sunderland in the EFL

Big River

3 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

They'd have to sell him for about £60m to get that wouldn't they? With the various sell-on clauses? 

If none of it goes towards paying off some of their debt or covering losses they usually incur

3 hours ago, The Bonk said:

They had momentum on their side last year and generally had a good season to get into the playoffs as a promoted club.

Instability and piss poor club leadership has seen their form suffer since we waltzed right through them. To keep sacking managers like they do is detrimental to any sort of progress.

They need to have some continuity and find a manager who can give them an identity and build some culture in the club or they’ll be mid-table championship fodder for years to come.

Thing is this has also been at the behest of their fans. They've put themselves in a chicken and egg scenario by allowing such delusions of grandeur.

2 hours ago, midds said:

They vastly overrate anything connected to their club so it's no surprise they think he's worth 25+. He's a good player but got zero pedigree in the league he's trying to get into and he's not exactly a kid either, how much better will he get? If they manage to get people offering 16ish for him they should snap arms off. 

An out-of-form Tripper tucked him up and totally nullified him on his own ground in their cup final. He never got a kick against a PL RB, that speaks volumes 

Mind Trippier is arguably one of the best RBs around like to be fair.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Doesn't Clarke lack pace? Not sure we have room for more than one in our midfield, we already have Bruno and no one's replacing him in a hurry.

He's obviously not at the standard where we want to be, but my point is he'd be a useful player for a PL struggler in the right system.

I'd rate him at about £15m based on his current age/ability, and he still has the potential to improve. If you took away his goals and assists this season they'd be in the bottom three.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Thing is this has also been at the behest of their fans. They've put themselves in a chicken and egg scenario by allowing such delusions of grandeur.

While I have empathy for the level headed one’s, it really did seem to be a majority calling for the sack on Mowbray and Beale. 

They got what they asked for and are worse for it. [emoji38]

Not sure they are worse off than continuing with Beale like. None of them wanted him in the first place. Naturally they screamed for his head since there were no clear signs of improvement in their play and results. We'd have done it too, as any other set of fans.

They'll pinch some up and coming manager from L1 or L2, ruin his career in the space of 6 months and move onto the next one. Any manager with a slight bit of sense should steer well clear for the foreseeable future. 

Perhaps they should just employ Steve Evans and be done with it, he'd suit them lot perfectly. 

8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

How many seasons outside the top flight now? Lost count what it'll be next year. Must be getting to a decade.

Next season will be the 8th.

And it’ll be the 17th out of 33 seasons of the PL. So the first time for a long time they’ve been out more than they’ve been in.

Looking at the table of who’s been in the most, they’re currently 15th, so I guess they still have an argument for saying it’s ‘where they belong’. 

We’ll have been in 30 and out 3 if anyone wants to keep that stat in their back pocket…

2 hours ago, SteV said:

Looking at the table of who’s been in the most, they’re currently 15th, so I guess they still have an argument for saying it’s ‘where they belong’. 

They've got less points in the top division than Wimbledon in the last 40year. 

A club that's not existed for 20years arguably has more of a shout. Since football didn't begin in 92 as they say.

On 10/03/2024 at 14:46, Jonas said:

A club that's not existed for 20years arguably has more of a shout. Since football didn't begin in 92 as they say.

Wimbledon changed their name to MK Dons, they still exist!

On 10/03/2024 at 14:46, Jonas said:

Can't be arsed to check, but I also imagine they've been 3rd in the "North East Top Dogs" league that they invented in 2000, over half of that time. 

Actually didn't take much effort. Using 84/85 as the starting point since that's literally my lifetime:.

84/85 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

85/86 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

86/87 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

87/88 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

88/89 : Boro, NUFC, SAFC

89/90 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

90/91 : SAFC, Boro, NUFC

91/92 : Boro, SAFC, NUFC

92/93 : Boro, NUFC, SAFC

93/94 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

94/95 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

95/96 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

96/97 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

97/98 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

98/99 : Boro, NUFC, SAFC

99/00 : SAFC, NUFC, Boro

00/01 : SAFC, NUFC, Boro

01/02 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

02/03 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

03/04 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

04/05 : Boro, NUFC, SAFC

05/06 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

06/07 : Boro, NUFC, SAFC

07/08 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

08/09 : SAFC, NUFC, Boro

09/10 : SAFC, NUFC, Boro

10/11 : SAFC, NUFC, Boro

11/12 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

12/13 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

13/14 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

14/15 : NUFC, SAFC, Boro

15/16 : SAFC, NUFC, Boro

16/17 : Boro, SAFC, NUFC

17/18 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

18/19 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

19/20 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

20/21 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

21/22 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

22/23 : NUFC, Boro, SAFC

NUFC : 1st = 25, 2nd = 11, 3rd = 3

Boro : 1st = 7, 2nd = 17, 3rd = 15

SAFC : 1st = 7, 2nd = 11, 3rd = 21

They must long for the heady heights of the odd NETD tag and finishing above Boro like 09 to 17. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Can't be arsed to check, but I also imagine they've been 3rd in the "North East Top Dogs" league that they invented in 2000, over half of that time. 

Actually didn't take much effort. Using 84/85 as the starting point since that's literally my lifetime:.

They must long for the heady heights of the odd NETD tag and finishing above Boro like 09 to 17. 

Did a bit of checking a while back and found in the last 100years (since the 20s) Boro have finished above Sunderland more than Sunderland have finished above Boro.

By every distinction other than crowds they've been the 3rd team in the north-east for half a century. And crowds don't count when it comes to us.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, The Fountain said:

Except all the fans who supported Wimbledon now support AFC Wimbledon.

My pal was a massive Wimbledon fan and had been since the late 70's

He's been an Arsenal season ticket holder since Wimbledon went to Milton Keynes

13 hours ago, The Fountain said:

Except all the fans who supported Wimbledon now support AFC Wimbledon.

And they still play in Wimbledon and pretty sure at Plough Lane in the vicinity of their old ground.