Dan Burn

Rich

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

and last game against Villa. Especially when Bailey came on.

He was excellent until Bailey came on, especially in the first half like. 

People have this weird obsession with hating on Burn, when he's more often then not fucking solid for us :lol: 

Like I said in the match thread, I don't believe for one minute that any other manager would play him at left back if they came in and inherited the squad tomorrow. It's such an obvious weak link and a huge blind spot for Eddie.

He was decent there last season with protection from Joelinton and Willock, but even then it was obvious we'd have to move on from that at some point, we were playing with two left backs at times against the better teams.

He's been massively exposed during the injury crisis due to that lack of cover and protection from midfield. 

It’s fucking wild that we’re talking about this all the time when we’ve spent £35m on a full back who has everything we need for left back and he’s just sitting on the bench. 

Just now, 54 said:

People have this weird obsession with hating on Burn, when he's more often then not fucking solid for us :lol: 

I'll stand corrected. He did play well until Bailey came on.

I love Burn, he brings us something unique, but he plays too much and should be used sparingly - only when we need to counter something specific towards our opponents.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is the only game I’ve watched this week.

But this happened last season too. But we often had Joelinton or Willock that could hold his hand. With Miley’s lack of experience and athleticism he’s left 1v1 and can’t cope. 

It's going to hold us back having to keep protecting him as well. Our match plan went out of the window last season at Arsenal when we pretty much played Joelinton and Willock around him to protect him against Saka. Midweek we did similar with Tino outside of him and Miggy sat in front of them. Tino isn't the finished article but I think it's time to trust him. He'll make mistakes, he'll get caught out of position, but this can't go on much longer. 

Sick of him seeing sprint back chasing a winger like he's towing a fridge.

He's done a sterling job overall but he's on the verge of becoming a target of fans imho and Howe should save him from that.

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

It’s because there’s an all round better player sitting on the bench who has been more than just solid. 

It's getting similar to Bobby with Warren Barton. He was on the decline during the 00/01 season but he still went into the next season first choice. He eventually dropped him for Hughes but took a spell of mistakes. 

Howe needs to make the same call. 

Just now, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

It is time to quietly usher Dan Burn into the Paul Dummett role that Dummett himself occupied before injuries and decline forced him to abdicate.

Was thinking the same thing earlier.

12 minutes ago, 54 said:

I like you 54 but you have an incredible ability (possible naiveness) of not seeing obvious criticisms of the manager and club across a number of threads.

To be fair to Howe, you probably can't build a good team spirit by just benching players after a bad game. All players have bad games & Burn was solid for us last year and was a big part of the tightest defence in the league. He often got rinsed once in the first 10 mins and then fixed the issue. He's had bad games before and tends to come back strong from them.

That said, when Tino started I thought he should be starting going forward. I still think that. He's the long-term starter here and just the one defender we have with any pace. Right now all our CMs with proper athleticism are injured/suspended. We're just so slow defensively I just feel we need some pace in the mix.

Edited by Checko

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I like you 54 but you have an incredible ability (possible naiveness) of not seeing obvious criticisms of the manager and club across a number of threads.

So? Am I not allowed to? I tend to be a positive person, or atleast try to be, and this team and this manager has given me countless enjoyable moments for a prolonged period to time. They all try there hardest, and work there socks of for the club, so i'm going to give them some slack, when things don't go 100%. Don't see the issue with that? 

I actually really enjoyed todays game, and is everything I want in a football match. If that makes me naïve, then I don't really care.

22 minutes ago, 54 said:

You have got to be joking - nobody isn't appreciating him for being the local lad that has chipped in with the occasional goal and decent performances more often than not

However, this does not mean he is a top 4, never mind top 7 full-back. He just isn't. He was our clear weak link in attack many times last year, he is now our clear weak link in defence this year and crumbles like quick sand against any pacey winger.

Very very limited player that I think his days as a first teamer here, especially if we are to move onto the next level, really should be at an end. Subs bench level player at best. By this point I don't know how many more games he needs subbed off because the other team figured out how easy it is to skin him.

Edited by Amir_9

Burn will take the Dummett role when he gets booted at the end of the season. No reason at all for him to be starting ahead of Tino now unless due to injury.

My frustration is that Tino did nothing to deserve being dropped after his run of games ( most as MoM)

I'm not sure Burns experience, strength or being a local player justifies him starting over a youngster (can only assume that is the reason?)

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

So? Am I not allowed to? I tend to be a positive person, or atleast try to be, and this team and this manager has given me countless enjoyable moments for a prolonged period to time. They all try there hardest, and work there socks of for the club, so i'm going to give them some slack, when things don't go 100%. Don't see the issue with that? 

I actually really enjoyed todays game, and is everything I want in a football match. If that makes me naïve, then I don't really care.

You're allowed to post whatever you want but I think you have to acknowledge that Eddie and the club make mistakes and people call them out for that 

I'm not sure how you could watch that performance and think at the very least Howe should have taken Burn off straight after the penalty decision. And that's being generous