Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

15 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

What happens if he resigns? Gardening leave but no compo?

Think he resigned at Brighton in order to get the job here so we can't fuck around to much.

Well you thought wrong then, we had to pay Brighton significant compensation to secure him

Realistically he's leaving us and joining them which he's fully entitled to do, you can't force someone to stay who wants to leave. We're in the position of strength though, he works for us and they want him so they need to bend over and pay whatever is necessary to get their man, it's simple logic. When we were desperate for Lingard they made it as difficult and expensive as possible which was also fair enough, they had the position of strength then. 

Hope we absolutely fleece them for as much as we can and delay him from starting there for maybe 6 months. It would be naive to think that he would have zero contact with Brailsford for 6 months or whatever, he just won't get caught as he seems a sharp operator 

23 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Well you thought wrong then, we had to pay Brighton significant compensation to secure him

Just had a look and lots of reports saying he resigned. If we did have to pay compensation then it must have been a clause in his contract with Brighton. Hopefully he has the same here.

21 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Just had a look and lots of reports saying he resigned. If we did have to pay compensation then it must have been a clause in his contract with Brighton. Hopefully he has the same here.

It’s widely reported that is the case, so I wouldn’t worry

Quick scan of a Brighton forum and they seem to think he’s brilliant at the set up phase and then he moves on because that’s the part he enjoys.

A few think he’s over rated but guess that’s normal after he left them (we’ll be the same).

’A rolling stone gathers no moss’.

1 hour ago, Beth said:

Regardless if he goes now or in the summer, is there anything to stop him tipping off Man U to players he's been scouting for us? Nothing that could be proven surely?

He’s not a scout. He could tip them off about the players our scouts have been watching though, if that’s what you mean.

2 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I feel like I’ve heard this a fair bit, and although I’ve not really been paying attention it didn’t make sense. Have the Hall and Livramento signings been a failure? I presumed they were brought in as young players to develop as part of the squad going forward, and I really rate Livramento.

In truth - I think both have been under utilised by Howe for various reasons. It seems he’s not a massive fan of either. 

At the beginning of summer we had a squad that lacked both quality and depth.  We needed to add both when we have limited FFP headroom for a squad to compete this season. We then committed 40% of our spend on 2 players that barely play. Thats damn near Kudus and Van De Ven money. 

Livramento has been largely excellent. There’s just frustration that he’s not used enough.   

Hall has struggled a bit and this always looked a weird transfer. But I didn’t expect him to end up being 4th choice LB. For the money supposedly committed you would think we could sign a player to start ahead of Burn.  

Im confident Livramento comes good and there’s plenty of time for Hall to come good. But I think there was misalignment in the window. Leadership is in a tough spot. I don’t want us to only sign Howe style players.  But we can’t afford for him to just not play certain signings. To me it looks like Howe never wanted those boys for this season. 

I think similar happens at spurs. Management buys players. Conte didn’t care for like Bissouma 

I’d agree that it’s a lot of money tied up for players that don’t see the pitch much. Given the issues elsewhere in our squad it looks a little like mismanagement of funds. Still, the players we wanted may not have been available so perhaps we bought only what we could whether we needed them now or not.

I’m not sure yet about a Howe style player is. I need a bigger sample size. I also refuse to believe any of the journalists when were linked with whoever. I doubt they have any clue and it’s 99% agent talk. In that though, I am also speculating :cheesy:

Edited by Lotus

I thought Hall looked really good for Chelsea when they played us. I think there is a player in there, just not yet.

He's also much younger than the others, and joined us for minimal upfront outlay, which is all we had thanks to FFP. If anything he is a scapegoat for what FFP is limiting us to.

7 hours ago, Scotty66 said:

It was both - he resigned February 2022, served some gardening leave but not the full amount as we eventually reached an agreement.  

If that hadn't happened, he would've started November 2022 instead of May.

Edited by Pandamninator

I wonder if this could have a good baring on Joelintons new contract.

Ultimately, Ashworth leaving could have a softening effect in our negotiations.

It would be nice to think someone could step in and make it priority number one.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

for a man who’s strength/job is apparently long term planning this is a good point 

Long term planning for someone else to do the job. :lol:

Anyway, he’s gone so fuck him. Our thoughts should be very much on what comes next 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Long term planning for someone else to do the job. :lol:

Anyway, he’s gone so fuck him. Our thoughts should be very much on what comes next 

:thup: It may be that he puts the plans in place for others to follow. As another tweet thread someone posted says, maybe it's that he likes the establishment of it all more than the actual seeing it through.

Like me on Football Manager. Bloody love building my squad that first summer but the season starts and my assistant gets delegated every damn thing. 

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

:thup: It may be that he puts the plans in place for others to follow. As another tweet thread someone posted says, maybe it's that he likes the establishment of it all more than the actual seeing it through.

Like me on Football Manager. Bloody love building my squad that first summer but the season starts and my assistant gets delegated every damn thing. 

Haha I’m exactly the same on Football Manager, that first summer hits different. 

Rest of the season? Don’t give a fuck

16 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

for a man who’s strength/job is apparently long term planning this is a good point 

Would be a good question for a journalist to ask him. "Dan, would you hire Dan Ashworth given his history of leaving projects early?"