Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

All the noises from Howe suggest Bruno G will start.

He's going to find the pace tough and they'll probably leave a few bad tackles on him early on but he looks like he can handle himself.

Why's that?

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I really don't think there's ever been a possibility that he won't play. He's our most critical signing for probably 10 years.

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

He’s a 24 year old full international, who has played in two countries. Played most of this season, who is better than anyone in our midfield. He has stated himself he wants to start immediately. It’s madness to leave him out.

2 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Absolute madness to even suggest not starting Bruno he's a top athlete and by the videos of him coming into the club he's raring to go. I'd rather give him 60-70 minutes than bring him on off the bench the game could be lost by then.

1 hour ago, nemtizz said:

Why's that?

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

The Premier League can be a shock to the system for most players who come here first.

He could well be fine, hopefully that's the case.

Guys, it's gonna be his first ever EPL game, have a little pacience, the pace of the EPL is different, he' got few UCL games and only 2 international games under his belt (and in one he was horrible on the pitch). 

He's still a 24y old kid, adapting to a new league specially the EPL is not easy. I'm going to watch the match too, but I don't expect him to be amazing today, if he isn't bad I'd say is more than enough for a first game on the new league.

Edited by JNK

A win would be massive, but it's not must win. It's maybe a "must not lose". A point could see us out of the relegation zone, which would be canny, but we need to going for the win. I think it will boil down to game management in the end. Will be more confident if Burn is 100% fit to start. Don't want somebody standing on his toe after 5 mins and using up a sub.

People need to temper their expectations somewhat. Looking at Everton's side, and they have a lot of attacking talent. Dele, Gray, Richarlison, Townsend, and now you can add Van Beek to that as well. Not sure our front three of ASM, Wood and Fraser compares that well tbh. Hopefully Bruno and Trippier can even it out a bit although they are positioned a bit further back.

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

A win would be massive, but it's not must win. It's maybe a "must not lose". A point could see us out of the relegation zone, which would be canny, but we need to going for the win. I think it will boil down to game management in the end. Will be more confident if Burn is 100% fit to start. Don't want somebody standing on his toe after 5 mins and using up a sub.

I'd be very surprised if he couldn't play, it's an infected toenail. Surely he'll be bandaged up and given a small pain killer a few hours before kick-off?

28 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

The Premier League can be a shock to the system for most players who come here first.

Given the intensity he plays with and his stamina I can't see it being an issue.

1 minute ago, nemtizz said:

Given the intensity he plays with and his stamina I can't see it being an issue.

Yeah, he looks like that fairly slender frame hides a titanium exoskeleton inside. I'm thinking of T2 the cop in Terminator 2.

Guest carpetman1
34 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I see this a lot. As I don't watch the football in other countries, can someone explain how ours is so epically difficult?

2 minutes ago, carpetman1 said:

I see this a lot. As I don't watch the football in other countries, can someone explain how ours is so epically difficult?

Traditionally the intensity and tempo was a lot higher in the prem and refs are a bit more lenient.  It still is than most leagues but as I said about Ligue 1 is quite close to the prem in that regard now. 

Edited by relámpago blanco

For me it’s not that other leagues are not physical or intense or fast paced, it’s just that here in England it’s all of that and constantly in every game. That’s what some players struggle to adapt to or can take time to adapt to. There is also less space in our game and time on the ball. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I hope people don't kick off if Bruno doesn't start. I'm certain we haven't spent £40million+ for him to be a squad player; if he's on the bench it's cos he isn't physically/mentally ready to go from the off, having only arrived a couple of days ago. Obviously I hope he goes straight in and shows us what he's capable of immediately. 

It's the typical fans vs manager. People who think football is as easy as just play the right players and we win, when in reality it's a lot more complicated than that. 

Obviously we all want Bruno to start, but it would be completely understandable if Howe wants to go with the players he's prepared for the game for two and a half weeks with. 

29 minutes ago, HTT II said:

For me it’s not that other leagues are not physical or intense or fast paced, it’s just that here in England it’s all of that and constantly in every game. That’s what some players struggle to adapt to or can take time to adapt to. There is also less space in our game and time on the ball. 

Don't know if it's the same in France, but some of the pitches are huge in Spain, that makes it less easy to get on top of players with the high press.