Bruno Guimarães (c)

Fantail Breeze

25 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

It has to be him and Joelinton in a midfield two, with three attackers and Wood up top. Him and Joe would perfectly complement one another, Joe to break up attacks and keep composure and Bruno to thread through balls to runners. 

It's quite exciting - Wilson would love this type of service too. Might see Willock get a few goals and may even give Miggy a new lease of life. I think whilst Wood is here Fraser will be starting though, for that crossing ability. 

Wont happen, Howe loves shelvey too much to drop him.

58 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He'll be given time to adjust, but he might not necessarily need it. I've said elsewhere having a player who can not only cover the defence, but bring the ball out and pick a pass should be hugely beneficial in speeding up our pedestrian attacks.

He does look rapid when winning the ball, moving at pace on the turn and then is happy to thead a pass early while defenders are retreating. I'm extremely excited to see him play.

3 hours ago, Smal said:

As much as Shelvey has been the better performer than Willock, I think i’d want Bruno at the base with Willock and Jo ahead of him. At least then you have a possible goal threat and willing forward runner in Willock; something we’d really be missing with a 3 of Bruno/Shelvey/Jo.

That's the midfield trio I would like ideally, as you said, it gives you the added goal threat and a bit of pace from Willock, and with Joe and Bruno behind him, he should have more licence to get forward. But he'll have to look after the ball a bit better, I have a feeling Howe will probably stick to Shelvey to begin with, for all his faults he rarely loses possession.

18 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Surely Joe has to sit the deepest?

I don’t think you want him sitting. He needs to be getting up and down the pitch winning the ball and progressing it. He is very effective at covering ASM’s defensive responsibilities out on the left too. 

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

We need Bruno starting the attacks. Joelinton isn't that great on the ball we don't want him picking the ball up off the defence.

Yeah, we desperately need someone just in front of the defence to effectively move the ball forward. It's so frustrating how often Shelvey in particular gets the ball, sees no options then just turns and passes back to the defence.

20 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

We need Bruno starting the attacks. Joelinton isn't that great on the ball we don't want him picking the ball up off the defence.

Joelinton has been exceptional at passing out of tight situations. Get Shelvey on direct plays, Joelinton doing what he does and give Bruno the license to choose.

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Joelinton has been exceptional at passing out of tight situations. Get Shelvey on direct plays, Joelinton doing what he does and give Bruno the license to choose.

He's not going to pick the ball up and start spraying it across the pitch, that's not his game. He's good in midfield because he's powerful defensively and offensively running with the ball.

I think people are getting carried away with Joelinton in midfield, he's there for a reason and it isn't his passing abilities.

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

He's not going to pick the ball up and start spraying it across the pitch, that's not his game. He's good in midfield because he's powerful defensively and offensively running with the ball.

I think people are getting carried away with Joelinton in midfield, he's there for a reason and it isn't his passing abilities.

I quite clearly didn't say that. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Joe's passing has been v. good imo. Forward, nice weight etc. think he has the hallmarks of a fabulous 4-3-3 number 8 type. Just can't shoot.

Very true. Always thought he had good feet, even when he was a failing striker. He can usually manipulate the ball quite well in tight spaces under pressure before laying it off, I think that holds him in good stead in midfield. Can spot a decent forward pass now and then as well.