1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Kevin Denkey

Mohamed Amoura

Jonathan David

Benjamin Sesko

Brian Brobbey 

Rafa Mujica

Viktor Gyokeres

Then there would be hundreds already on a list that would be cheap that would be risks, but we are not a club like Dortmund or RB, who are daring. 

And equally there will be lots that are very expensive or close to end of contracts with reputation, that again would be a risk, because like Nkunku currently, Warner, many others that turn up in the PL it doesn't always go to plan.

Fernando Torres great for one club, terrible for another.

I'm getting old, never even heard of half of those. VG won't be remotely cheap though. BB hasn't convinced me at all anytime I watch him either. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Fair enough. I think Isak’s ability exceeds Ferdinand’s by a distance but Ferdinand was an incredibly good goalscorer. He was like a better, fitter version of Callum Wilson who was also better in the air. Isak offers the team more than just goals. If Isak’s here next season he’ll move past Ferdinand unless he has injuries that keep him out for large parts of the season 

Good points - I do rate Ferdinand in leading the line though, he was way more than just a poacher and he completely bullied defenders in a way that Wilson never has. He was a battering ram. I think if Isak had someone like Ferdinand to play off, we'd have one scary forward line. But it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges - up top you've got Shearer and Ferdinand in that line-leading role, then you have someone like Isak who should be drifting about more as others make space for him to exploit. Hard to compare him to another player, he's pretty unique.

7 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Loved Sir Les but what Andy Cole did was exceptional. I’d have both of them above Isak for now.

Amazing goalscorer, can't disagree. Let's see what Isak becomes in the next couple of years.

47 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Well the discussion I'm having is who would be viable candidates to replace Isak should he be sold, and outside of Haaland, Isak is arguably the best Striker in the league right now with significantly higher potential, in my opinion. You're suggesting that there are hundreds of candidates on a database, albeit with risk, and I think that's a very questionable statement. I think suggesting it would be a risk to find a like for like replacement for Isak who's of similar ability with 100's of other players is inaccurate, I think that number is much, much lower for realistic targets who are even close to the level that he's at, and those who fit the bill will all be targets for bigger clubs than us, and that's the point of concern for me, thus my suggestion he's arguably irreplaceable. 

You're not getting it.

Were you saying all this about him when we went in for Isak?

According to your argument we should never have been able to sign him in the first place then.

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You're not getting it.

Were you saying all this about him when we went in for Isak?

According to your argument we should never have been able to sign him in the first place then.

Very interesting way you have of communicating with people, would suggest a slightly less arrogant approach rather than factually stating someone's opinion that differs to your own is plain wrong, but you do you!

Anyways... Yes, we could sign another unproven Striker who has potential, similar to what we did with Isak, I fully understand that, BUT, it's extremely unlikely they'll be remotely close to his level, as one of the best Strikers in the league.

Arsenal want a Striker, Chelsea want a Striker, possibly Man U want another Striker, to name just a few. It's my opinion, just an opinion, that we'll find it extremely difficult, bordering impossible, to replace Isak suitably, but sure we can gamble £80m on an unproven Striker when we are handcuffed already by FFP and hope it works out, it may well do so, but it's not an approach I'm a fan of and would do everything possible to avoid. 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Fair enough. I think Isak’s ability exceeds Ferdinand’s by a distance but Ferdinand was an incredibly good goalscorer. He was like a better, fitter version of Callum Wilson who was also better in the air. Isak offers the team more than just goals. If Isak’s here next season he’ll move past Ferdinand unless he has injuries that keep him out for large parts of the season 

I fully expect Isak to be here for at least next season as a minimum as with Bruno also. 

4 hours ago, mondonewc said:

Very interesting way you have of communicating with people, would suggest a slightly less arrogant approach rather than factually stating someone's opinion that differs to your own is plain wrong, but you do you!

Anyways... Yes, we could sign another unproven Striker who has potential, similar to what we did with Isak, I fully understand that, BUT, it's extremely unlikely they'll be remotely close to his level, as one of the best Strikers in the league.

Arsenal want a Striker, Chelsea want a Striker, possibly Man U want another Striker, to name just a few. It's my opinion, just an opinion, that we'll find it extremely difficult, bordering impossible, to replace Isak suitably, but sure we can gamble £80m on an unproven Striker when we are handcuffed already by FFP and hope it works out, it may well do so, but it's not an approach I'm a fan of and would do everything possible to avoid. 

It wasn't meant to be rude.

The point I was making is that all these things you are saying were still true back then when we got Isak.

Ultimately Bruno, Botman and Isak were all gambles that paid off. It's deemed a gamble from our side if the player isn't as well known or hasn't been as consistent as we would like, but ultimately that's where the recruitment and scouting comes in. Typically if their information and analysis is very good it tends to pay off.

Bruno, Isak, Botman, Gordon ... have all exceeded expectations, and so we seem to do a good job in that area.

If we stuck to proven commodities previously, that would have likely meant spending even more money and perhaps not getting players as good as who we did get. As an example, there was some talk of Calvert Lewin at the time we got Isak.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

It wasn't meant to be rude.

The point I was making is that all these things you are saying were still true back then when we got Isak.

Ultimately Bruno, Botman and Isak were all gambles that paid off. It's deemed a gamble from our side if the player isn't as well known or hasn't been as consistent as we would like, but ultimately that's where the recruitment and scouting comes in. Typically if their information and analysis is very good it tends to pay off.

Bruno, Isak, Botman, Gordon ... have all exceeded expectations, and so we seem to do a good job in that area.

If we stuck to proven commodities previously, that would have likely meant spending even more money and perhaps not getting players as good as who we did get. As an example, there was some talk of Calvert Lewin at the time we got Isak.

Fair enough, all gud. 

I would say the scenario now would be different though given when we made those signings, whilst there was a risk attached, in almost all if not all cases they were always going to be an upgrade on what we had previously whereas now we would be selling our best asset to allow us to manage FFP, and I would expect improve the team in multiple positions, so for me that's not the same as the example you suggested. 

Time will tell which route we go, hopefully FFP gets changed/scrapped and we can keep Bruno and Isak and build the team around them, one can dream!

Bruno Guimarães is the Brazilian who plays in Europe with the most recovered balls (285) in the 23/24 season! 46 games 3 goals 8 assists 95 tackles (!) 62 fouls (127 suffered!) 64 successful dribbles (61 %) 58 decisive passes (!) Sofascore Rating 7.29

Oh he’s definitely a “purple”

11 hours ago, HawK said:

Ferdinand

11 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Loved Sir Les but what Andy Cole did was exceptional. I’d have both of them above Isak for now.

11 hours ago, gbandit said:

Isak is comfortably a better footballer than Sir Les or Cole, for me.  He’s a better goalscorer as well - England’s top flight wasn’t close to the level it is today. 

Wilson is a better centre forward than Ferdinand for me, too.  Just constantly knackered. 

8 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Remember the stick he was getting early in the season just for not being 100% on his game. :lol:

I know 2-3 minutes highlight reels from a game can make players look better than they are.  But I almost gave up criticising him during a game, based on just watching the highlights afterwards.

Would regularly message a couple of mates during games when I thought he was below par.  Then you'd see back some of the outrageous passes or bits of skill he'd managed to pull off during the game and wonder WTF you were watching :lol:  

I've said it loads on here.  But it felt like he set the bar so high, regularly churning out 8 or 9s every week.  That when he dropped to a 7, whilst still being very good and one of our best players on the day.  He was getting stick, as it was noticeable.  I do think the fact he suddenly started scoring goals for us, something he hasn't really done throughout his career and then they dried up/he returned to normal on that front.  Will perhaps have skewed opinions a bit. 

I definitely think we have got a bit spoilt watching him and are taking him for granted.  

In my mind.  He is 100% our most important player and would be the hardest to replace.  For everything he brings on the ball, off the ball and all of the other intangibles like him being a mad fucker and loving it here.  

Edited by Lush Vlad

11 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I know 2-3 minutes highlight reels from a game can make players look better than they are.  But I almost gave up criticising him during a game, based on just watching the highlights afterwards.

Would regularly message a couple of mates during games when I thought he was below par.  Then you'd see back some of the outrageous passes or bits of skill he'd managed to pull off during the game and wonder WTF you were watching :lol:  

I've said it loads on here.  But it felt like he set the bar so high, regularly churning out 8 or 9s every week.  That when he dropped to a 7, whilst still being very good and one of our best players on the day.  He was getting stick, as it was noticeable.  I do think the fact he suddenly started scoring goals for us, something he hasn't really done throughout his career and then they dried up/he returned to normal on that front.  Will perhaps have skewed opinions a bit. 

I definitely think we have got a bit spoilt watching him and are taking him for granted.  

In my mind.  He is 100% our most important player and would be the hardest to replace.  For everything he brings on the ball, off the ball and all of the other intangibles like him being a mad fucker and loving it here.  

Completely this. I kinda get the Isak argument, but I doubt we'll ever see another Bruno in the shirt, whereas we'll see a lot of Isak's.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

There can't be more than a dozen players that we could sign that would immediately play and score at the level Isak does for us.

Can you name more than a dozen players who could come in and have Bruno's impact?

On 24/03/2024 at 12:47, El Prontonise said:

Cole's goal record at nufc for his time here will probably never be beaten.

Unless someone can regen Beardsley I agree.

8 minutes ago, TBG said:

Similair to Bellingham, do we retire the 39 shirt when he leaves?

I'd happily have it become an iconic number for us. Save and use it for our best CM talents. Maybe Miley one day.

Edited by 80

Just now, gbandit said:

Do we fuck want £85m for him

The thing is, clubs can make offers toward the value of the release clause, they'll start somewhere below that, and if Newcastle hold firm, fair enough. I think city could lure him away perhaps under the release clause, if they hold secret talks with his agent and Bruno throws in the towel, I would hope Bruno would never do that though, and if he is set on moving on, he get us the maximum value.