Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

Bruce was abysmal plain and simple purely from a results perspective. Dalglish was dire but at least brought in the majority of Bobby's foundation, Souness who everyone knew was a walking disaster was at least brought in for a legitimate reason, despite it ending badly for us. Pardew was brought in as yes man, and did actually achieve something for a season at least despite his obvious limitations and obnoxiousness, MacLaren was a decent bloke but lacked the ability to do what he was trying. Benitez was an anomaly which either indicated a tempory respark of Ashleys interest or Charnleys incompetence at finding someone who wasnt put in his lap. Bruce didn't get results, wound everyone up and was clearly just FMA final insult cos he thought he would be able to beat the fans over the Keegan debacle and failed miserably

8 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Bruce and Pardew come up a lot on Undr the Cosh interviews.

Most say Pardew fancied himself ("chocolate, if he could eat himself he would do") etc but generally there's fairly positive comments although nobody absolutely raving about him being brilliant etc.

Can remember a fair few who don't like Bruce. Themes are that he won't pull players and explain why they're not playing and that he relies on his assistants to do everything, most say Eric Black or Clemence etc are good and Bruce doesn't do much. 

Theres quite a funny story on the Rowan Vine one where Bruce gives Phil Brown at Hull Vine's number and tells him to call him and see if he wants to go on loan there, without discussing the prospect of a loan move with Vine at all first. So Vine, being a bit of a dick and not very happy, gives his mate who's a plumber Bruce's number and tells him to call Bruce and see if he wants any plumbing done on the basis of "give my number out, I'll give yours out". Apparently Bruce was raging that this guy was ringing and texting constantly seeing if he wanted a new downstairs toilet or whatever :lol:

Aye same criticism i've heard about Bruce. Avoids those conversations.

21 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Bruce was abysmal plain and simple purely from a results perspective. Dalglish was dire but at least brought in the majority of Bobby's foundation, Souness who everyone knew was a walking disaster was at least brought in for a legitimate reason, despite it ending badly for us. Pardew was brought in as yes man, and did actually achieve something for a season at least despite his obvious limitations and obnoxiousness, MacLaren was a decent bloke but lacked the ability to do what he was trying. Benitez was an anomaly which either indicated a tempory respark of Ashleys interest or Charnleys incompetence at finding someone who wasnt put in his lap. Bruce didn't get results, wound everyone up and was clearly just FMA final insult cos he thought he would be able to beat the fans over the Keegan debacle and failed miserably

Rafa essentially called the club and offered his services. Maybe not so directly but it was that. No spark from Charnley or Ashley. And they soon held him in the same contempt as they held Hughton and anyone else with ambition and self-respect. I mean.... did Rafa essentially call Staveley or did I make that up?

Edited by The College Dropout

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Rafa essentially called the club and offered his services. Maybe not so directly but it was that. No spark from Charnley or Ashley. And they soon held him in the same contempt as they held Hughton and anyone else with ambition and self-respect. I mean.... did Rafa essentially call Staveley or did I make that up?

Well there's a lot of rumour and conjecture, but mostly appears that Rafa put himself on a plate for us. Why I said that Charnley would have never even thought to approach him. BTW what is Charnley doing nowadays? 

15 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Don't think Pardew managed Schar.

I've heard players talk about Bruce - mixed reviews but mostly positive. Nearly every player I've heard speak about Pardew (mostly Palace players) speaks highly of him. Both of them seem to lean on being personable and Pardew remaining personable even if the player is not in his plans.

Conversely - most ex-players (mostly the scouse lot) don't speak that highly of Rafa and again - I think that's because he's not personable. So might not be worth very much at all.

There must have been something about Pardew that some players liked. Always found it weird Cabaye for example choosing to go to Palace to play under him again after PSG. He was excellent for them as well. 

16 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

There must have been something about Pardew that some players liked. Always found it weird Cabaye for example choosing to go to Palace to play under him again after PSG. He was excellent for them as well. 

Jose Fonte disagrees.

Screenshot_20240321-230950.png

People often forget but the main reason I personally hate Bruce is his whining about getting 'abused' by our fans when most of the time he was being abused was in empty stadiums during the Covid years.

and also, Bruce does like to bring his family into any story of abuse. Not only with us but everywhere he went. Don't get me started on his mistake of a son, Alex. Going on talkshows defending his da against non-existent abuse.

Horrible kebab--fed family.

Edited by nufcjb

On 21/03/2024 at 23:10, Getsgoodfromthegetgo said:

Jose Fonte disagrees.

Screenshot_20240321-230950.png

1 hour ago, Alan Pardew said:

YEEEEEESSSS LADS!

I only really rate two of those, well one really and one's okay....

bit like your seasons here gaffer

21 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I only really rate two of those, well one really and one's okay....

bit like your seasons here gaffer

All worth playing a game of hide the sausage with though surely ! 😁

9 hours ago, toon25 said:

What a pic this is [emoji38]

I can't look at it or comment on it. My lad's on here and I don't want him thinking his dad's a letch. 

Same reason I can't go on the "Lush Lasses" thread or that "MILF" one and have simply no idea who Sydney Sweeney is, on no. 

14 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Ps, for the record, 50+ years supporting Newcastle and Bruce is, without a doubt, the biggest cunt ever to sit in the dug out 

This is the kind of content I love reading early on a Saturday morning! 

‘Score tonight lad and my fully stamped Dixys loyalty card will be waiting for ya’

Edited by Nine

On 20/03/2024 at 15:56, Pilko said:

Bruce and Pardew come up a lot on Undr the Cosh interviews.

Most say Pardew fancied himself ("chocolate, if he could eat himself he would do") etc but generally there's fairly positive comments although nobody absolutely raving about him being brilliant etc.

Can remember a fair few who don't like Bruce. Themes are that he won't pull players and explain why they're not playing and that he relies on his assistants to do everything, most say Eric Black or Clemence etc are good and Bruce doesn't do much. 

Theres quite a funny story on the Rowan Vine one where Bruce gives Phil Brown at Hull Vine's number and tells him to call him and see if he wants to go on loan there, without discussing the prospect of a loan move with Vine at all first. So Vine, being a bit of a dick and not very happy, gives his mate who's a plumber Bruce's number and tells him to call Bruce and see if he wants any plumbing done on the basis of "give my number out, I'll give yours out". Apparently Bruce was raging that this guy was ringing and texting constantly seeing if he wanted a new downstairs toilet or whatever :lol:

Tbf I bet his soil stack is absolutely horrific.

On 20/03/2024 at 16:07, gjohnson said:

I know I’m not towing the party line here and of course results don’t tell us the bigger picture, but Bruce was not a disaster from a results perspective until the start of his final season. I think 13th and 12th was reasonable on paper given the squad he had and I’ve yet to see anyone suggest otherwise. 

His tactics were dreadful (or non-existent) but I think the main cause of hostility was he was a classless and lazy idiot. 

Edited by St. Maximin