Newcastle United 0-1 Liverpool (30/04/2022)

Disco

1 minute ago, thomas said:

:lol: a loss is never satisfying but this is just one you take on the chin because, jesus, did liverpool even get out of 2nd gear? yeah, yeah, shite ref and all but at no point did I think this had "upset" written on it. at worst the takeaway is it highlights how much more improvement we need all over.

Last 10 minutes it felt like a possibility just based on the score and us getting up the pitch. Bruno could have smashed his shot in.

Guest HTT II

They are probably the best club side I’ve ever seen in the PL, they didn’t break out of neutral never mind first gear, great team and to only lose 1-0 is kind of a result.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Still maintain we can't play Bruno and Shelvey together and it's obvious who would be first choice. Max is just a total liability at the moment as he struggles to even best a player recently. Game was pretty much how I expected and expect City to be exactly the same. Could have been a heavy defeat today with better finishing and we barely laid a glove on them. Roll on the Summer.

Not with Willock in there, big Joe with his physicality works I think but not enough movement up top for them to play balls.

Teams that can defend competently have figured out that if you get to ASM before he can get into full stride, he makes awful choices and will give the ball away repeatedly.

Its been this way for weeks and he’s made absolutely 0 adjustments to his game.

Trying the same thing again and again and expecting a different result is lunacy.

Can’t fault our overall performance much. Didn’t really agree with Joelinton out wide and Willock centrally but Howe made a lot of brave judgement calls for the game. Didn’t get anything out of Maxi, Almiron or Wood when he came on. Can’t wait for a bit more quality up front.

Dubravka absolutely immense today. Been so solid and really no reason to replace him next season.

There is no point in Shelvey when Bruno is playing. We need someone in there who will offer forward movement alongside Willock. Longstaff isn't great but he's a better fit for the team than Shelvey imo.

Good yardstick for the players to show how much further they have to go and how much harder they have to work to get up towards the top of the league. No shame in the performance or result but ultimately just not quite good enough. Would’ve preferred us to be a bit more snide and leave a foot or two in as I don’t think we got the crowd involved, or got them rattled and upset the tempo and flow of the game, enough. 

Already looking in retrospect.. we have pretty much all viewed this game through a 2022 Howe's Newcastle lens and the raised expectation that has brought. 

Imagine how this game would have gone under Bruce. The result would have been a huge win lol 

3 minutes ago, Peppe said:

Where is all this Liverpool and doping talk coming from? Have I missed something? :icon_scratch:

Think there was talk a while ago about around 60% of their team being asthmatic and requiring medicine to deal with it. 

8 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I still can’t get over 36 year old Milner, he couldn’t run that fast, strong and far when he was 20. What’s changed post Pep and Klopp? EPO?

EPO only helps for stamina (stimulates production of red blood cells which improves oxygen transport capacity to the blood). As you say, he seems faster and stronger than he was in his early 20's :lol: If he is on something, my bet would be TRT.

No disgrace. I thought we'd make a better fist of it but it wasn't to be. 

Even with the likes of TAA, Salah and Fabinho rested there was still a huge gulf in class, fitness and organisation. Even in the real late stages of the game they were swarming 2 or 3 players around the likes of Bruno or ASM. 

On reflect the ref got very little wrong, but could appreciate why the fans would be annoyed with his performance without the benefit of being able to watch replays. Only one I'd say was dodgy was Mane on Dubravka. Unsure why it didn't go to VAR (maybe it did?) and why nobody including the commentators didn't make a big deal of it. Even if they had gone down to 10 I'd doubt it'd have made a jot of difference. 

Get next weekend out of the way and a big night under the lights at home to Arsenal and hopefully finish the season on a high. 

This is the best side in Europe after Man City so we have to take the performance in context, even if they did rest a few. Their wage bill is top 5 in Europe and most of their second XI would walk into our team. The top two thump teams like Man U who are themselves miles ahead of us.

Still, I think we could've made better decisions final third. Fortunate not to lose by a few - Liverpool have 5 top class strikers and are usually ruthless. While we created little ourselves in terms of clear cut chances, there were chances to hurt them on the break where we just didn't commit enough numbers to the attack. Credit to their defence, which isn't mentioned enough, but to win against these top teams you either risk a thumping and go for the jugular or you stay in the game and have a late rally. We went for the latter but last 15 mins I felt we never really gambled. 2-0 or 1-0 means nothing to us, whereas we had a historic result to play for. Why not go all out at the end?

I'd drop ASM next week. I love him but we need all hands on deck and I think he would have a bigger say off the bench if it's 1-0 going into the last 20. The type of sub that can scare teams and tired full backs.

We were only ever going to hurt them via a set piece. They're an excellent defensive unit, but we didn't work them hard enough.  More due to a lack of quality than anything else, Joelinton, Almiron, Murphy and Wood just aren't good enough to hurt teams of this calibre. ASM is, but he's hideously out of form.