Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

2 minutes ago, maze said:

So, essentially 0-0... GG.

Please don't play Murphy EVER AGAIN.

Murphy is 4th or 5th choice winger. That's fine for him.

A least his pace is a threat and he buzzes around and can be a nuisance.

And we'll get some goals from the rebounds when his shots hit the post.

Positives:

Solid defensive display, Trippier's creativity, Anderson looked up to the standard, Longstaff's second half - I quite fancy him in that defensive midfielder role, he has the engine for it.

Concerns:

Sloppy in the final 3rd, several players (e.g. Murphy) just clearly lack the quality needed to help us push on, no matter what the coaching is.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

So you watched 10 minutes?  I rest my case.

I disagreed that based on those 10 minutes and said I thought he was the best player on the pitch. What case have you made exactly, other than to say 'running around and getting out of position', which he didn't do at all in those 10 minutes?

Just had to check your join date because the level of your patter is up there with some of the worst post-takeover newcomers.

Guest neesy111
11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Dunno about that, brought through Finnan and Riise, Johnson, Arbeloa, Aurelio and wanted Targett for us, Manquillo's okay.

Meanwhile Babel, Pennant, Zenden, Reira, Kewell, Almiron, Murphy. Often played Gerrard and Kuyt at RW because he could never get it right.

Houllier bought Finnan and riise.

He bought Gamez for us who played like 3 games.  Glen Johnson for 16m wa a ridiculous price for Liverpool.

Edited by neesy111

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Good game all around, we really lack quality in the final third when Wilson and ASM are not there, on the other hand i really enjoyed Anderson and Longstaff in midfield.

I don't think Anderson is that far off adding goals to his game, strong in possession, hard to get off the ball, has the composure of a player 10 years his senior and gets himself into great positions. Really think we should keep hold of him this season and bleed him in late in games and see how he comes on this season.

Edited by Mattoon

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Murphy is 4th or 5th choice winger. That's fine for him.

A least his pace is a threat and he buzzes around and can be a nuisance.

And we'll get some goals from the rebounds when his shots hit the post.

Not sure hitting the posts behind the goal and further up in the stands counts :lol:

You could release a chicken out on the field instead of him, and it would cause more nuisance [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Good game all around, we really lack quality in the final third when Wilson and ASM are not there, on the other hand i really enjoyed Anderson and Longstaff in midfield.

Thing is we'll never really play the front three we used today all at the same time unless we suffer a bunch of injuries, and so we should be fine.

The fact the team functions so well on the whole now that we still managed to cause a threat with that front three, and actually win the game is all credit to Howe. He really is something else.

2 minutes ago, maze said:

Not sure hitting the posts behind the goal and further up in the stands counts :lol:

You could release a chicken out on the field instead of him, and it would cause more nuisance [emoji38]

Murphy is fine for where he is in the pecking order man. Chill out.

2 minutes ago, HawK said:

I disagreed that based on those 10 minutes and said I thought he was the best player on the pitch. What case have you made exactly, other than to say 'running around and getting out of position', which he didn't do at all in those 10 minutes?

Just had to check your join date because the level of your patter is up there with some of the worst post-takeover newcomers.

Not condescending at all.  By the way, I couldn't give a shit at your "join date".

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I don't think Anderson is that far off adding goals to his game, strong in possession, hard to get off the ball, has the composure of a player 10 years his senior and gets himself into great positions. Really think we should keep hold of him this season and bleed him in late in games and see how he comes on this season.

After seeing him in there for the full 90, and also seeing how good Almiron was in there too, we should be fine as far as central midfielders go.

If he can maintain that confidence and level Anderson is worth keeping for the next half season , a goal or two and he could be this seasons Joelinton , really symbolic and and uplifting. Worst case it doesn’t work so a second half loan to help his development.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Thing is we'll never really play the front three we used today all at the same time unless we suffer a bunch of injuries, and so we should be fine.

The fact the team functions so well on the whole now that we still managed to cause a threat with that front three, and actually win the game is all credit to Howe. He really is something else.

Everyone was sick a little in their mouths when they saw that line up, it shouldn't have functioned but was much greater than the sum of its parts, looked dangerous going forward, held onto the ball fairly well, pressed high with tempo and defended excellently, just lacked any teeth in the final third.