Newcastle United 0-1 Liverpool (30/04/2022)

Disco

wood was poor, as was maxi.

Dubs' kept the score down but his kicking is fucking woeful.

that goalkick routine we do, when Dubs kicks it up to the left wing with wood et all pinned to the left touchline is shite and needs to stop. its never worked once.

Today went pretty much as expected, it was like an adult holding a swinging child at arms length.

We've come so far in such a short space of time, but our side still has serious limitations, particularly in attack. Shelvey, Willock, Joelinton, Almiron and ASM all have serious limitations. On the ball they struggled in possession and the movement off it was poor. 

Liverpool are different gravy, so while you'll get away with limited threat against midtable opposition, these guys will make you look amateur. 

It was a demonstration in how much we have progressed in containing them, but how far we've got to go before we get remotely close to laying a glove on them.

Didn't spoil my day at all this. Ok we could've offered a hell of a lot more but we still didn't embarrass ourselves at all.

Liverpool have swept aside a lot better sides than nufc and with far more ease. Nice to know EH wasn't happy with the performance though, as has been mentioned the fat fucker would've been overjoyed.

Just enjoying our normal club now and looking forward to hopefully a busy summer.

Matip and Van Dijk are rolls royce mind. I know we never troubled them much but watching them first hand in the first half at the end I sit. Was more impressed than them 2 than any attacker

I sat below the Liverpool fans whom I very rarely like but today I thought they were tremendous.

Sang about their team and none of this library craic etc that the majority of fans come out with .Really impressive following l 

3 hours ago, GWN said:

I sat below the Liverpool fans whom I very rarely like but today I thought they were tremendous.

Sang about their team and none of this library craic etc that the majority of fans come out with .Really impressive following l 

really? I sit not to far away from them and they were super quiet until the last ten mins. 

35 minutes ago, kenlau88210 said:

I think both Bruno and Shelvey were slow to react after Schar went down. Both of them were too chilled or “composed” initially and made no real attempt to intercept their passes

For the goal Shelvey stops and ball watches when the ball goes round him, doesn't even attempt to get back. 

1 minute ago, morpeth mag said:

Shelvey showed just why he needs replacing yesterday

If the long term plan isn’t to move Bruno into Shelvey’s position, then an athletic midfield enforcer should be high on the list of priorities this summer.

3 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

Shelvey showed just why he needs replacing yesterday

True. Look at the difference in reaction between Bruno and him for the goal, where they start in similar positions. 

15 hours ago, joeyt said:

Fella in front of me giving dogs abuse to James Milner every time he touched the ball. So weird

I'm a big fan of Milner. Gutted when he left and knew he'd go on to do well, but didn't think he'd end up playing for 2 of the worlds best teams and still doing it at his age. He's a remarkable professional who has kept himself at the top by looking after himself and making the best of his ability. If he had someone else's attitude, his time at Newcastle would have been his career highlight. Instead he's won the lot.

I'd also have him back here for a season. He's clearly still got it and makes himself a nuisance (won the game for Liverpool with that tackle) and would love him to start his coaching career here as well. That level of professionalism is what we need. Trippier has it and so does Milner.  

In fairness to Shelvey I thought he was the one player who might get us something yesterday in terms of getting past their press by pinging a long pass forward. Schar had a few too iirc. 

Beaten by a better team yesterday, one thing that stood out for me was the lack of pace in our team, hopefully Howe can address this in the summer