Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle United (13/03/2022)

Mike

Burn and Dubravka both could have done better but it's splitting hairs really.

As for VAR, I think this new 'instant' offside tech they're looking to bring in will be great, that and spotting off the ball incidents are a good use of the technology imo.

In general though the ref either needs to be given full uninterrupted control (essentially removing VAR outside of offsides and off ball issues) or the exact opposite, and have his decisions during big calls being completely overruled when and where necessary. This process we have currently is completely mental.

The elbow could have been red or yellow, this ref was not big enough to give it.

The penalty decision was awful, VAR should have notified the ref for him to look again at it on screen. There does not seem to be any clear criteria for these decisions, it is a farce.

As for the team, i though we did a greta job and it looked like a point for us with no problem. The goal was sublime; the pass and the control of the ball were top class. It did look like Burn slipped a little while turining and lost a quarter of a yard on haverz, unlucky as he was majestic again...

All in all, we played well and should have had more from the game, VAR made sure that we diddn´t get our point.

59 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Rather than mic'ing up the VAR room and dragging out the officiating process any more I'd far rather they just get rid of it.

So would I but that's not even worth discussing. 

The elbow was more red than yellow but not overly mad at that. The thing that makes it red for me was his elbow was higher than his head and he was nowhere near getting the ball.

I know it's a different competition. But Koulibaly got a yellow card in the AFCON final for simply jumping with his elbows - didn't make contact or cause blood for an opponent, elbow wasn't even above his head.

The penalty is a penalty. Simple. Robbed really.

Positive thing is it shouldn't affect us too much this season.

Woke up feeling positive tbh. We played well, very organised and very well drilled. The effort is there, we understood our gameplan. We only lost because of VAR. That is fact. The team is such much better than 4 months ago. 

We were brilliant without the ball yesterday and generally pretty sloppy with it, by our recent standards.  Chelsea were lucky that we were so sloppy, that we were missing key personnel that would have punished them, and also of course that the officials gifted them the game.

So we weren't at our best, we had key players out and still we limited Chelsea to very few chances and would probably have won the game if given the decisions we should have been :thup:

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Burn and Dubravka both could have done better but it's splitting hairs really.

As for VAR, I think this new 'instant' offside tech they're looking to bring in will be great, that and spotting off the ball incidents are a good use of the technology imo.

In general though the ref either needs to be given full uninterrupted control (essentially removing VAR outside of offsides and off ball issues) or the exact opposite, and have his decisions during big calls being completely overruled when and where necessary. This process we have currently is completely mental.

At the risk of repeating myself, someone at the Premier League/UEFA/FIFA needs to publicly acknowledge what we all know: people make mistakes. Until that happens, and is reflected in policy, we won't get any closer to a working system. The 'clear and obvious' clause is a get out. They need to amend that to the VAR official disagreeing with the decision leading to requesting that the ref looks at it again.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Gameplan nearly worked, which is the frustrating thing. But then, normally I woudn't have expected anything at Stamford Bridge, which shows how class Eddie Howe and the team are right now. 

Just now, Mattoon said:

In American football managers get to challenge on field decisions a number of times a game, would something like that work for decisions that maybe go overlooked?

What difference would it make if the VAR ref is already sat there saying it wasn’t a mistake?

As has been repeated, they’re saying a penalty wasn’t given because there wasn’t a foul. Nothing to do with it being clear or obvious, they’re saying Murphy went down too easily.

If he listened to Howe and then changed his mind it’d open up one hell of a can of worms regarding influence.

2 hours ago, samptime29 said:

Woke up feeling positive tbh. We played well, very organised and very well drilled. The effort is there, we understood our gameplan. We only lost because of VAR. That is fact. The team is such much better than 4 months ago. 

We didn't lose because of VAR. We lost because two referees made the wrong decisions.

I was at the game yesterday- my first away in about four years. Class atmosphere I thought, and so much positivity, such that conceding such a late goal was much less of a sickner than usual in a way, just ar shit, onwards.

Also my first experience of safe standing - loved it. So nice leaning on the bar all game.