Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

11 hours ago, duo said:

I will be intrigued to see how Man U get on with Ashworth there because I feel people (me included) have given him way too much credit for the transfers at Brighton. I am not saying he's not good at creating a structure that creates good decision making but people have him as to the reason Brighton have been so successful in the transfer market.  He was not there long enough, I would also question what influence he has had at Newcastle. 

The odd thing is he’s always been at pains to point out his job is not player identification, it’s to sit in the centre of everything and ensure there’s a coherent structure and strategy across the club. 

He obviously has some influence in that space, but the fact he didn’t arrive here only for us to immediately start hoovering up £4m wunderkids from under Brighton’s nose is probably a good indication that he’s a pretty peripheral figure when it comes to transfers. Nickson leaving will be a bigger deal in that area.

1 minute ago, TheKnowledge said:

It's just entertaining to see how furious your club is because we've come and offered Dan a job. The exact same method you did when you took him from Brighton. A proper meltdown:Jonny2J:

I don't think many are furious , I couldn't care less if he leaves but the funny bit about it is Man United fans kicking off because we won't just let him walk out the door without significant compensation , just sums up how arrogant and entitled Man United as a club and as a fanbase are.

2 minutes ago, TheKnowledge said:

It's just entertaining to see how furious your club is because we've come and offered Dan a job. The exact same method when you took him from Brighton. A proper meltdown:Jonny2J:

Brighton did the exact same thing were doing.

If we had bought a player from Brighton who then increased in value, should we bend the knee and give you a bargain? Nope

1 minute ago, TheKnowledge said:

It's just entertaining to see how furious your club is because we've come and offered Dan a job. The exact same method you did when you took him from Brighton. A proper meltdown:Jonny2J:

:tino:

10 minutes ago, TheKnowledge said:

It's just entertaining to see how furious your club is because we've come and offered Dan a job. The exact same method when you took him from Brighton. A proper meltdown:Jonny2J:

You can have him mate, just pay the wedge. 

6 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I don't think many are furious , I couldn't care less if he leaves but the funny bit about it is Man United fans kicking off because we won't just let him walk out the door without significant compensation , just sums up how arrogant and entitled Man United as a club and as a fanbase are.

Aye only one set of fans having a meltdown over this. The cockney and Irish twats never change. 

16 minutes ago, NG32 said:

You can have him mate, just pay the wedge. 

No need. We'll wait for his gardening leave to finish. He'll still work for us, off the books of course. Just means his work at the club will be paid for by you lot :celb:

Edited by TheKnowledge

8 minutes ago, TheKnowledge said:

No need. We'll wait for his gardening leave to finish. He'll still work for us, off the books of course. Just means his work at the club will be paid for by you lot :celb:

It's £1.5m a season so £3m in total. Chicken feed and well worth it if it makes his job harder for you lot. :indi:

20 hours ago, TRon said:

Considering his penchant for job-hopping, I'd say it was a wise move to restrict his role. Hopefully that means he won't have had access to all of our intel, although in reality he probably has.

The Times was reporting today that we are looking for £15m compensation, not the £20m reported yesterday. Hard to tell if that is accurate, as the national rags are probably negotiating on Man U's behalf.

I was told he didn't have the same level of freedom as he did at Brighton which is why he is unhappy, long before the Man U interest

1 hour ago, TheKnowledge said:

Welcome to the Theatre of Dreams, Dan. Where we make the impossible come to life.

I know spending so much money without coming close to winning the league for over 10 years does seem impossible, but to be fair you've made it look easy.

1 minute ago, Menace said:

Apparently he's on £3.5M a year, so the figures of £15m+ make sense if hes on a multi year contract.

Ashworth ? 1.5mill a year is the most quoted.

Everything Newcastle is doing is standard practice, it’s no meltdown. If Man U don’t want to pay the compensation required then they can wait or look elsewhere. The ball is in their court. 

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Ashworth ? 1.5mill a year is the most quoted.

Aye you're absolutely right I misread

i understands Ashworth is paid around £1.5m a year by Newcastle, which makes him the top earning director of football in the Premier League. Paying that salary while he sits out the rest of his contract on gardening leave would be an expensive way to make a point but the message is clear: they won’t be bounced into wrapping up a deal unless it is on their terms.

I just wish I'd have been in the room when Ashworth was forced to deliver the news to His Excellency. No doubt Al-Rumayyan ate his asshole alive, with a tongue lit by the fire of a thousand Saudi oil rigs!

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Furious….. [emoji38] 

you’re going on about back room staff man you walloper.

xG has had me teetering on the edge, but if we’re going to start treating the hiring and firing administrative staff like actual footballers I’m going to go full #AMF. 

“He’s best in the league at Excel formulas”

Fuck off. Take me back to crumbling terraces, football specials and racism.

30 minutes ago, TheKnowledge said:

Hope so, that sounds like a transfer embargo and points deduction for yourselves, and huge damages for NUFC just waiting to happen, as well as Ashworth losing all credibility in the industry. 

No way a business like Manchester United or individual like Ashworth would risk this though obviously, if you live in the real world. 

This "he'll work for Man Utd during gardening leave" stuff is so bs btw :lol: Even if he did take the odd call here and there, it's not like he'd be able to perform his work anything close to the standard that is required, but taking that aside, I doubt Ashworth is the type of person who would risk his reputation, career and legal trouble to do a half arsed job for no pay.

56 minutes ago, TheKnowledge said:

Man Utd paying anything from 5 to 10 times more than what they could have had him for 2 years ago is the most Man Utd thing ever.