Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa (13/02/2022)

Yorkie

Probably some unfair ones here, but initial reactions:

Dubravka - 7

Trippier - 8 Krafth - 7

Schar - 8

Burn - 8.5

Manquillo - 8 Dummett - 7.5

Joelinton - 8

Shelvey - 8

Willock - 8.5

ASM - 6

Wood - 6.5

Fraser - 7.5

Edited by Kid Icarus

14 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

First 3 in a row in 4 years and 4 points clear of the drop, finally some breathing space and some confidence going into the most important part of the season.

Bearing  in mind when howe started we were 5 or 6 points cut adrift from safety (Watford I think it was), being on only 5 points after 10 games.

Now unbeaten in 6 and a 3 game winning streak - what a turnaround.

Just now, Ben said:

Brilliant result and hopefully the fact we have 1 game a week till the end of the season should mean we can have more control over injuries

Injuries were always going to come. 

Remember reading/hearing the same thing happened at Man United after they peddled Mourinho as they went from no conditioning and poor fitness to playing catch up and overdoing it so soft muscle niggles started to occur after 10-15 games.

As you say so long as they’re minor and can be managed it’ll hopefully be alright.

A win on the back of Everton was more than I was expecting or even had the gall to ask for really.

Efforts were fantastic, would have crushed more for the players than myself if they hadnt held out.

Injuries are our biggest hurdle now.

Like Gerrard (and Lampard) but like that these results will get right up the taint of many in the media.

Edited by Wolfcastle

16 minutes ago, McDog said:

I have a novel thing called insurance. To be fair, if we had national health like England I'd retire in two years.

Most US insurance has some kind of excess, normally several thousand dollars, think you call it a deductible? 

Even if you don't have that, most do. I've had numerous conversations with Americans where they've attempted to defend their (ridiculously overpriced) insurance with "well I only had to pay $5k!" :lol:

Anyway, good win today! 

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Thought Joelinton, Shelvey, Schaar, Fraser, and Burns were immense.

(mistakenly posted in wrong thread)

Fraser lasted the distance this time.  Can see how he is gaining fitness, sharpness and confidence week on week.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Most US insurance has some kind of excess, normally several thousand dollars, think you call it a deductible? 

Even if you don't have that, most do. I've had numerous conversations with Americans where they've attempted to defend their (ridiculously overpriced) insurance with "well I only had to pay $5k!" :lol:

Anyway, good win today! 

Our system is ridiculously bad....

Anyway, good win today

Really difficult game, especially second half. We just couldn't hold the ball or string many passes together. There was a spell where we gave a foul away every time we got near them which happened multiple times, surprised we didn't smarten up to how the ref was calling them and just be a little less tenacious. Very happy with win, gutted we didn't see Bruno much. Glad we will have Targett back for next match, but really have to pray Manquillo and Trippier are not that bad injuries. Players that can calmly pass or move with the ball from full back makes a huge difference to us and it was noticeable once we were using Krath and Dummett were on, they are extremely limited on the ball.

ASM probably tried to hard this game, but he literally had 2 or 3 players on him instantly and just didn't make those runs count for much.

Wood, wow. Still struggling. The only benefits he has is being tall and winning headers with his back to goal. Desperate for something to come off for him as maybe a goal will get him really firing and focussed to being more of a threat.

Nice to see VAR helping us with a good close call decision made right.

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Probably some unfair ones here, but initial reactions:

Dubravka - 7

Trippier - 8 Krafth - 7

Schar - 8

Burn - 8.5

Manquillo - 8 Dummett - 7.5

Joelinton - 8

Shelvey - 8

Willock - 8.5

ASM - 6

Wood - 6.5

Fraser - 7.5

I thought Dummett was crap, even allowing for the fact ASM just left him to do it on his own. But agree with all the others. 

Dubravka 7 Didn't have a great deal to do.

Trippier 8 God. Hope he's not out too long.

Schar 7 He's enjoying Eddie ball

Burn 9 Would head a brick wall, class debut

Manquillo 7 Looked solid before injury

Willock 8 His fitness is outstanding

Shelvey 6 Good first half work

Joelinton 8 Was class again, bullied them

Fraser 8 Tireless

Wood 6 Lacks conviction but grafted

ASM 6 Poor by his standards.

Dummett 7 Solid

Krafth 7 Solid

Bruno 6 Didn't really have time to do much