sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Not to big up the Mags but they generate a lot more gate receipts but then again they had the 90's helping their fan base. In that 2016/17 season they generated £27m to our £8.9m which equated to £27 per fan per game to our £11.

I wonder why that is :bluestar:

12 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Not to big up the Mags but they generate a lot more gate receipts but then again they had the 90's helping their fan base. In that 2016/17 season they generated £27m to our £8.9m which equated to £27 per fan per game to our £11.

I wonder why that is :bluestar:

My experience of this is that they claim that they have far more kids going to their games than we do.

Has nobody mentioned this belter:               Don't think anyone would deny they have a larger fanbase than us. However much of that is simply an accident of Geography. If we were located where they are and vice versa we'd have the larger fanbase.……

21 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Has nobody mentioned this belter:               Don't think anyone would deny they have a larger fanbase than us. However much of that is simply an accident of Geography. If we were located where they are and vice versa we'd have the larger fanbase.……

Kin hell! You could do a philosophy PhD with that beauty! I mean, obvs not the person who said it! 

See, I think it could be something as banal as ease of travel by train or whatever back in the day, a generation or two later and it's ingrained, Mam and Dad from Wingate and Hutton Henry, I was born and have been raised in Peterlee but my Dad was a Newcastle fan thankfully.

As an aside, there's probably 50 or so go home and away from here and have been greeted on some occasions with "Ah, here's the Makem bus".

The "Ashington branch" on the other hand are welcomed with open arms.

Anyway, I fancy Wolves.

To et tu brute btw.

Edited by Doc

You know when they got promoted in 95/96 and football was a lot more popular and everything. Why didn't they have their version of '1992' where we got promoted to 30,000 full houses every game and thousands locked out, instead of averaging 17,000?

Edited by Wolfcastle

50 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Mackems bang on about NUFC’s 90s side more than we do

Add to that the Intertoto bollocks from the mid 2000s. I've literally never heard anyone but the mackems mention it, even after we won the fucking thing.

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

See, I think it could be something as banal as ease of travel by train or whatever back in the day, a generation or two later and it's ingrained, Mam and Dad from Wingate and Hutton Henry, I was born and have been raised in Peterlee but my Dad was a Newcastle fan thankfully.

As an aside, there's probably 50 or so go home and away from here and have been greeted on some occasions with "Ah, here's the Makem bus".

The "Ashington branch" on the other hand are welcomed with open arms.

Anyway, I fancy Wolves.

To et tu brute btw.

Most support choices comes from their parents or family members. I don't think travel comes into it at all, as that is certainly not the reason you go and support a team. You can get public transport to Sunderland via Durham/Darlington. Yes in terms of rail travel it may take longer, but I certainly don't agree (mackem excuse), that you support a team based on travel time. 

Edited by et tu brute

Eh, I agree that choices of support generally come from your parents but travel at the time probably played a part. 
we are talking pre Dr Beechings here though.

As for Mackem excuse, piss off. 🤣

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

If they were located where we are they’d be called Newcastle the fucking simpletons 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

It's hard to disagree with his basic point that if only Sunderland had been Newcastle instead it would have been much better.

And that if Newcastle had in fact been Sunderland, Newcastle would have been much worse. Since the boot would then be squarely on the other foot, I'd concede.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

I see the catchment area has emerged (I knew it would) and that it's easier to travel from 'Darlington/Durham' to Newcastle. Usual last stand bollocks from the deluded fuckers :lol:

Eh?

If I who live in North Shields aren’t allowed to support Newcastle under their rules because it is too far, then how are people from Darlington allowed to support either club?

I’ve said it before, they think someone from North Shields shouldn’t support Newcastle because it’s too far and not in the same council area, yet think someone in Spennymoor should have a season ticket for them.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Eh?

If I who live in North Shields aren’t allowed to support Newcastle under their rules because it is too far, then how are people from Darlington allowed to support either club?

I’ve said it before, they think someone from North Shields shouldn’t support Newcastle because it’s too far and not in the same council area, yet think someone in Spennymoor should have a season ticket for them.

What? 😂

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Eh, I agree that choices of support generally come from your parents but travel at the time probably played a part. 
we are talking pre Dr Beechings here though.

As for Mackem excuse, piss off. 🤣

Travel would have been available in those times also. Bullshit excuse imo

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

They never mention the 20k plus fans that suddenly appeared when the SOS opened, they couldn’t even fill joker park’s reduced capacity before they moved. 

The implication must be that if it wasn't for our influx of fans in the 90s that their support would be better, but only if you include their own 90s influx.

Some gibberish like that.