite as bad as the posts on here would have you believe. I don't think it's the end of the world if he plays, particularly if it's alongside Guimarães.

Correct. He's been far better than Willock who people are suggesting starts

Just now, jack j said:

Correct. He's been far better than Willock who people are suggesting starts

Will Shelvey be able to run on to Bruno G's throughball, or Wood with his pace? To utilize one of his best assets we need someone to run on and actually able to score. Willock offers that chance more so than Shelvey ever will.

Just now, worthy said:

Will Shelvey be able to run on to Bruno G's throughball, or Wood with his pace? To utilize one of his best assets we need someone to run on and actually able to score. Willock offers that chance more so than Shelvey ever will.

Willocks invincible I'd rather he was nowhere near the team. Whether that means shelvey starting or not

It's been like playing with 10 men with willock this season

1 minute ago, worthy said:

This is it. Shelvey is far better on the ball actually, he protects it quite well, but he does it in useless spaces, we need people who will make runs the box and hurt the opposition.

I don't think Shelvey will be dropped and tbh I don't think I would drop him. The midfield 3 I'd go for this will be him, Bruno and Willock. Even though Joelinton has been class under Howe he's best used in games or situations where we don't expect to win or have the lion's share of possession. He doesn't have the instinct to break into the box and that's been a problem for us so far this season as the stats and heatmaps prove: we simply don't get enough players in the box. Bruno should be able to add quality on the ball as well as protection from midfield that Joelinton has been providing whereas Willock's game is making the runs beyond the forwards as we saw in the latter stages v Leeds.

For this game I'd go: Dubravka, Trippier, Lascelles, Burn, Targett, Bruno, Shelvey, Willock, Fraser, Wood, ASM.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I don't think Shelvey will be dropped and tbh I don't think I would drop him. The midfield 3 I'd go for this will be him, Bruno and Willock. Even though Joelinton has been class under Howe he's best used in games or situations where we don't expect to win or have the lion's share of possession. He doesn't have the instinct to break into the box and that's been a problem for us so far this season as the stats and heatmaps prove: we simply don't get enough players in the box. Bruno should be able to add quality on the ball as well as protection from midfield that Joelinton has been providing whereas Willock's game is making the runs beyond the forwards as we saw in the latter stages v Leeds.

For this game I'd go: Dubravka, Trippier, Lascelles, Burn, Targett, Bruno, Shelvey, Willock, Fraser, Wood, ASM.

Disagree on that like, in the match against Leeds, Joelinton's stats in 40 mins were the equivalent of Shelvey's in the full 90 mins according to one source. Just think if you put Shelvey in there in his place, you are automatically going to be conceding the middle ground.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Disagree on that like, in the match against Leeds, Joelinton's stats in 40 mins were the equivalent of Shelvey's in the full 90 mins according to one source. Just think if you put Shelvey in there in his place, you are automatically going to be conceding the middle ground.

I'm putting Bruno in there, not Shelvey. Shelvey will stay in his position in that midfield 3. Either way, we had more chances going forward after Joelinton went off v Leeds. When he's on the pitch we don't get numbers in the box.

It sounds like I'm having a go at Joelinton who has been magnificent lately, but I'm not. Horses for courses.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'm putting Bruno in there, not Shelvey. Shelvey will stay in his position in that midfield 3. Either way, we had more chances going forward after Joelinton went off v Leeds. When he's on the pitch we don't get numbers in the box.

It sounds like I'm having a go at Joelinton who has been magnificent lately, but I'm not. Horses for courses.

Yes but two horses will still give you more output that one and a half. I don't get the correlation between numbers in the box and Joelinton, the second half of Leeds also had Manquillo and Longstaff as big factors. I wouldn't necessarily say the better performance was down to just one thing.

But anyway, I think with Joelinton going off injured we'll see Shelvey lining up anyway so let's see.