sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Claiming to be massive because of a TV series is oxymoronic.

I admire how they can ignore it not manifesting or cutting through in any way whatsoever though.

Its like being envious of someone getting exposure on embarassing bodies.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's hardly Wrexham levels. Their interest level, commercial revenue, etc has went through the roof since Welcome To Wrexham. I'd be surprised if the same has actually happened to Sunderland. 

It's got more to do with brands falling overthemselves to be associated with Ryan Reynolds and to a lesser extent Rob Mcelhenney than Wrexham themselves tbf.

If there was just a documentary about Wrexham with Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven as owners it would have nowhere near the same pull.

Edited by Sima

30 minutes ago, Sima said:

It's got more to do with brands falling overthemselves to be associated with Ryan Reynolds and to a lesser extent Rob Mcelhenney than Wrexham themselves tbf.

If there was just a documentary about Wrexham with Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven as owners it would have nowhere near the same pull.

Exactly. Their personalities brought the audience and subsequently the huge sponsors, isn't it TikTok and Expedia? 

Sunderland's part owners have the personality of a fucking spoon. It's a decent underdog story I suppose, a couple of likeable fans but they're massively overplaying the impact they believe it's had for them. Highly unusual for that lot...

33 minutes ago, midds said:

Exactly. Their personalities brought the audience and subsequently the huge sponsors, isn't it TikTok and Expedia? 

Sunderland's part owners have the personality of a fucking spoon. It's a decent underdog story I suppose, a couple of likeable fans but they're massively overplaying the impact they believe it's had for them. Highly unusual for that lot...

Aye.  No way they usually go anywhere near a conference team without the exposure that the owners bring.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Yeah that's what I was meaning. What they've done for Wrexham and the show has put them on the map, progressed then, etc.

Sunderland Til I Die is only a thing because the producers just happen to be Sunderland fans. 2017 is when they started shooting, freshly relegated from the PL, 6-7 years later they're still worse off than when they set out to film the programme.

Sunderland fans seem to be making it out as though this has done the same thing for them.

Paul Mullin for instance has more followers than Jack Clarke.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

If I had 12 fingers and toes and supported S*nderland like them, I don't think I'd want these series about us all the time tbh. Would make me feel like a laughing stock.

I wasn't all that much a fan of the idea of them being around Newcastle tbh, despite enjoying the series. 

I think this series is less about the football, but rather a morbid observation of 'people' who are outsiders to normal society and live in towns in deep decay. Bit like the trailer park trash reality shows in the US.

I don't know why they need to persist with it if that's what they're planning. The last series sort of showed them "bouncing back", getting promoted, and the ending was lovely with them sort of wrapping up the "Sunderland Til I Die" narrative beautifully with the supporter who sadly passed away.

Not sure there's anything special enough about them to keep people hooked any further. 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

TBF that Show on Netflix is great viewing 

When the opening scene is a daft priest that used to drink in your local you know there's comedy coming