More possession orientated this season?

BrianSwan

i don't think we will be often dominating posession, I think we need more technically gifted midfielders to do that, Bruno is great but Joelinton isn't, maybe sean longstaff can step up but not exactly iniesta is he. Shelvey isn't the quickest and his instant decision making can be suspect.

Sign a really technically gifted mid to go along with bruno and joe we can maybe dominate possession.

Do we need to? Absolutely not, I am not sure that's Howe's style it's more counter press than posession style. That is fine by me, but, when we have depth of squad to have it as an option, and certainly drill teh squad as is to get better at it, I think it is a weakness of us when a team is getting away from us we sometimes fail to take the sting out of games by just passing it around. 

possession is overrated. remember those bloody Reading and Swansea teams who just kept possession for the sake of it, without actually ever doing anything.

as with everything in life, there's a balance to be had. but in general I much prefer high-paced, ruthless, counter attacking football.

25 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I cannot remember seeing many newly promoted sides comfortably contain the entire league (other than Liverpool, City and Spurs) over half a season like. Obviously we don't want to be starting with Shelvey or Longstaff in an ideal world but Howe has us extremely well drilled. Usually lesser teams do it with a low block and absolute aids football.

It's not even like we were spawny either, or relied on purple patches from attacking players. Our attack was absolute garbage it's impossible it could be any worse next season.

If this was a reply to my post let me explain. When I was comparing to some promoted sides doing well over a season I didn’t mean that they were beating most teams apart from the top teams over half a season. My comparison was about sustainability. When something major happens and things get really positive for whatever reasons then it can go really well for a while when riding on that happy wave. As just after a promotion, new manager, new owners and similar things tend to give that extra 20% in every way and even better once you get a bit of momentum. However, most times that isn’t sustainable, especially if you lack that extra quality. People talk about us having top 4 form for the second half of the season, so now by the sounds of it some seem to perhaps aim a little bit too high because of this. It’s good that there’s ambition and belief but sometimes without perspective it can easily blind you too. With us it was EVERYTHING that changed for the better. Owners, manager, belief within every area, fans going mental. Simply put a massive positive wave that we could ride. I’m sure we still can have a positive ride and momentum, but I’m not sure we will have quite the same as the second half of last season. Therefore I think we need to strengthen more than some seem to think. Sorry for the long post and me going off limit. It was just gonna be an explanation to your post about promoted sides and that if it was intended as a reply to mine :) 

48 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

How do you set up those possession tables on TransferMarkt, Kaka?

I actually searched for the info in goggle and it took me straight to the page, but it's a bit of a mess figuring out how to do it directly on there.

The info can be found on Whoscored though, and it's much easier to navigate. Below is the link to last season's possession stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8618/Stages/19793/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022

17 minutes ago, Ikon said:

If this was a reply to my post let me explain. When I was comparing to some promoted sides doing well over a season I didn’t mean that they were beating most teams apart from the top teams over half a season. My comparison was about sustainability. When something major happens and things get really positive for whatever reasons then it can go really well for a while when riding on that happy wave. As just after a promotion, new manager, new owners and similar things tend to give that extra 20% in every way and even better once you get a bit of momentum. However, most times that isn’t sustainable, especially if you lack that extra quality. People talk about us having top 4 form for the second half of the season, so now by the sounds of it some seem to perhaps aim a little bit too high because of this. It’s good that there’s ambition and belief but sometimes without perspective it can easily blind you too. With us it was EVERYTHING that changed for the better. Owners, manager, belief within every area, fans going mental. Simply put a massive positive wave that we could ride. I’m sure we still can have a positive ride and momentum, but I’m not sure we will have quite the same as the second half of last season. Therefore I think we need to strengthen more than some seem to think. Sorry for the long post and me going off limit. It was just gonna be an explanation to your post about promoted sides and that if it was intended as a reply to mine :) 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think our run will be replicated. It was a freak patch in some sense. But we did it without ever really looking our best (except Everton 3-1, and Arsenal 2-0).

Usually when teams are punching there's a clear purple patch from an attacker (who will then fade off, or leave) or something like that. Our form seemed to be purely down to Howe getting his tactics spot on.

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

Shelvey has never been a regular in a top 7-8 side. Mostly been on a level much below. Yet so many people seem happy to have him in and around the 1st team. Because when considering how thin our midfield area is when it comes to quality then he will be playing many games this season. Too many unfortunately. We ain’t getting anywhere with players like him and Longstaff or Willock playing far too many games for us this season. Don’t be foolish saying that a few of these played during our good run. It’s not sustainable. How many times haven’t we seen teams come up from the Championship and ride on a positive wave and do extremely well in their first season only to then break apart more or less the next season. Take away Bruno and we don’t even have a midtable midfield. 

He was also part of a Swansea side that dominated possession in most of their games. A good few years ago admittedly, but just because it’s not been what he has been asked to do here, doesn’t mean he isn’t capable.

For what it’s worth I expect we'll see a more refined version of last seasons tactics, hopefully with Wilson and any new attacking additions making us more clinical. Therefore meaning we take better advantage of our short periods of good play.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I actually searched for the info in goggle and it took me straight to the page, but it's a bit of a mess figuring out how to do it directly on there.

The info can be found on Whoscored though, and it's much easier to navigate. Below is the link to last season's possession stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8618/Stages/19793/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022

I was wanting to check out Athletico Madrid like, 50% possession last season. 52% the season before when they won the league. 

Obviously Howe famously had a romantic weekend over there with Simeone and would have taken a lot away from it.

I really want us to keep the ball more if we can. I don’t like watching my team seeking to just contain the opposition, I want us to keep the ball away from them and use it better ourselves. 

I doubt we’ll be going to a City-style tiki-taka, but I would like us to do more. Which I think we will with better players. 

Watching Botman and Schar passing it out from the back this afternoon was sexy as owt. 

5 hours ago, KingArthur said:

Possession with ASM in the team? Not really a player for possession football.

It's not obvious but another weak point is Wilson, who averages about nine passes a game. This is basically because he plays on the shoulder and doesn't drop deep to link play like a forward with #10 skills, an easy example being Harry Kane. Kane probably does it too much for England, who don't get Sancho, Sterling, Foden etc ahead of Kane as often as Spurs do with Son. 

14 minutes ago, Stottie said:

It's not obvious but another weak point is Wilson, who averages about nine passes a game. This is basically because he plays on the shoulder and doesn't drop deep to link play like a forward with #10 skills, an easy example being Harry Kane. Kane probably does it too much for England, who don't get Sancho, Sterling, Foden etc ahead of Kane as often as Spurs do with Son. 

Could that be because of the way we've played in his time here as in "you stay up there while we defend, when we get it we'll lump it up to you or Alain in the hope you magic something up"

The stats are important but they don't tell the whole story.

Almost all of Wilson's recent stats are from playing Bruceball, so they don't tell us very much. Due to injuries unfortunately timed under Howe and Steve fucking Bruce, we do not know a lot about several of our existing players. Some are clearly have a higher ceiling than what Bruce got out of them.

I think we are capable of having 50% possession but I don’t think we will ever really top 55%+ until we have better players in midfield/attack. 

however, in our final home game against Arsenal we had 51% possession so it can be done - also interesting to note that in that game we had 67% in the first half, and although we dominated we scored 0, whereas in the 2nd half we had 35% possession and scored 2 goals, so possession doesn’t always equal goals. 

I think this coming season more teams will sit back against us so we may find ourselves with the ball more, but it will be harder to make it count. 

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

I think this coming season more teams will sit back against us so we may find ourselves with the ball more, but it will be harder to make it count. 

This is the key. Being able to unlock those teams. Thought we did well in that respect, with the three goals on friday.

Don't think we'll average over 50% possession, but think we'll see above 50% in around half of the games. The games against the "top 6", Liverpool and Man City especially, will skewer the average possession stats to see us well below 50% on average IMO. 

On 15/07/2022 at 17:06, BrianSwan said:

Do you think Howe with the pressure of instant results off the table, and more, quality players, will go back to his Bournemouth style?

Bruno, Botman, Schar and Burn are all very good at recycling possession, add in another CM and maybe Newcastle can average about 50% of the ball.

Willock mentioned it's been a point of emphasis from Howe.

And speaking in the aftermath of Newcastle's 3-0 friendly win over 1860 Munich, Willock revealed Howe is demanding his side to become more dominant on the ball, in an effort to control games from the off.

"Next season, we want to be more dominant with the ball and we were practising that building up to the game," Willock told NUFCTV. "I feel like we tried to express that in certain ways but it's a long journey and we're all buying into what the gaffer wants to do. Hopefully, we can show even more on Monday and out in Portugal. We're all buying into what the manager wants to do.

"You saw that at backend of last season and we want to go to the next level now. I feel like there's more expectation of us so we're all trying to buy into what the manager wants to do and hopefully we can get better and better game by game and take it into the season against Nottingham Forest."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HTT II
Just now, Rafalove said:

Shame about the r 1970’s World Cup camera angle but this is great play.

Great play, which will serve us well against many a team next season you’d hope, but they were pretty lax in going in hard pressing wise, which is something they did all game, I thought the Atlanta game was a much tougher test which we passed with flying colours.

Just read a new interview with Howe. When we get a corner, throw in etc the ball boy due to a rule change can now immediately give a different ball to the set piece taker rather than trying to retrieve the old ball. 

sounds like we are prepping for and trying to take advantage of this

I have always been a big fan of Dubravka (and still am tbh but) when I saw Nick Pope's distribution I finally understood how all in Howe is on passing football. I feel like we are finally getting back to where we were under Keegan and SBR. I might just die a happy man.

Edited by TRon