Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

3 hours ago, Joseph said:

The “just fuckin smash it man????” crowd are pretty thick/tedious, as if a conventional miss is somehow morally superior to a stutter miss.

'Smashing it' is no better than the stuttered run-up.  Two or three strides then place with as much power as accuracy allows is the optimum way to take one.  A long run up increases the chances of a mis-stride and therefore a mis-kick; the stuttered run-up is that on steroids; the 'just fuckin smash it' is liable to go anywhere but the target.

At some point, someone is going to miss or have their spot kick saved.  But you don't need to increase the odds by being daft.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

'Smashing it' is no better than the stuttered run-up.  Two or three strides then place with as much power as accuracy allows is the optimum way to take one.  A long run up increases the chances of a mis-stride and therefore a mis-kick; the stuttered run-up is that on steroids; the 'just fuckin smash it' is liable to go anywhere but the target.

At some point, someone is going to miss or have their spot kick saved.  But you don't need to increase the odds by being daft.

Not sure I agree - power over accuracy works well a lot of the time, because you don't know exactly where it's going to go. As you just have a general area, you become harder to read, and if the keeper does get it right, the power can help ensure he won't get to it in time. All of Pope's saves were from really timid penalties with no power.

4 minutes ago, HawK said:

Not sure I agree - power over accuracy works well a lot of the time, because you don't know exactly where it's going to go. As you just have a general area, you become harder to read, and if the keeper does get it right, the power can help ensure he won't get to it in time. All of Pope's saves were from really timid penalties with no power.

Agreed - it is a question of proportionality.  You want to strike the ball as cleanly as possible - which is why long or stuttered run-ups are a bad idea.  But blasted penalties - really putting the laces through it - isn't any more likely to result in a goal to me.

A weak penalty on target definitely has a better chance of going in than a blasted one off-target :) 

Still love Beppe Signori's technique, me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhPRfmzZyUE

I appreciate all of this but I’m certain the countless hours of actual football Bruno has played and the countless hours of coaching he received prior to the penalty kick didn’t identify that he needed to change his successful penalty history and run up. 

Thankfully we’re through and he’ll smash it in next time he has to step up for one. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

I appreciate all of this but I’m certain the countless hours of actual football Bruno has played and the countless hours of coaching he received prior to the penalty kick didn’t identify that he needed to change his successful penalty history and run up. 

Thankfully we’re through and he’ll smash it in next time he has to step up for one. 

Yep - though he should be thankful that BR isn't the manager, given his reaction to Jenas's fluffed one in a pre-season friendly ... :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQp2c-nPoxk

It infuriates me when I see a player softly side-foot a penalty. I don’t have the stats to back this claim up but it just seems like keepers tend to pick a corner and dive low. 

From that short a distance out, my hypothesis is that you should always hit it as hard as you can while keeping it on target.

Everyone has probably read it already, but David Winner's 'A Beautiful Orange' has a cracking chapter on penalty taking; due to the Dutch being so hopeless at penalties, they committed an academic study on the optimum way to take one.  I think I've lost my copy of the book now, but it was an interesting read.  From memory, it was to take a two- or three-stride run up to the ball - and the run should be straight i.e. parallel with the two posts, not coming from an angle which can give the GK a read on the direction, and aiming for the bottom corners rather than high i.e. drilling it (not a side-foot placement).

Could all be a load of bollocks of course, but it made sense the last time I read it.

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Refuse to believe Shearer missed 11 pels. 

He wasn't actually THAT good at them... He missed more in cups e.g. Partizan. I'd back Shola any day over him.

2 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

There’s a dressing room victory photo on Botman’s Instagram story, can’t find it anywhere else, but Bruno looks DEVASTATED in it, only one not smiling. Lad is clearly emotionally led, hope he’s okay this morning :lol:

Could you repost please?

24 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Everyone has probably read it already, but David Winner's 'A Beautiful Orange' has a cracking chapter on penalty taking; due to the Dutch being so hopeless at penalties, they committed an academic study on the optimum way to take one.  I think I've lost my copy of the book now, but it was an interesting read.  From memory, it was to take a two- or three-stride run up to the ball - and the run should be straight i.e. parallel with the two posts, not coming from an angle which can give the GK a read on the direction, and aiming for the bottom corners rather than high i.e. drilling it (not a side-foot placement).

Could all be a load of bollocks of course, but it made sense the last time I read it.

Randomly thought of him reading this.  But I remember Graham Alexander having a strange looking run up and being really effective.  Used often drill them, but the run up was always straight and often laces, from memory.  

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Randomly thought of him reading this.  But I remember Graham Alexander having a strange looking run up and being really effective.  Used often drill them, but the run up was always straight and often laces, from memory.  

That’s right, he used that technique :) 

That chapter is worth digging out - again, from memory it talks about a well struck pen travelling at c.100km/h or c.60mph meant the goalkeeper had just under half a second to react and move into position.  60mph is well struck but not a thunderbastard by any stretch.  So if it reasonably accurate into the bottom corner the goalie effectively has very little chance of saving it

Edited by TheBrownBottle

35 minutes ago, McCormick said:

It infuriates me when I see a player softly side-foot a penalty. I don’t have the stats to back this claim up but it just seems like keepers tend to pick a corner and dive low. 

From that short a distance out, my hypothesis is that you should always hit it as hard as you can while keeping it on target.

I would have that school of thought for myself.  But then I'm a pretty crap footballer and I played defensive mid :lol: 4/4 using this method in shootouts :smug:

I always thought hard and low towards the corner was best.  Shola used that style, I think?  It's hard for the keeper to even get down in time or reach it if it is towards the post.  But then you see these types go wide.  I think Lewandowski and Bamford have missed doing this.  Plus if it isn't right in the corner, you're giving the keeper a great chance.  As it's not like they dive towards a top corner.  

The power ones I suppose you've got less control over it and if it's not really high or up in the top corner.  Then a keeper just guessing the right way, might basically just flop into the ball by almost sheer luck.  Plus of course just hammering it over comes into play. 

If we get into Europe and actually have cup runs.  I'm not sure I can get used to us in penalty shootouts, mind.  Nerve wracking stuff.  

13 minutes ago, 80 said:

He wasn't actually THAT good at them... He missed more in cups e.g. Partizan. I'd back Shola any day over him.

Could you repost please?

The misses vs Partizan, the Mackems and Blackburn in the cups stick out.

His record when it actually mattered wasn’t particularly great for us, tbh.  His misses tended to come in games that had meaning.

Shola is the best I’ve seen to date in B&W

26 minutes ago, 80 said:

Could you repost please?

I’m actually not sure how, it’s only on his story rather than a post, not sure if it was posted anywhere else 

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I’m actually not sure how, it’s only on his story rather than a post, not sure if it was posted anywhere else 

Just seen someone's clipped it in the match thread :thup: He looks utterly gutted. Genuinely worrying :lol: I'm sure he'll fire back up. But yes, he's an emotional guy!

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The misses vs Partizan, the Mackems and Blackburn in the cups stick out.

His record when it actually mattered wasn’t particularly great for us, tbh.  His misses tended to come in games that had meaning.

Shola is the best I’ve seen to date in B&W

Didn't he miss at home to Wolves when we finished 5th and the boos rung out?