Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I dunno what the name for it is but Burn plays like an absolute superhero then seems to make a mistake because it maybe makes him think he's invincible 

Bramble-itis?

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I dunno what the name for it is but Burn plays like an absolute superhero then seems to make a mistake because it maybe makes him think he's invincible 

I think he's an absolute legend, but he has been a bit ropey at times. Schär's not been much better in that regard, like, and is equally rash, but I do think Schär and Botman looks our best bet on current form. Burn's a hell of a backup compared to what we had this time last year, mind.

Ratings and notes.

1st half:

Pope 6 

Trippier 8 Played as a winger at times

Lascelles 6

Botman 7 Looks to have decent pace

Targett 7

S. Longstaff 6 Some good long balls, some poor short ones

Bruno 6

Anderson 6

ASM 7 Looked bright

Wilson 7

Miggy 8

2nd Half

Darlow 6

Krafth 7

Schar 6

Burn 5 At fault for the goal

Bondswell 7 Already better than Dummett

Willock 7 Looked very lively

Shelvey 8 Look great when he was playing

Joelinton 6 Silly boy ?

Ritchie 7 Looked a yard quicker than last season, fair play

Murphy 6 

Wood 5

Shortstaff 6

Not really understanding the criticism of the ref tbh. Bruno could have been sent off in the first half, and Joelinton's clumsy lunge was absolutely dangerous. Commitment is fine, but this was a friendly, if your studs come into play, your timing has to be 100% accurate.

Positives

We look really fit.

There was some good phases of play between defence and midfield again.

We controlled the second half until the red card.

Miggy carried on his glorious pre-sesson form.

Shelvey looked sharp.

Joe shows no sign of dropping off from last season.

Bondswell looks promising.

Negatives

The first half midfield left the defence exposed.

Pope in no man's land for the first.

Trippier looked shakey in defence.

Burn caught out for the third.

Joelinton needs to calm down, that could easily have been his second red of pre-season.

The drop off from ASM and Wilson to Murphy and Wood is frightening.

Just now, Skeletor said:

Bramble-itis?

It's not quite that because Bramble's mistakes were usually catastrophically stupid and more regular than Burn. With Burn it's more like he's done so well, he thinks 'I can do this' because he's been so dominant, then he doesn't and gets punished. 

Slightly alarmed at how isolated and ineffective Wilson was in that first half. Effectively snubbed out and barely got a kick.

Really enjoyed the game though, result isn't that important but it's good to get that level of intensity into friendlies before the season, it'll help. I'd much rather lose that type of game in that type of atmosphere as put 5+ past Walsall and learn zero from it. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Not really understanding the criticism of the ref tbh. Bruno could have been sent off in the first half, and Joelinton's clumsy lunge was absolutely dangerous. Commitment is fine, but this was a friendly, if your studs come into play, your timing has to be 100% accurate.

Poor game management from him. The first yellow he wouldn't leave the referee error and then the second yellow he was late to the tackle. It didn't seem the the ref had stopped them game so almost a reaction based on what Otamendi was telling him. 

Really enjoyed that, despite crying into my Sagres over losing a ‘trophy’. They are by anyone’s standards a good team. Add Joelinton, tbf Shelvey if poss/though Bruno would have been less frantic with his mate alongside, and Willock to the first half line-up (at the expense of Anderson and Longstaff and I’d fancy us to win that. Bondswell played well looked promising too. A bit more threatening and pacy than Targett, though playing against tired legs early on. Wood didn’t do anything to reassure me that were not desperate for a striker. Miggy helped reassure that we’re perhaps not as desperate as we all thought for a goal scoring right winger. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You know, I think he just got done for pace. Good turn and close control and the guy was past him. Happens. 

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Nah, bring them back to SJP for a 2nd leg and have Clattenburg as referee is what I say.

Edited by Stifler

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The Portuguese Smashy & Nicey were excellent.

They were. One of them less informed than the other. Think he was the one who'd been researching a random NUFC fans site and started listing our fav rated players ???

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Chill man, we just played Benfica for goodness sake, and they're further along in their pre season.

Can't believe you're already throwing away everything Burn did second half of last season. Now he's not even good enough to be a sub for us? Wow.

We can't not ever concede a goal you know. Come on.

Opinions, he was at fault for a lot of goals last season, i just don't rate him.

Just now, POOT 2.0 said:

Overconfidence? 

Still, I think Burn is an absolute rock, for the most part. 

He was caught out, but if we look at being down to 10 men the ball might not even arrived to their player as Murphy had tucked in to cover the gap Joelinton had left and Bondswell ended up having to get pulled out to the left to force them to play. It's a friendly, we learn aspects of squad through these experiences and hopefully can tweak the shape as we move on. We seemed to play a 4-2-3-1 when not in possession which was working until the red card.

1 minute ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Overconfidence? 

Still, I think Burn is an absolute rock, for the most part. 

Maybe that yeah. 

Don't get me wrong like, I agree that he's been so solid and he's a hell of a back up to have. If he could cut that out of his game, whatever it is, he'd probably keep his place, he's that good.

2 minutes ago, Howeay said:

Opinions, he was at fault for a lot of goals last season, i just don't rate him.

I don’t recall many glaring errors. The one v Chelsea aside 

21 minutes ago, gdm said:

I don’t recall many glaring errors. The one v Chelsea aside 

Everton the game after, Spurs away when we got walloped, he comes rushing out of position for some reason.

Edited by Howeay

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Chill man, we just played Benfica for goodness sake, and they're further along in their pre season.

Can't believe you're already throwing away everything Burn did second half of last season. Now he's not even good enough to be a sub for us? Wow.

We can't not ever concede a goal you know. Come on.

I like him, but he made a few individual errors last season. I gave him a pass for Chelsea's goal as it was a sublime touch and finish, but he also came charging out of defence leading to the Everton winner. Happened a couple of other times too, but he got away with it.

I'm not taking away the immense amount of positives he brought, such a leadership, solidity and a bit of composure on the ball, but he does have a concentration issue.

The one Vs Chelsea is exactly the point as well. Take that away and it was his best performance of the season for us, he was incredible until he lost Havertz. An easy 10 and we were robbed that day, but it was also an incredible ball, touch, and finish.

A couple of other points:

We went toe to toe with a very decent European club and matched them all over, without playing our strongest 11 at any point.

I love how nasty we are. We have become that horrible side that argues on the touchline and roughs up opponents. Nobody who plays us gets a free ride.

It felt like a European night. Shite refs, diving players, red cards, goals. Looking forward to the real McCoy.

He is better than Lascelles but that isn't saying much, it would be nice to have better back up or competition for Schar but i appreciate we can only do so much in each window.

He did his part to keep us up but he isn't good enough really moving forward.