Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye. The club should be allowed to function, and the government should be coming up with a solution where he either surrenders the club to the government, who can then sell it on (such a Tory thing), or is allowed to sell it and give the proceeds to charity.

Wonder if they are trying to put the club into administration by force.  There's no cashflow for them as a business, it can't function.

Edited by neesy111

Gotta love how one of the main arguments when we had the takeover was 'how are we any different to Chelsea or Man City? We can't help who owns us!' and now Chelsea are being stripped one of the main reactions from the same people is 'hahaha, look what's happening to their club'

Edited by Kid Icarus

Sky Sports mentioning that some Amensty spokesman has named us as one of the clubs linked with evil regimes and urging the govt to intervene in other clubs as well as Chelsea

. I don't think that's happening like since Saudi Arabia have been approached to ramp up the supply of oil to offset the shortage from Russia.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Sky Sports mentioning that some Amensty spokesman has named us as one of the clubs linked with evil regimes and urging the govt to intervene in other clubs as well as Chelsea

. I don't think that's happening like since Saudi Arabia have been approached to ramp up the supply of oil to offset the shortage from Russia.

It’s certainly not happening though many would love it. 

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Full of it on 5live this morning, better get used to it, we'll always be quoted in these sorted of circumstances, every time we get mentioned its basically we're puppets of the saudi state.

It’s Barclays freezing the bank accounts, not the government, just as a temporary measure whilst they examine if the club can continue to pay the required amounts under the issued licence etc. I’m sure they’ll find it to be ok and Chelsea will continue as they are. 

27 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye. The club should be allowed to function, and the government should be coming up with a solution where he either surrenders the club to the government, who can then sell it on (such a Tory thing), or is allowed to sell it and give the proceeds to charity.

The government are more likely trying to come up with a plan whereby he can sell the club and keep the money himself.

Lots of livelihoods are threatened and the fans are facing an existential threat to their club, I would find big points deduction/relegation funny, i would even find new much poorer owner a bit funny considering it's bloody chelsea, but this is horrible. And as as much as it won't be for *reasons* it could be us one day. 

14 hours ago, Thiago said:

It's amazing to me that only now, two decades after he bought the club, that we're even discussing this. 

And once again, blue ticks and journalists are demanding fans do more. We didn't put the fox in the hen house, we didn't push coverage of his background into the long grass. I don't agree with them chanting his name, but there's a fuck load of church mice that have suddenly decided they want to speak up.

4th December 2004 I was at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea beat us 4-0 and I realised that the Premier League had changed forever; there was absolutely no way that a club like ours as it then stood could compete with the wealth on show. Where were the gatekeepers of the Premier League then? They were having their nice lunches and fawning over Mourinho and Ambramovich and now they want to put the cork back in the bottle. Too late, they should have done it then. The profile of the Premier League draws dollars, yuan, dirham and riyal because their noses were stuffed into the trough and they didn’t care enough about the rest of us. I don’t think that the Premier League should be as it is but as a fan, stood at Stamford Bridge in 2004 there was absolutely fuck all that I could do about it. Journalists could have made a fuss but chose not to

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

How does freezing the bank accounts work, would it be like an ordinary customer or business where they can’t do a thing? How will they pay the electric bill for example?

Get one of those token meters and do a whip round.

Chelsea will not cease being a club, the worst that could happen is that it becomes a new entity similar to Rangers a few years back.

I wouldn't worry about them too much; indeed as l said yesterday I'm quite enjoying it.

The UK does approximately £16 billion in trade with Russia. Think I'll save my thoughts for some of those businesses and employees who will really be affected rather than Chelsea. Many of whom will be outside of London without the prospect of easily finding new employment.

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Chelsea will not cease being a club, the worst that could happen is that it becomes a new entity similar to Rangers a few years back.

I wouldn't worry about them too much; indeed as l said yesterday I'm quite enjoying it.

The UK does approximately £16 billion in trade with Russia. Think I'll save my thoughts for some of those businesses and employees who will really be affected rather than Chelsea. Many of whom will be outside of London without the prospect of easily finding new employment.

But won't spare a thought for the Ukrainian children being shelled and about to be attacked with Biological and Chemical weapons?

9 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

How does freezing the bank accounts work, would it be like an ordinary customer or business where they can’t do a thing? How will they pay the electric bill for example?

I'd imagine money entering and leaving would be gated, reviewed for source of distribution, any links to Sanctioned companies, then funnelled to outstanding invoices, wages, etc. Anyone connected to them will be screwed short term and if they file for Administration, kissing what they're owed good bye. 

11 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

But won't spare a thought for the Ukrainian children being shelled and about to be attacked with Biological and Chemical weapons?

I was replying to the discussions about Chelsea in this Chelsea thread where people have raised the point of people losing their jobs.

There is a thread in Chat for the war in Ukraine which is a more appropriate thread to discuss the points you've raised.

Edited by macphisto

29 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Full of it on 5live this morning, better get used to it, we'll always be quoted in these sorted of circumstances, every time we get mentioned its basically we're puppets of the saudi state.

I'm already used to it, people can try and drag us into it, but SA are never going to be in a military stand off with the UK. I do imagine many of the glory hunter supporters who latched onto Chelsea over the glory years will start to drop off, so that will be interesting. Too bad, but they've done alright for the last couple of decades.

15 hours ago, Thiago said:

It's amazing to me that only now, two decades after he bought the club, that we're even discussing this. 

And once again, blue ticks and journalists are demanding fans do more. We didn't put the fox in the hen house, we didn't push coverage of his background into the long grass. I don't agree with them chanting his name, but there's a fuck load of church mice that have suddenly decided they want to speak up.

I remember feeling weird when he bought them but was assured by the southern media that it was good for football and that the money would filter down. 

Even then there were suspicions and doubts but they were quickly swept under the rug and seldom if ever touched on and even though they were a lot less receptive to Man City and outright hostile to us, the vanguard that caused all this went unmentioned and in fact were the bad guys for being bought and its not even to assuage their guilt.

Edited by Wolfcastle

38 minutes ago, Yassassin said:

4th December 2004 I was at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea beat us 4-0 and I realised that the Premier League had changed forever; there was absolutely no way that a club like ours as it then stood could compete with the wealth on show. Where were the gatekeepers of the Premier League then? They were having their nice lunches and fawning over Mourinho and Ambramovich and now they want to put the cork back in the bottle. Too late, they should have done it then. The profile of the Premier League draws dollars, yuan, dirham and riyal because their noses were stuffed into the trough and they didn’t care enough about the rest of us. I don’t think that the Premier League should be as it is but as a fan, stood at Stamford Bridge in 2004 there was absolutely fuck all that I could do about it. Journalists could have made a fuss but chose not to

They absolutely loved it mate. Sky, the lot of them. It was just a ride, entertainment to them. "Drogbarrrrrr".

It made me feel like it just didn't matter how much support we had or could have, or whether we qualified for the CL again it just didn't matter against wealth like that. Blackburn couldn't last but this skewed everything.

But when we play the game THEY made, that we were the first club to lose out too...different story.