Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

I’ve unturned a little on his signing after remembering how bleak it was when Dubravka got injured last season. We can’t rely on Darlow or worse at this level anymore. 

I don’t think he’s an upgrade on Dubravka but healthy competition for £10m is good business. 

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

I’ve unturned a little on his signing after remembering how bleak it was when Dubravka got injured last season. We can’t rely on Darlow or worse at this level anymore. 

I don’t think he’s an upgrade on Dubravka but healthy competition for £10m is good business. 

Last season Pope saved 73.6% of the shots he faced placing him 5th best in the league last season. 

Dubravka saved 67.9% of the shots he faced placing him in 14th.

As a shot stoppers there's no question Pope is a (probably significant) upgrade on Dubravka. Also, it's not like Dubravka is some wizard when it comes to playing it out the back.

Obviously you can dig even deeper on those stats and look at the quality of shots faced, but I don't think you'd see a significant difference considering Pope played for a horrific Burnley side last season.

11 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Maybe controversial, but I wouldn't bet against Dubravka being sold and Darlow remaining as number 2.

I see Dubravka going out on loan late in the window. I don’t think he’s going to be happy with being number 2.

Decent signing I think. A slight upgrade on Dubs at a good price. No matter who is first choice it will give us much better depth and competition in the goal. 

It just looks primarky.. point is hes wearing cheap clothes. A far cry from Maxi rocking up for a medical in a Gucci headband.

Edited by Nine

Just now, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Feel like once this is announced, Darlow will go (probably to Burra?)

Already done our one in one out with Woodman going Preston but I'd expect to see Darlow go by end of July yeah.

Pope, Dubs, Gillespie is more than fine for our 3GK

Edited by JP

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Nine said:

I still think it’s likely that Dubs will be the one to leave 

He’s what 34 now and I know the club want to lower the age of the entire squad, but I think we here the ‘keepers are involved, they would likely see that as the last area to lower that age otherwise we’d have went for a younger ‘keeper than Pope. The only way Dubravka leaves is if we get decent money or he forces a move. We’ll get rid of Darlow probably for 3-5m.