Nick Pope

Rich

I'd rather have popey in the sticks rather than an onana type. 

Pope majority of the time is a corking keeper with his only downside been his distribution. 

12 minutes ago, andycap said:

I'd rather have popey in the sticks rather than an onana type. 

Pope majority of the time is a corking keeper with his only downside been his distribution. 

Pope is class. Hugely underrated keeper. 

I'm at the point now where I'm just telling him to launch it down the line or down the middle if he's under any pressure. I get the fact we're trying to play it out and build nice attacks from the back as it's a bit fashionable but he's not up to that technically. He's a great keeper and I'm not having a go but he's really poor with the ball so let's limit that as much as possible and just deal with the second ball, eh? Seems like the more we trust him in our own third the more likely we are to concede. He can still do the sweeper/keeper thing but it's got to go long when it trickles through to him. Play the percentages

56 minutes ago, midds said:

I'm at the point now where I'm just telling him to launch it down the line or down the middle if he's under any pressure. I get the fact we're trying to play it out and build nice attacks from the back as it's a bit fashionable but he's not up to that technically. He's a great keeper and I'm not having a go but he's really poor with the ball so let's limit that as much as possible and just deal with the second ball, eh? Seems like the more we trust him in our own third the more likely we are to concede. He can still do the sweeper/keeper thing but it's got to go long when it trickles through to him. Play the percentages

Logic like this is seemingly looked down upon by coaches these days in favour of playing “progressive” football, or something like that. 

2 hours ago, midds said:

Little different when trips Schar and Botman are with him no?

Said in the match thread. It felt noticeable that we were going back to him more often than usual. Hopefully more because Bournemouth forced us to. Rather than by design. No Schar and Trippier in the back 4 will do that, I guess. 

Anyway. Despite him possibly being the worst keeper with his feet in all of the leagues. He is a top drawer ‘goalkeeper’. His save with his leg today looked routine. But it really wasn’t. 

Something just seems off first few games. We knew his kicking was always poor but he's not even taking the crosses that last season we were calling Dubravka out for "not claiming like Pope would" at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Something just seems off first few games. We knew his kicking was always poor but he's not even taking the crosses that last season we were calling Dubravka out for "not claiming like Pope would" at the moment. 

Give him time - just needs more minutes.