Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, STM said:

There's not really much to debate. It will be Shelvey, Joelinton and Bruno in midfield. They will defend as a team and attack as a team. By the sounds of it, we have become instantly better at both attacking and defending by signing this guy.

Not so sure.

Willock has a place in this team based on the Leeds game and his time here last season. 

He will be an option from the start in certain games. Especially if we’re away from home and/or looking to play on the counter. 

I would imagine Bruno will take Shelvey's place with Joe on the left and Willock/new player on the right but I've never really understood Shelvey's role in the side anyway, so Howe may still see a place for him.

On the right of a 3 Shelvey should have more time on the ball buy we'd still be lacking goals from midfield.

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not so sure.

Willock has a place in this team based on the Leeds game and his time here last season. 

He will be an option from the start in certain games. Especially if we’re away from home and/or looking to play on the counter. 

Willock will fit our formation more as the seasons go on. If he's good enough is another question, but he's still barely past his teens. 

If you think Shelvey is getting dropped, you haven't been paying much attention. He's been the first name on the teamsheet for Howe and arguably one of our best players since Howe came in.

The time to bin Shelvey is coming but that one's for the summer.

It will be Shelvey, Joelinton and Bruno. Joelinton might move back into the number 8/10 role though.

1 minute ago, STM said:

If you think Shelvey is getting dropped, you haven't been paying much attention. He's been the first name on the teamsheet for Howe and arguably one of our best players since Howe came in.

The time to bin Shelvey is coming but that one's for the summer.

It will be Shelvey, Joelinton and Bruno. Joelinton might move back into the number 8/10 role though.

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Howe does play all 3 of them but it would be a canny unconventional trio like.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

I'd prefer Joelinton - Bruno - Willock over Joelinton - Shelvey - Bruno, but like many others I'm almost certain it will be the latter.

Yep, it's the risk factor which Howe won't like. He won't want to drop Shelvey and lose any progress he believes he has made.

At some point Shelvey will get an injury and we will see for ourselves what the future holds.

1 minute ago, Emotic said:

Eddie is surprisingly loyal to his favourites, so it’d take an injury to Shelvey to see him dropped, much like Lascelles.

It's not so much loyalty, its man management. Publicly dropping either of those players could stir a hornets nest. They will find themselves dropped organically. Same with the captains armband. We know Trippier will get it in the summer.

1 minute ago, STM said:

It's not so much loyalty, its man management. Publicly dropping either of those players could stir a hornets nest. They will find themselves dropped organically. Same with the captains armband. We know Trippier will get it in the summer.

On the one hand, I agree that it’s good and sensitive management practice. On the other, if Lascelles and Shelvey exhibit obvious flaws that keep costing us points, I’d expect a manager to be savvy and adaptable enough to make the hard choices to improve the squad and the game. I’d be seething if the Botman and Carlos double deals were realised early on, only to see Lascelles run through treacle come mid March, for example. But fair enough, Eddie seems to have incrementally improved the way we play as a unit. 

Just now, Emotic said:

On the one hand, I agree that it’s good and sensitive management practice. On the other, if Lascelles and Shelvey exhibit obvious flaws that keep costing us points, I’d expect a manager to be savvy and adaptable enough to make the hard choices to improve the squad and the game. I’d be seething if the Botman and Carlos double deals were realised early on, only to see Lascelles run through treacle come mid March, for example. But fair enough, Eddie seems to have incrementally improved the way we play as a unit. 

Yeah, I think there is no easy answer with two senior first team players. Fans think "just drop them" but it's not that easy. It's different with someone like Clark, he's older, making horrific errors and has never been a guaranteed regular.

Ritchie is my biggest worry. He's culpable for so many errors and seems a big dressing influence. Lascelles and Shelvey are serviceable PL players, Ritchie is gone. Hopefully Howe has nudged him into touch.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

People are forgetting that Lewis exists. He was coming into his own before his injury.

Yeah but I genuinely worry that Howe has a blind spot with Ritchie. I think we all agree that Manquillo and Lewis are far superior options.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah but I genuinely worry that Howe has a blind spot with Ritchie. I think we all agree that Manquillo and Lewis are far superior options.

Eh? Ritchie wasn’t even in the squad for the last game iirc.

Unless we sign a really good proper DM, it has to be a 3 of Joelinton, Shelvey, Bruno. I know alot on here dont think Shelvey is that good, but he's been improving under Howe and maybe the way Howe coaches him is having a similar effect to what Rafa had on Longstaff. Recently he's been making more tackles than i've ever seen from him and is playing alot shorter rather than trying 40 yard passes everytime and also at times being dangerous on the end of the box. He'll be fine to the end of the season at least