General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

23 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Why are people getting so riled up with our victory photo’s?

Because they don't know it's about the rebirth if our club. It's the feeling we had when Keegan came as a player and on his return to manage us, it's an indication of the hope being justified. The haters won't get it but who cares because we've got our hope back and definite signs of good things coming our way.

11 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Does anyone else remember the time when every other club had a professional twitter account posting a similar, if less developed, offering to today's accounts and ours just pumped out loads of sports direct offers? :lol:  

Imagine how depressed you must have been being that Social Media Manager at the Football Twitter Social Media Manager Con. 

For anyone who has some energy left for more celebrating, I have just uploaded 4 videos from the end of the 1992/93 season

video 1 - presentation of Championship trophies and medals

video 2 - 7-1 win over Leicester

Video 3 - post- match celebrations and interviews

video 4 - open top bus ride and Civic centre celebrations including the singing Bez

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10758621/Newcastle-United-Sir-John-Hall-Saudi-ownership-dreams-North-East-regeneration.html

Sir John Hall was walking through Chinatown in the shadow of St James' Park recently when he experienced a wave of emotions not felt since the days of his Newcastle United ownership.

'I was going to the Landmark restaurant before the match and was right among the crowd - I have never felt so much joy, happiness and hope in many years,' the 89-year-old tells Sportsmail.

'They were all stopping me and wanting to talk about the players, manager and owners. That excitement, it brought back a lot of memories.'

'I was in Hong Kong when I got a call to say, 'The club is going bust'. The words are seared in my memory. That call cost me £860,000! We were a bunch of Geordies who changed the complete structure of a football club and gave it ambition, we just weren't big enough to carry it on into this era.

'The new owners must build on the platform we created. There are many similarities between then and now, although we didn't have as much money as the Saudis.'

'I was running a property business, my family business. It was my job to look to the future and predict change. When Roman Abramovich came in at Chelsea, he was a billionaire. I said, 'I cannot compete. I'm not putting my business at risk, borrowing to buy a player for £20million'. For him, it was loose cash. So, I made the decision to get out.

'Now look at Chelsea… we were always told Abramovich was here for reasons other than football.'

'It's time for the powers-that-be to sit down and say, 'How do we control football?'. When billion-pound TV deals came in, football started to appeal to a different type of investor - people who know money. They're not interested in the sport. It's another means to make another billion.

'Had the European Super League happened, it would have destroyed the game completely for the ordinary fan. Football should be about every club having a dream, not solely about the money you have. When people say, 'Newcastle is the richest club in the world', I shudder. I don't want to be known as that. There is more to life than money - it is how we use it.

'If you're not going to ban (foreign and state-funded ownership), you have to put restrictions on it. Too much money is leaving the game. How can we use that in a better way?

'For me, the Premier League and Government have a responsibility to put a taxation on transfer fees and put money back into sport. Sadly, I cannot see any system stopping it at the moment. It is the greed of the clubs trying to break away from the Premier League that horrifies me. I hear they are still trying to challenge it. Stuff them, I say.'

So, did he ever achieve what he intended for his football club?

'No. I ran out of time. It was my club. I had been fixed on Newcastle since a boy. I used to stand on the roof terrace and shout, 'Sack the board!'.

'By the time I was chairman, I had a greater vision of the North-East and where it needed to go, economically. What I learned, owning a football club, is that you are responsible for people's lives. That will never leave me. The tens of thousands of fans when Alan Shearer signed… incredible.

'So, I always thought, 'How can we use football to regenerate the area?'. I spoke to Sky, and they needed content to fill their channels. I thought, 'I'll get in here early'. I wanted to bring all sports under one roof, a Newcastle sporting club - rugby, basketball, ice-hockey. But I was before my time, it took a lot longer for the money to come in via television.

'But that was my dream, to sportswash the area, to give it a new image, to get away from unemployment and poor housing. I was trying to do something. I hope the new owners can take that on.'

Hall has been a guest of Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi at St James' and has reminded them of the 'responsibility' he talks about.

'I have spoken to them and, while talking is easy, I think they have a genuine desire to take this club to where it should be,' he says.

'The Premier League say the owners are fit and proper, and the British Government is selling arms to the Saudis. So, as supporters, that decision has been made.

'I also believe they have bought the club cheap at £300m. They are talking about Chelsea being worth £3billion - so there is a huge gap between the current and potential value of Newcastle. They will only accelerate that value by winning.'

Will that come in Hall's lifetime, a first English title since 1927, six years before he was born?

'I would like to think so. I am convinced they will bring success. Eddie Howe seems very good and I expect they will back him.

'The one time I stood in Kevin's way was when he wanted Peter Beardsley. I thought he was too old. That proved to me, you have to let a manager sink or swim. He swam with that one!

'But yes, at my age, you start thinking about how long you've got. Even if a title comes after me, I don't mind. We set those roots for the future.'

On 25/04/2022 at 19:39, Toontimes said:

For anyone who has some energy left for more celebrating, I have just uploaded 4 videos from the end of the 1992/93 season

video 1 - presentation of Championship trophies and medals

video 2 - 7-1 win over Leicester

Video 3 - post- match celebrations and interviews

video 4 - open top bus ride and Civic centre celebrations including the singing Bez

Cheers for uploading these.  I’m on the one 2nd from bottom as a 13-year-old.

All 1992/93 matches uploaded now including the Grimsby away. Ten minutes of match highlights, post-match celebrations and some great interviews, particularly with a hyped up Lee Clark.

I will also be loading videos for 1989/90 and 1990/91 plus (if YouTube allows) 1993/94 to the first few months of 1996/97. I have extended highlights (edited fro the full game) of a number of games. 1991/92 and 1988/89 are already up. Easiest way to watch is using the Playlists.

Edited by Toontimes

Didn't know where to post this but here goes.

Does anyone know a pub in London where a Newcastle fan can watch a game in a friendly atmosphere?

I'm coming over on May 8th and would love to see Man City game with some London Mags, and I already bought a ticket for the Arsenal at home game the week after that.

Buzzing. :)

Busy working through upoading the 1993/94 matches onto Youtube and thought I would post this one as it was such a classic game. Newcastle came from behind to beat Sheff Wed 4-2 in a fantastic atmosphere. There are extended highlights (eight minutes worth).

Anybody got the Oxford game highlights from that promotion season?

Was on youtube but was taken down before I illegally downloaded it.

Is kind of a forgotten after and before the lord Mayors show game and I think the season videos has music over it.

Was straight round the shops the day after that Sheffield Wed game to get Mathie 14 on the blue shirt. Great night.

6 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Anybody got the Oxford game highlights from that promotion season?

Was on youtube but was taken down before I illegally downloaded it.

Is kind of a forgotten after and before the lord Mayors show game and I think the season videos has music over it.

Was straight round the shops the day after that Sheffield Wed game to get Mathie 14 on the blue shirt. Great night.

Just looking at how many points we have picked up against the rest of the division:

Man City 0 (still to play them away)

Liverpool 0 (still to play them at home)

Chelsea 0

Arsenal 0 (still to play them at home)

Spurs 0

Man Utd 1

West Ham 1

Wolves 3

Leicester 3

Brighton 4

Brentford 4

Southampton 4

C Palace 4

Villa 3

Leeds 4

Burnley 3 (still to play them away)

Everton 3

Watford 2

Norwich 4

No wins against any of the current top 7, but we've done so well from 8 downwards, especially that upper bottom half where we've picked up 4 points against so many teams, which is good going. We could still do the double over Burnley, which would be the only one, but Watford are the only bottom half team, or from 8 downwards, that we have failed to beat.

From the Athletic…

“I see it as a compliment to the football club,” Mowbray said. “There’s a really important member of staff leaving to go to Newcastle United this week.

Mowbray did not name the staff member joining Newcastle but The Athletic understands he is Liam Mason. Mason is a sports scientist at Rovers whose official title is head of athletic performance.

He did aye 

Mason has been at Ewood Park since 2014. A graduate of the University of South Wales, he has previous experience with the English FA and Cardiff City. His appointment at St. James’ Park is part of Newcastle’s rebuilding of their backroom staff following last year’s takeover.

Principle Role & Responsibilities within Professional Football

Sports Scientists are part of a multi disciplinary team contributing to the athletic development of sportsmen and women and ensuring all are adequately supported to optimize performance in training.

In general, a Sports Scientist will;

Optimise player performance in training and competition.

Have specific responsibility for managing and overseeing the design, planning and delivery of a cohesive and systematic provision of sports science/performance support across all aspects of the football operation at a club.

Will have responsibility for managing and overseeing the design, planning and delivery of a cohesive and systematic strength and conditioning programme for first team players to facilitate high performance and reduce injury risk.

Provide performance support to players and coaches across the Club.

Work in conjunction with colleagues across the Performance Department to ensure that players at all levels of the performance continuum are appropriately supported to optimise their performance in training and competition.