Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

9 hours ago, Paullow said:

The use of him during this tournament was an absolute disgrace. Newcastle may not have a top 4 reputation (yet), but with 20 wins and 8 draws in their 34 matches of 2022, Newcastle have been a top 4 team throughout this calendar year, and he has been an absolutely enormous part of that rise up the table. Perhaps bar Joelinton, he has been the most important and effective front 6 player since he arrived, so he is an absolute catalyst for a side who have effectively been a top side, not a bit player for a 'big 6' club, pretty much the main man and heartbeat.

I still don't know what was going on in that Cameroon match. Someone on here mentioned he may have been earmarked to start the L16 match should Neymar not be ready in time, and that may well be the case, but it ended up backfiring badly. Not only did he end up being pretty much the only outfield player not to start a match for them (bearing in mind they made 9 changes in that match), when he came on he was obviously trying massively to make an impression, and ended up being a scapegoat, and was never seen since, so ended up not even starting the 'reserve' match, and barely amassing 60 (substitute) minutes in total in their 5+ matches. He's now 25 as well, so not as if he's some young'un who they'll try and ease in slowly.

Pathetic really.

Yep, I mean I know they have quality in depth, but can’t help thinking (1) Big Joe would have searched and destroyed through that Croatian midfield, and (2) it was a Bruno type game, especially with his mate alongside.
Not complaining, couldn’t see England beating that Brazil side in a final. Could see us beating Croatia or Argentina. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

9 hours ago, Paullow said:

The use of him during this tournament was an absolute disgrace. Newcastle may not have a top 4 reputation (yet), but with 20 wins and 8 draws in their 34 matches of 2022, Newcastle have been a top 4 team throughout this calendar year, and he has been an absolutely enormous part of that rise up the table. Perhaps bar Joelinton, he has been the most important and effective front 6 player since he arrived, so he is an absolute catalyst for a side who have effectively been a top side, not a bit player for a 'big 6' club, pretty much the main man and heartbeat.

I still don't know what was going on in that Cameroon match. Someone on here mentioned he may have been earmarked to start the L16 match should Neymar not be ready in time, and that may well be the case, but it ended up backfiring badly. Not only did he end up being pretty much the only outfield player not to start a match for them (bearing in mind they made 9 changes in that match), when he came on he was obviously trying massively to make an impression, and ended up being a scapegoat, and was never seen since, so ended up not even starting the 'reserve' match, and barely amassing 60 (substitute) minutes in total in their 5+ matches. He's now 25 as well, so not as if he's some young'un who they'll try and ease in slowly.

Pathetic really.

Agree with this. I’m glad they’re out, TBH. Croatia bore me to tears. But Brazil’s tactics were odd, as was Tite’s use of Bruno. So fuck them. 

The media over here have been really weird about Brazil and all. Constantly fawning over them like this team could be on a par to some of the great Brazil teams of the past. It’s a bit smart after the event. But I never saw it myself. 

Always funny when a team loses on pens and their best taker goes fifth, then never even takes one. 

If I was him, I'd be absolutely fuming. Knocked out AND not being given a chance to change their fortunes.

Imagine if Brazil had decided to play Eddie ball and gone with a front six of:

Casemiro

Bruno                   Joelinton 

Raphinha                                     Vini Jr

Richarlison 

Played as a team. Pressed the ball. Options from the bench. Job done.

“Joelinton Casemiro Bruno” is a disgustingly strong and technical midfield like, it would never happen like and it’s easy to argue against it. Add Raphinha and Jesus and it’s ready made for energetic, pressing football with plenty of flair.

EDIT: What STM said basically [emoji38]

Edited by Hanshithispantz

30 minutes ago, STM said:

If I was him, I'd be absolutely fuming. Knocked out AND not being given a chance to change their fortunes.

Imagine if Brazil had decided to play Eddie ball and gone with a front six of:

Casemiro

Bruno                   Joelinton 

Raphinha                                     Vini Jr

Richarlison 

Played as a team. Pressed the ball. Options from the bench. Job done.

No chance Neymar isn’t playing.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:31, Yorkie said:

I don't really feel any amusement or relief at the stupidity of him not featuring. Fred occupying that spot is pretty compelling evidence of ESL bias when it comes to national team selection. 

just seen this Wow :lol: Ridiculous take.

Nothing to do with ”ESL” at all. Fred was part of the set up long before he joined Manchester United.

Fred featured because he had played well for Brazil for a long time and Tite is stubborn, so despite with a downtrending form he didn’t have too much confidencen in leaving him out and when he did, he did it for an offensive player in Richarlison (Brazil was supposed to start the tournament with Neymar as a false 9 until friendlies in september made gim change his mind).

As for Bruno circumstances killed him and the team. I am adamant we would’ve won it all had Tite taken  Neymar out after the 1-0 and solidified that midfield with either Bruno or even more so with Fabinho (who is better defensively, in the air and a great penalty taker did it come to that). 

Bruno will feature for Brazil going forward and will be one of the best players when we eventually win it in 2026. Unless Casemiro keeps playing like he is, I can see Fabinho and Bruno forming a formidable central midfield. As for Joelinton, I hope he gets a chance to showcase his abilities for the national team, but I don’t have big hopes for him to cement a place even within the squad. 

On 10/12/2022 at 09:24, Lush Vlad said:

Agree with this. I’m glad they’re out, TBH. Croatia bore me to tears. But Brazil’s tactics were odd, as was Tite’s use of Bruno. So fuck them. 

The media over here have been really weird about Brazil and all. Constantly fawning over them like this team could be on a par to some of the great Brazil teams of the past. It’s a bit smart after the event. But I never saw it myself. 

Always funny when a team loses on pens and their best taker goes fifth, then never even takes one. 

Agree regarding the pens, but as for the team: This is for me the best Brazil team I’ve seen since the one in 2002 (during the World Cup, was a mess in qualifiers). I’ve followed this four year cycle and it’s been dominant and getting better and better. The only loss came in a Copa America final in a tournament where Brazilian players didn’t want to play the tournament because of COVID and last minute moved the tournament to Brazil as well and teams forced to play.

Say what you want, but this team was ridiculously solid and had talent going forward. This team didn’t concede a shot on goal for 296minutes against Serbia, Switzerland and Croatia. Only went out because Fred who came in to close the middle of the park decided to venture forward with another 6 players. Croatia managed to get a counter-attack with four minutes to go despite being down 1-0 and scored in their first shot on goal through a deflection (or Alisson would’ve saved it easily). Even the loss with the reserves against Cameroon should’ve ended at least 5-1. 

Brazil had 7 players on the wrong side of the pitch with four minutes to go. These four minutes became four years... 

11 minutes ago, Flip said:

just seen this Wow :lol: Ridiculous take.

Nothing to do with ”ESL” at all. Fred was part of the set up long before he joined Manchester United.

Fred featured because he had played well for Brazil for a long time and Tite is stubborn, so despite with a downtrending form he didn’t have too much confidencen in leaving him out and when he did, he did it for an offensive player in Richarlison (Brazil was supposed to start the tournament with Neymar as a false 9 until friendlies in september made gim change his mind).

As for Bruno circumstances killed him and the team. I am adamant we would’ve won it all had Tite taken  Neymar out after the 1-0 and solidified that midfield with either Bruno or even more so with Fabinho (who is better defensively, in the air and a great penalty taker did it come to that). 

Bruno will feature for Brazil going forward and will be one of the best players when we eventually win it in 2026. Unless Casemiro keeps playing like he is, I can see Fabinho and Bruno forming a formidable central midfield. As for Joelinton, I hope he gets a chance to showcase his abilities for the national team, but I don’t have big hopes for him to cement a place even within the squad. 

Agree regarding the pens, but as for the team: This is for me the best Brazil team I’ve seen since the one in 2002 (during the World Cup, was a mess in qualifiers). I’ve followed this four year cycle and it’s been dominant and getting better and better. The only loss came in a Copa America final in a tournament where Brazilian players didn’t want to play the tournament because of COVID and last minute moved the tournament to Brazil as well and teams forced to play.

Say what you want, but this team was ridiculously solid and had talent going forward. This team didn’t concede a shot on goal for 296minutes against Serbia, Switzerland and Croatia. Only went out because Fred who came in to close the middle of the park decided to venture forward with another 6 players. Croatia managed to get a counter-attack with four minutes to go despite being down 1-0 and scored in their first shot on goal through a deflection (or Alisson would’ve saved it easily). Even the loss with the reserves against Cameroon should’ve ended at least 5-1. 

Brazil had 7 players on the wrong side of the pitch with four minutes to go. These four minutes became four years... 

I get that but tbf to Joelinton. He's fundamental to a team currently pushing for top 4 and also offers something that Brazil could genuinely utilise in the middle of the park. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

@Flip 'ESL' is just my deliberately disparaging term for any team like Man Utd, etc. 

Fair enough regarding the rest of the explanation. Wasn't really any need for the condescension. 

I do realize that, but Fred has been in the team since his Shaktar days. in fact he was there in the last World Cup. Plenty of ”ESL” club players snubbed in this World Cup. 

As for the last sentence, You are right and I do apologize. :thup: It just did my head in reading ”compelling evidence” when has nothing to do with it.

Anyhow, hope Bruno can pick up from where he left off. 

Just now, Likelylad said:

I get that but tbf to Joelinton. He's fundamental to a team currently pushing for top 4 and also offers something that Brazil could genuinely utilise in the middle of the park. 

Pope, Wilson and Trippier were benched for England, Schär for Switzerland, Botman, Burn, Longstaff not called up. Club football and international football are two different things. Not every international manager is an idiot. There’s absolutely nothing Joelinton could’ve offered Brazil as the problem for the team was finishing and he’s not a good finisher. xG was the highest in the tournament for Brazil and xG against the lowest for those that like stats.

7 minutes ago, Flip said:

I do realize that, but Fred has been in the team since his Shaktar days. in fact he was there in the last World Cup. Plenty of ”ESL” club players snubbed in this World Cup. 

As for the last sentence, You are right and I do apologize. :thup: It just did my head in reading ”compelling evidence” when has nothing to do with it.

Anyhow, hope Bruno can pick up from where he left off. 

Fair dos, based on what you say clearly it wasn't compelling. :lol:

1 minute ago, dembabah said:

Fred is fucking shit.

He is, defended him previously for the national side as he had a few decent performances and I felt he deserved a place in the squad, but og boy was I wrong.  This WC he was an embarrassment.