James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Just now, Joey47 said:

I don't think he's a square peg in round hole at all. He's in a very similar mould to Paqueta. Both players are number 10's but both are very flexible and able to play wide right and as number 8's as well.

I personally think Maddison would complete Eddie Howe's ideal midfield 3. Bruno holding, Joelinton box to box destroyer, and Maddison number 8 with more of a free role popping up in space in attacking areas. Similar to how Willock was playing vs Bilbao but at a much higher level. 

Maddison will offer a lot of flexibility also. As others have said he could play right wing but as more of an inside forward linking up with Trippier (who will provide the width) the same way Almiron did against Benfica.

If Howe ever wants to play a formation with a 10 Maddison would obviously be ideal. Also, as @KaKa believes Howe may want to play his historical 4-4-2 Maddison would fit in perfectly as the shadow striker who drops deep to link play, behind Wilson.

Yeah, I think he'd fit in quite easily.

From what I've seen in pre-season I do think Howe will stick with the 4-3-3 rather than change to the 4-42 he used at Bournemouth.

However, Maddison would slot into one of the number 8 slots quite easily, especially because Howe really has them both push up when we have the ball, and take up attacking midfield positions.

58 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

one thing about JM. Is his ideal position is 10. He can play in a number of other roles but comprimises would need to be made where he's perfect as 10.

SO you almost have to build the team around him or you decide to be defensively exposed a bit on the wings or in midfield.

A lot of other clubs are deciding against that. To our advantage I guess.

JM's numbers are almost identical to Mason Mount, including the defensive contribution ones. I don't think you'd say Chelsea or England are built around Mason Mount or especially vulnerable due to him. They just play with DMs, which is fairly standard these days.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

one thing about JM. Is his ideal position is 10. He can play in a number of other roles but comprimises would need to be made where he's perfect as 10.

SO you almost have to build the team around him or you decide to be defensively exposed a bit on the wings or in midfield.

A lot of other clubs are deciding against that. To our advantage I guess.

No reason why he can’t perform a less intense but higher quality version of Willock’s current role. I get the impression that Howe would prefer to prioritize slicker pass and move possession play over a ball-carrier (we already have ASM, Almiron and Joelinton to do that in our current set-up).

Edited by McCormick

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don't get this post at all. We don't have to say these kinds of things just because we're after one of their players.

Leicester typically do a great job with recruitment, I think they'll be fine and will be right there in and around the European slots.

Going to assume it's a pisstake like :lol:

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

No reason why he can’t perform a less intense but higher quality version of Willock’s current role. I get the impression that Howe would prefer to prioritize slicker pass and move possession-play over a ball-carrier (we already have ASM, Almiron and Joelinton to do that in our current set-up).

This is where I could see us keeping Almiron and Fraser staying as first choices for RW. They'd be the graft to Maddison's ability. Unless we do go back for Harrison who can do that and create/score also.

54 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's similar to the Trippier situation in that I can't fully work out why he'd choose us at the moment. Leicester are a good few years ahead of us in terms of infrastructure and we're not really a step up at the moment in terms of what we know.

My only guesses are that the acceleration of our ambition is actually much faster than we've been told, and/or Maddison thinks he has a better chance of getting in the England team because of the Southgate/Ashworth connection.

Also - more money. Probably the deciding factor. Mid to high 100's I assume.

There's no short-term footballing reason to join us from Leicester.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's odd that Hope is reporting that the bid is much lower than anyone else is.

Folks on twitter asking why his valuation is £40 million, Edwards says £45 million and Sky £50 million. It shows they no fuck all.

I think Howe wants him to play nominally on the right - moving inside but with Trippier offering the width and the 3rd midfielder drifting wide. A bit like how Almiron has been playing. It might be why we've been linked largely to left footed wingers too.

Overall though I think it's clear the most important thing is they want quality players first and foremost and are willing to be adaptable to accommodate them.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm not too sure.. We are clearly a club in the up with an exciting project plan, Leicester seem to have peaked! 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I dunno, with him in the side, I'd fancy us to finish above them.  We only finished 3 points behind them and we basically didnt turn up for the first 14 games.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not sure I agree with that. They had a mediocre season by their standards and haven’t improved the squad. We have quite obvious momentum and upward trajectory and look a good bet to be at least a consistently decent team and push for European football on the regular in the not distant future. No idea if this stuff factors in but I’d certainly rather be hero worshipped at SJP instead of fanned by inflatable clappers at the walkers bowl