Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

1 hour ago, Flip said:

just seen this Wow :lol: Ridiculous take.

Nothing to do with ”ESL” at all. Fred was part of the set up long before he joined Manchester United.

Fred featured because he had played well for Brazil for a long time and Tite is stubborn, so despite with a downtrending form he didn’t have too much confidencen in leaving him out and when he did, he did it for an offensive player in Richarlison (Brazil was supposed to start the tournament with Neymar as a false 9 until friendlies in september made gim change his mind).

As for Bruno circumstances killed him and the team. I am adamant we would’ve won it all had Tite taken  Neymar out after the 1-0 and solidified that midfield with either Bruno or even more so with Fabinho (who is better defensively, in the air and a great penalty taker did it come to that). 

Bruno will feature for Brazil going forward and will be one of the best players when we eventually win it in 2026. Unless Casemiro keeps playing like he is, I can see Fabinho and Bruno forming a formidable central midfield. As for Joelinton, I hope he gets a chance to showcase his abilities for the national team, but I don’t have big hopes for him to cement a place even within the squad. 

Agree regarding the pens, but as for the team: This is for me the best Brazil team I’ve seen since the one in 2002 (during the World Cup, was a mess in qualifiers). I’ve followed this four year cycle and it’s been dominant and getting better and better. The only loss came in a Copa America final in a tournament where Brazilian players didn’t want to play the tournament because of COVID and last minute moved the tournament to Brazil as well and teams forced to play.

Say what you want, but this team was ridiculously solid and had talent going forward. This team didn’t concede a shot on goal for 296minutes against Serbia, Switzerland and Croatia. Only went out because Fred who came in to close the middle of the park decided to venture forward with another 6 players. Croatia managed to get a counter-attack with four minutes to go despite being down 1-0 and scored in their first shot on goal through a deflection (or Alisson would’ve saved it easily). Even the loss with the reserves against Cameroon should’ve ended at least 5-1. 

Brazil had 7 players on the wrong side of the pitch with four minutes to go. These four minutes became four years... 

Fabinho has been poor for us the last six months or so. Either this is a temporary loss in form which has now start to go one for some time or the beginning of a physical decline. If it is the latter, you might need another CM to partner Bruno in the next world cup. 

17 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Fabinho has been poor for us the last six months or so. Either this is a temporary loss in form which has now start to go one for some time or the beginning of a physical decline. If it is the latter, you might need another CM to partner Bruno in the next world cup. 

Your whole team has been poor though, even van Dijk, TAA, Robbo etc. It’s clearly a matter of motivation and form than physical decline.

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

Your whole team has been poor though, even van Dijk, TAA, Robbo etc. It’s clearly a matter of motivation and form than physical decline.

There is different degrees of poor. Van Dijk and Robbo have been below their usual standards. Fabinho has been really poor. Thiago and Henderson have been carrying him when fit the last few months.  

I wasn't really expecting Bruno to get a game for Brazil. Tite has his ideas, he obviously didn't favour Bruno when he was in France. While he has been class for Newcastle, international managers don't usually change their preferences that often.

Don't really see why we should be too bothered, hopefully he'll be so class for us that he gets in easily next time. 

Lacked legs and control in midfield versus Croatia @Flip don’t kid yourself on the xG on that one. Your manager subbed off the wrong guys and brought on the wrong guys. Your analysis in last few posts still not admitting the issue. Bruno solves much of that; had big Jow been in the squad and came on after 1-0 you’d have had a chance to play the Argies. 

5 hours ago, Kanji said:

Lacked legs and control in midfield versus Croatia @Flip don’t kid yourself on the xG on that one. Your manager subbed off the wrong guys and brought on the wrong guys. Your analysis in last few posts still not admitting the issue. Bruno solves much of that; had big Jow been in the squad and came on after 1-0 you’d have had a chance to play the Argies. 

[emoji38] Joelinton. He wouldn’t have solved any issue. I’m not really sure what you want me to admit to? Like I said, I believe Bruno or Fabinho would’ve solved a lot of the issue towards the second half of ET, but moreso by taking Neymar off at that moment as he was knackered and didn’t contribute a second.

This talk about ”control in midfield” is a false narrative based on the first 25 minutes and just shows the lack of knowledge towards the way Brazil plays as well as trying to fit in an argument as to why a Newcastle player should’ve been part of the squad. I said it at halftime and I say it again, Brazil let Serbia, Switzerland do the same for the first 30minites. France lets other teams do the same for 90minutes but they’re lethal. Never seen anyone except for this forum say Joelinton would’ve been the answer to anything. Brazil lost due to a counter-attack in the 116th minute when committing too many tired legs forward when there was absolutely no need. Furthermore, Casemiro on a yellow was the only one capable of killing that counter and he decided not to get sent off so far off the goal, and then lastly that deflection. 

You try and make it seem like Brazil lost 5-0 when in fact the team was superior in every sense apart from the first 30minutes except finishing. Game should’ve been dead by then, unfortusntely football is about details especially in knock out stages. Just lmagine if Kane scores, maybe England would’ve been in the final tonight.

Fwiw, I do believe Bruno deserved more chances and I am sure he will be a major part of the set up in this next 4 year cycle. 

38 minutes ago, Flip said:

[emoji38] Joelinton. He wouldn’t have solved any issue. I’m not really sure what you want me to admit to? Like I said, I believe Bruno or Fabinho would’ve solved a lot of the issue towards the second half of ET, but moreso by taking Neymar off at that moment as he was knackered and didn’t contribute a second.

This talk about ”control in midfield” is a false narrative based on the first 25 minutes and just shows the lack of knowledge towards the way Brazil plays as well as trying to fit in an argument as to why a Newcastle player should’ve been part of the squad. I said it at halftime and I say it again, Brazil let Serbia, Switzerland do the same for the first 30minites. France lets other teams do the same for 90minutes but they’re lethal. Never seen anyone except for this forum say Joelinton would’ve been the answer to anything. Brazil lost due to a counter-attack in the 116th minute when committing too many tired legs forward when there was absolutely no need. Furthermore, Casemiro on a yellow was the only one capable of killing that counter and he decided not to get sent off so far off the goal, and then lastly that deflection. 

You try and make it seem like Brazil lost 5-0 when in fact the team was superior in every sense apart from the first 30minutes except finishing. Game should’ve been dead by then, unfortusntely football is about details especially in knock out stages. Just lmagine if Kane scores, maybe England would’ve been in the final tonight.

Fwiw, I do believe Bruno deserved more chances and I am sure he will be a major part of the set up in this next 4 year cycle. 

Can’t speak for @Kanji, or anyone else, and I appreciate you are far more knowledgeable about the assets and tactics within the Brazil squad, but I genuinely thought (black and white bias aside) that a Joelinton in ‘search and destroy mode’ would have really helped Brazil break-up the Croatian midfield possession and recover the ball for others to do their, potentially amazing, thing. He may not be among the top five or six available Brazilian midfielders,  or there may be even more ahead of him, you tell me. But I think balance and complementary styles is what makes a great team. Not necessarily the most skilful 11 individuals. 

20 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Can’t speak for @Kanji, or anyone else, and I appreciate you are far more knowledgeable about the assets and tactics within the Brazil squad, but I genuinely thought (black and white bias aside) that a Joelinton in ‘search and destroy mode’ would have really helped Brazil break-up the Croatian midfield possession and recover the ball for others to do their, potentially amazing, thing. He may not be among the top five or six available Brazilian midfielders,  or there may be even more ahead of him, you tell me. But I think balance and complementary styles is what makes a great team. Not necessarily the most skilful 11 individuals. 

The 50% possession Croatia had you mean? The team that actually let Croatia have the ball for the least time of any opposition in the WC with Belgium? Croatia marked high up the pitch and then kept control of the ball for 30minutes as Brazil settled in. What exactly could Joelinton have done? Any non-Newcastle fan would laugh at the notion that Joelinton could’ve been the difference against Modric Kovacic and Brozovic. And nothing, absolutely nothing suggests he would. Anyways. Howay Bruno! 

Joelinton is one of the most disruptive midfielders in the world though, it doesn't really matter what non-Newcastle fans think.

It's obviously completely hypothetical that he (or Bruno) actually make a difference, but stopping the opposing midfield from functioning is Joelinton's wheelhouse.

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

The 50% possession Croatia had you mean? The team that actually let Croatia have the ball for the least time of any opposition in the WC with Belgium? Croatia marked high up the pitch and then kept control of the ball for 30minutes as Brazil settled in. What exactly could Joelinton have done? Any non-Newcastle fan would laugh at the notion that Joelinton could’ve been the difference against Modric Kovacic and Brozovic. And nothing, absolutely nothing suggests he would. Anyways. Howay Bruno! 

Well we’ll never know and it isn’t something that can be reasoned out. Just saying, I personally think Joelinton’s style, his energy and persistence in breaking-up opposition play (in an Amrabat kind of way) would have potentially made a positive difference and perhaps the critical difference.  Especially coupled with his Newcastle team mate alongside. 

you lot are absolutely insane [emoji38]. Is Big Joe a top 3 midfielder in the world now? Sounds like we should win the league with this guy that can dominate a midfield by himself. Bruno I do agree, he’s a guy that could control the tempo with the ball and especially when Croatia were sitting deep from 2nd half. He’s going to be one of the most important players for Brazil going forward. 

8 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Joelinton would offer more than Fred, that's for sure. 

Oh based on the performances last 12months you are absolutely right. Neither should’ve been near a quarter-finals of the WC though. It’s laughable to even suggest something as ridiculous. 

Edited by Flip

Joelinton has been a huge part of the midfield that has been one of the best teams in the PL over the last 12 months, don't think it's ridiculous at all to say that he would have offered something to any side at the world cup. 

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

you lot are absolutely insane [emoji38]. Is Big Joe a top 3 midfielder in the world now? Sounds like we should win the league with this guy that can dominate a midfield by himself. Bruno I do agree, he’s a guy that could control the tempo with the ball and especially when Croatia were sitting deep from 2nd half. He’s going to be one of the most important players for Brazil going forward. 

Oh based on the performances last 12months you are absolutely right. Neither should’ve been near a quarter-finals of the WC though. It’s laughable to even suggest something as ridiculous. 

Well, madness/insanity is really only used for something that isn’t understood, where someone sees no reasoned thought in it. There’s plenty of reasoned thought in the ‘shame you didn’t have a Brazillian Amrabat on the bench’. Neither he nor Joelinton are world beaters in terms of goal threat. They are both great at breaking up play and enabling others to create. So I prefer the Shakespeare quote, for this specific issue: “Though this be madness, yet there is method in't!”

24 minutes ago, Flip said:

The standard of the PL is comfortably higher than the WC.  Morocco and Croatia were in the semi finals - it doesn't seem laughable to me that Joelinton had something to offer.  He doesn't need to be a top three midfielder in the world - just a decent one.  Joelinton is an excellent midfield destroyer - I wouldn't go as far as to suggest Brazil should play him, but then again they were playing Fred, Paqueta and Casemiro - and I wouldn't swap Joelinton for any of those three at present.

24 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The standard of the PL is comfortably higher than the WC.  Morocco and Croatia were in the semi finals - it doesn't seem laughable to me that Joelinton had something to offer.  He doesn't need to be a top three midfielder in the world - just a decent one.  Joelinton is an excellent midfield destroyer - I wouldn't go as far as to suggest Brazil should play him, but then again they were playing Fred, Paqueta and Casemiro - and I wouldn't swap Joelinton for any of those three at present.

club bias is helluva drug.