Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

He's going to continue to lose possession. Howe recognises the net benefit, luckily. He takes the ball in deep positions, inviting pressure by design, and opens up spaces for others (did it today expertly for the Wilson goal) on a regular basis. If this doesn't work, he wins fouls an awful lot.

5 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

He's going to continue to lose possession. Howe recognises the net benefit, luckily. He takes the ball in deep positions, inviting pressure by design, and opens up spaces for others (did it today expertly for the Wilson goal) on a regular basis. If this doesn't work, he wins fouls an awful lot.

He won't lose it much he's just rusty, it's the first game of the season.

56 minutes ago, Rod said:

Not at all.  He's a great player.  Shite today though.

Hod going balls deep on the bloke who’d genuinely call him Hod is spot on. This is what I live for.

I thought he was average, maybe a touch below that, hope those saying shite/poor are just exaggerating 

He had some really good moments but there was too many sloppy passes which isn't like him, then you add the silly booking he got 

He's still lush and he'll be back to his best soon enough 

1 hour ago, duo said:

I think sometimes he tries too hard - where before he was keeping things simple.

Yup. Seen him try a few daft pieces of skill like the roulette a few times last season when he wasn't getting into the game. He knows he's the main man and wants to put on a show for the fans. As long as it's not costing us games, I'm fine with it. I think if you tried telling him to keep it simple or not go for the extravagant, it would have an adverse effect on his game. 

Also, he was involved in the first goal. Shot parried, found a way to Joe - Gordon - Tonali. 

Edited by Astroblack

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Not at all.  He's a great player.  Shite today though.

Not shite at all. We won 5-1 which indicates everyone played pretty well. Not everyone will fire on all cylinders at the same time. There will be ebbs and flows, but so long as enough are on form at the same time we will win many more than we will lose. Hell be back on top form soon enough.

33 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

I think getting the contract stuff resolved will only help things tbh.

I think he’s a wee bit cheeky with the contract stuff at present tbh.  Again, I thought he played perfectly fine - but it was another 2023 Bruno display.  I’m not seeing why he needs a bumper new contract at present. 

53 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think he’s a wee bit cheeky with the contract stuff at present tbh.  Again, I thought he played perfectly fine - but it was another 2023 Bruno display.  I’m not seeing why he needs a bumper new contract at present. 

By the end of this season he'll have 2 years left on his contract. He's already worth well over double what we paid for him. It's not just in the interest of the player to extend his contract, its huge for the club as well. Adds an extra £10/15M on his asking price if Madrid come knocking in the summer and he's got 4 years left instead of 2.

14 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

By the end of this season he'll have 2 years left on his contract. He's already worth well over double what we paid for him. It's not just in the interest of the player to extend his contract, its huge for the club as well. Adds an extra £10/15M on his asking price if Madrid come knocking in the summer and he's got 4 years left instead of 2.

Agreed re contract length, though I think the chances of Real Madrid coming a’calling are close to zero at the moment 

He looks like he’s lacking match sharpness at the moment but you often see that with a few players at the start of the season. He was definitely limited by the ankle last year but I think we’ll see him get back to form after a few more games. 

1 minute ago, Ash2579 said:

He’s class no doubt about it, he just looks a bit one paced and sluggish

Hopefully just needs a few games

Tonali coming in should help the burden and take the limelight off him

Tonali looks a leader out there already and as you say his presence already takes the pressure off Bruno a bit. 

4 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Yup. Seen him try a few daft pieces of skill like the roulette a few times last season when he wasn't getting into the game. He knows he's the main man and wants to put on a show

Also, he was involved in the first goal. Shot parried, found a way to Joe - Gordon - Tonali. 

Also started off the incredible move that ended in the fourth. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed re contract length, though I think the chances of Real Madrid coming a’calling are close to zero at the moment 

Right now I agree, he's not quite there. But if he has an extraordinary season or from January onwards then its possible. Especially as Toni Kroos and Modric are out of contract next summer, Madrid need a replacements.

Ancelotti is rotating out the modric kroos partnership this season, they have 4 excellent midfielders in Bellingham, canavinga, tchoumeni and valverdi. They maybe would go for a 5th but can't imagine they'd break the bank unless someone left. Have heard rumours of tchoumeni being offered around but he will be in the playing squad a lot more this season so could go either way.

Apologies to the players for me murdering spelling their names from memory

8 hours ago, Ash2579 said:

He’s class no doubt about it, he just looks a bit one paced and sluggish

Hopefully just needs a few games

Tonali coming in should help the burden and take the limelight off him

Aye. Hopefully it’s a lack of match sharpness. He wasn’t himself out there. That one where Watkins nabbed the ball from him, at his best he anticipates the challenge and quickens up.