Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Still pisses me off that we lost to this team of hopeless cheating thugs. Cunts would have 1 foot in the championship if we'd even just drawn.

Their game plan clearly works though - we couldn’t beat them nor could Leicester, Liverpool struggled for 60 minutes and Chelsea are struggling.

question is - will it be enough to keep them up or will Leeds let them off the hook?

6 minutes ago, hakka said:

Everton have such horrible cunts in their line up. Nasty, kicking, fouling, spoiling etc. - used to be a side I wished well, but would be happy to see them go down.

They remind me of O'Neill's Leicester - Lennon, Savage, Izzet, Walsh, Claridge, Marshall, boring strip and ground, spoiling bores arses

This is not me having a go at Everton tactics. I fully respect any team using any strategy allowed to win. But imagine if Everton were coached by a Spanish or European coach. Will there be a groundswell of support or looking the other way, like what is happening now.

I remember in your first or second season back in the PL, you gave a masterclass of a defensive performance against City. You either won or draw. Solid, clean organized defensive performance - no dives, no cynical challenges, nothing of the sort. After that I remember Neville and his cohorts in the media howling at Rafa about how this was anti-football, unacceptable in the PL, etc. 

Edited by rgk_lfc

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Their game plan clearly works though - we couldn’t beat them nor could Leicester, Liverpool struggled for 60 minutes and Chelsea are struggling.

question is - will it be enough to keep them up or will Leeds let them off the hook?

Fair point. I don't think they were initially playing like this under Lampard. Probably made a quick decision that this was going to be the only way to get out of the mess. Awful spectacle though and relies entirely on opponents getting knocked out of their gameplan and cheating for everything they can get. Weak officiating doesn't help.

This is one of those games where the side in the bottom 3 plays well, and fans and pundits say "if they play like that in the remaining games, they'll be OK."

And then they go on to lose their next game. 

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Fair point. I don't think they were initially playing like this under Lampard. Probably made a quick decision that this was going to be the only way to get out of the mess. Awful spectacle though and relies entirely on opponents getting knocked out of their gameplan and cheating for everything they can get. Weak officiating doesn't help.

Spot on about the refereeing - I blame them more as Everton will try these shithousery tactics but it’s down to the refs to say “no”.

So much diving, winding up players, cynical tackles and stop, start skullduggery. This is anti-football and it does put teams off, stops them getting into any kind of rhythm and focusing on their game plan, but it's plain ugly to watch. You'd much rather see a side scramble for safety in the Burnley has this season. I hope these go down, I really do and I think their away matches are what will ultimately bury them. Having said that Chelsea have hardly covered themselves in glory and are being taken in by their antics.