Underrated players

The Prophet

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

The biggest one in my lifetime for me - Rui Costa. Absolutely class player who never got anywhere near enough credit imo. 

Loved that Fiorentina team he played in. They'd win games 5-2 and lose 7-3. Think they got relegated but he probably, ya know, missed chunks of the season that year :lol:

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It feels like until recently, Benzema didn't get the credit he deserved. Similarly prime Toni Kroos was excellent. No coincidence they were part of one of the most successful sides of modern times.

Prime Kroos got loads of praise.

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Genuinely mad how we flogged him for £1m and replaced him with Craig Moore who turned up to training pissed at his previous club once. 

Aye Aaron Hughes is a great shout.

Raphinha is slightly under-rated atm. Can go to the top that lad.

Matip has it all. Just injury prone.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Obligatory post from me at this point

I think people have come around to him now, but from 2013 until fairly recently it was Jordan Henderson. 

I always thought he was overrated as a footballer. He always came across as an above average player that is appreciated for his leadership and presence in the dressing room.

31 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

This is pretty much gonna end up being lists of players generally revered by fans of the clubs they played for, but not so much outside those clubs…

Yup, and in that vein - Micky Hazard. Actually think he’s generally underrated  by us as well.

31 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I always thought he was overrated as a footballer. He always came across as an above average player that is appreciated for his leadership and presence in the dressing room.

He's definitely got those leadership attributes, but I think as a player he has a lot more than he's given credit for. The main one for me is his sense of knowing when a break is on down the right hand side or when to play it simple. I remember the first time I noticed he was playing well for Liverpool was when he was not just intercepting opposition passes, but playing the ball first time into Sterling or Sturridge down the right and kept doing it and doing it well. He loves a well-timed drive down the inside right with a clip to the back post as well.