Newcastle United 1-0 Crystal Palace (20/04/2022)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Despite the narrowness of the win, I feel like you basically saw the best of both sides of this team. First half: played with a swagger on the ball without being super dangerous (don't think this team ever will be); second half: dug in extremely solidly, mainly in the back four.

We deserved it regardless of Palace's pressure cos they never actually got that close. Zaha's sighter at the end as near as they got.

Cracking win. 

He should have scored that first chance mind.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Fair play to Palace, at half time I thought we had an excellent chance to get a pretty comprehensive win. If they'd played like that from the start we'd have been in trouble.

Difficult win that we crawled over the line to get, but crawled over the line we did. We didn't control the second half at all, but we also defended really well.

Dubravka - 7

Krafth - 8

Schar - 8

Burn - 8

Targett - 8

Shelvey - 7

Bruno - 7.5

Joelinton - 7

ASM - 7

Wood - 7

Almiron - 8

Joelington puts that header away and I think it would have been a 3 or 4 nil win. We defended pretty well, though Zaha should score with the one he put past the post.

We need to control the ball better when teams come onto us, which we probably will next year with better players coming in. Certainly can't complain with 9 points against 3 decent teams though in the last couple of weeks. That's a tremendous effort 

Guest neesy111

Game of 2 halves, the 1 bit of quality in the final 3rd settled it.

Edited by neesy111

Think we were confident we could see it out letting them have the ball. Mateta was a pain in the arse but didn’t look threatening. Someone like Zaha will always create one or two things a game no matter what so not worried there. Pretty comfortable overall.

You can't knock Woods work rate, I think he brings a lot to the team in terms of pressing, link up play, defending. More than Wilson in that regard but Wilson is light years ahead of him as a goal scorer. Wood just doesn't seem to have composure and rushes his chances.  Where as Wilson is clinical.  

Guest neesy111
Just now, duo said:

You can't knock Woods work rate, I think he brings a lot to the team in terms of pressing, link up play, defending. More than Wilson in that regard but Wilson is light years ahead of him as a goal scorer. Wood just doesn't seem to have composure and rushes his chances.  Where as Wilson is clinical.  

His ball control is awful, can't knock his workrate but if we had another option we would've got taken off pretty early that 2nd half.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I genuinely feel like he never gets skinned, it’s mad 

I remember Jose getting skinned once in the whole time he was here (Sturridge at Bolton) - Targett is already comfortably the best left back we've had since him.

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

His ball control is awful, can't knock his workrate but if we had another option we would've got taken off pretty early that 2nd half.

He may not have scored but in the second half he made a vital header to rob Anderson a free header at goal.  So I think he did his part.

Edited by duo

13 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

This criticism of Wood is harsh IMO, he never stops pressing. He's not got the greatest touch/finish but I can't understand criticism of his work rate, he's all over the pitch leading the press.

I meant as in he has no legs, he moves like a dump truck in treacle, he tries his best but he didn't offer anything in that 2nd half and we needed something for a ball over the top.

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I meant as in he has no legs, he moves like a dump truck in treacle, he tries his best but he didn't offer anything in that 2nd half and we needed something for a ball over the top.

I agree that we need the threat of pace over the top.

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I remember Jose getting skinned once in the whole time he was here (Sturridge at Bolton) - Targett is already comfortably the best left back we've had since him.

Twice. Think the other was Forrest or something (that could be way off)?

But aye I can specifically remember being taken aback by Sturridge and some other player who's escaped me.

Edit: Actually Forrest is where he scored. Surely someone can think of what I mean

Edited by Hanshithispantz