Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle United (13/03/2022)

Mike

5 minutes ago, LRD said:

As long as you have the same poor referees, you can give them state-of-the-art technology and nothing will change.

And you need to change the instructions you give them. Do away with 'clear and obvious' and replace it with 'given the benefit of replay technology, if you disagree with the on-field decision, ask the on-field official to have another look'.

9 minutes ago, LRD said:

As long as you have the same poor referees, you can give them state-of-the-art technology and nothing will change.

You are assuming they made an honest mistake and there wasn't blatant corruption involved.

26 minutes ago, Klaus said:

You are assuming they made an honest mistake and there wasn't blatant corruption involved.

I find it very hard to say there's blatant corruption involved, it sounds really kooky tbh, but it's hard to imagine that it can be sheer incompetence. Every time?

49 minutes ago, TRon said:

I find it very hard to say there's blatant corruption involved, it sounds really kooky tbh, but it's hard to imagine that it can be sheer incompetence. Every time?

The problem is, if both incidents were to favour Chelsea, you know we'd be down a man and losing that match 2-0 or more. The bias on display is palpable.

Really struggling to switch off from the result yesterday.

We pressed aggressively, really limited their chances and also had good chances of our own.

As others have said, I can live with the elbow not being a red card.

On the penalty incident, I actually blame the ref more than VAR. There is one replay where it is clear the ref can't see what's happened as there are at least 3 players in his line of sight. So for me, he has to be saying to the VAR that he didn't get a good enough look at the incident (evidenced by the fact he gave a corner) and either ask for help or just take his own decision to go and look at the monitor.

20 hours ago, The Prophet said:

What was most impressive about today, is that we changed shape and dropped three of our best players of late and still looked really comfortable.

I think it says it all about Eddie: dropped key players for rest and changed formation and still the players were well drilled and executed.

Got to admit this one still stings, we were in control of this game and were undone by a moment of magic by a player that should have arguably been off the field of play. Even if it was a yellow (could go either way) we 1000% should have had a penalty and likely have been ahead and even more determined to hold on. Very hard pill to swallow as the injustice cuts deep in that it definitely changed the course of the game and an impressive unbeaten run. 

I feel I'll still be stinging from this one for a while.

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

The problem is, if both incidents were to favour Chelsea, you know we'd be down a man and losing that match 2-0 or more. The bias on display is palpable.

I'd say it's unconcsious bias, but some of the decisions we see are so palpably wrong you just can't accept it. It's one thing for a ref to claim he was unsighted, but what excuse has the VAR analyst got? How do you watch a tv replay, see a clear tug on the shirt and say nothing doing?

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd say it's unconcsious bias, but some of the decisions we see are so palpably wrong you just can't accept it. It's one thing for a ref to claim he was unsighted, but what excuse has the VAR analyst got? How do you watch a tv replay, see a clear tug on the shirt and say nothing doing?

It's not even as if it was your average shirt pull either, some force in that to pull the neck hole over his shoulder, clear attempt to bring him down rather than rough housing. And that's before you get to the leg across the body that eventually brought him down. It's unfathomable that with access to replay and slow motion that it's not seen as a foul, there's literally no excuse.

3 hours ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Really struggling to switch off from the result yesterday.

We pressed aggressively, really limited their chances and also had good chances of our own.

As others have said, I can live with the elbow not being a red card.

On the penalty incident, I actually blame the ref more than VAR. There is one replay where it is clear the ref can't see what's happened as there are at least 3 players in his line of sight. So for me, he has to be saying to the VAR that he didn't get a good enough look at the incident (evidenced by the fact he gave a corner) and either ask for help or just take his own decision to go and look at the monitor.

Can I ref demand VAR show him an incident he didn’t see and VAR don’t think there’s enough in it to intervene?

9 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Can I ref demand VAR show him an incident he didn’t see and VAR don’t think there’s enough in it to intervene?

Without knowing the rule I would imagine so. He is the referee, he makes all final decisions so nothing stopping him from going to the monitor of his own free will.

21 minutes ago, Klaus said:

His vision was obscured so was probably unable to see whether there was contact or not, ironically the exact reason VAR exists.

If he was obscured, how could he give the corner?

I’d comfortably say if that var decision was against us at Stamford Bridge it would be a penalty all day. I’d like a written explanation from the PL on why it wasn’t a penalty. 

VAR will only ever be applied consistently IMO if the people in the booth making the decisions are unaware which team is which - by that I mean use technology to black out colours, faces, etc :lol:

Tongue in cheek and not happening but otherwise they will always favour the big teams.

It doesn't help that the governing body also seems to want different standards applied to their "star" assets to the rest of the league. I'm sure that adds pressure that leads to things like yesterday happening.

I don’t get this “favouring the big teams” crap. This very weekend alone we’ve seen Liverpool not get a clear decision in their favour through VAR.

Every team feels hard done by. The clear answer in all of that is that all teams are affected by the incompetence.

Just google “*team name* and referee decisions” and I can guarantee you’ll find article after article after article like the ones below, just using three of the “top six” as an example:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-var-referee-decisions-20328660.amp

https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/everything-against-chelsea-tuchel-bemoans-referee-decisions/blteb93e5cb1884a739

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-var-premier-league-decision-22164758.amp