Dan Burn

Rich

As much as he lacks in recovery pace he makes up for with those daddy long legs. It’s insane how far ahead a player can be of him and his sliding tackle can take the ball away still. Timing those challenges when he’s behind the player is remarkable, he’ll know every time that if he gets it wrong it’s likely a red or a pen depending on where he is on the pitch 

Never had a problem with him at CB, quite happy for him to cover Botman till he's back, but if we subject him to LB for more than a couple of games next season we've let him down. 

Botman has some fight to get his place back.

8 hours ago, captainhaircut said:

he had 1 bad game away to Brighton when the whole side was dreadful. 

Always a mystery to me why people make hard conclusions on a player based on their bad performance in a game when all of their teammates were similarly bad.

You're right, Brighton away was always the game quoted as being the one that proved he had to be seen as a left back or nothing.

As much as I hate him giving people space, it's the lesser of two evils. He actually has decent short space recovery speed and reach. Mark close and the opposition players try skill moves and he is buggered. 

Another great performance on the whole imo.

On 26/04/2024 at 00:07, Nine said:

And yet he was a starting LB in the best defence in the league last season. 

He did a job but I think we could improve still from that and it wouldn't have taken much. Very handy CB, though.

Danny Simpson was a starting RB in a title winning team and I don't rate him as a good RB.

I think we can get two more years out of him at CB. He'll be starting at least until February next season by the time Botman fully recovers and gets up to full fitness you'd think. The season after as cover. 

Bit diappointed he wasn't able to stop their goal when he was back near the line. Think we need to sign someone taller.

6 hours ago, 80 said:

Always a mystery to me why people make hard conclusions on a player based on their bad performance in a game when all of their teammates were similarly bad.

You're right, Brighton away was always the game quoted as being the one that proved he had to be seen as a left back or nothing.

Agree with this. 

But I also think Howe drew some conclusions from that game. Lascelles was solid when he came on and was solid throughout.  He took the LCB slot when it was Burns to begin with. That pushed Targett down. Initially based off 1 game. 

Likewise Hall had 2 bad performances and he was relegated to the deep bench. 

5 minutes ago, Checko said:

Bit diappointed he wasn't able to stop their goal when he was back near the line. Think we need to sign someone taller.

Absolute fuckup for that goal mind.

Terrible passing and shows how easily a mistake can sting you.

He’s looking good at CB now and while I get that he can still come in at LB I think our overall play is far better with a LB who can get up the field better. Really glad he’s playing so well tho, proper leader on the pitch.  

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Hopefully the Dan Burn left back experiment is over and we can carry on playing him in his correct position.

Alex Murphy can slot in LB/LCB if needed too.

11 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

That was the best game i've seen him had for us as a CB.

He has been immense since moving to CB and has won us the last two games with his positioning and shot blocking. Should never go to LB where he is exposed for pace but will be a capable sub for Botman. 

The rumours about Kelly are pretty strong too and assuming he comes in he’ll be far better suited to deputise at LB if needed as he can play either position but is also quick. 

As good as he’s been this second half of the season his weakness is when balls are played in behind him. This risk has been reduced since Dubravka came in and we’ve had to drop deeper accordingly. The real test for him will be when Pope is back and we start playing a higher line