James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye so in the short-term we aren't an improvement. Our aspirations are similar or less big in the upcoming season. That was my point many people disagreed with. There are no footballing reasons to join Newcastle United from Leicester in the short-term e.g. 22/23. Most NUFC fans would consider finishing 8th a relative success. Leicester would consider that a regression.

This means nowt though as Leicester are regressing. Maybe they can turn it around, maybe they can't? Just as much of a chance that we continue as we are or falter.

It would hardly be some huge suprise if we finish above Leiceter like. Despite their obviously superior squad.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

40 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Said it countless times but you can only play ‘hard ball’ when the ball is in your court, trying to buy quality like Maddison it will never be in your court.

Would be ridiculous if we don’t sign him for the sake of £10m.

Um ... the ball is in our court, as the club will have other options.

Leicester appear to need to move players and Maddison's contract is running down. 

Either they do a deal in the range we're willing to, or they don't and both parties move on.

It certainly won't be the end of the world for us. Leicester will then just have to figure out who else they want to move on, and will then have to agree on a new contract with Maddison before next summer rolls around. They're the ones in the tougher position that's for sure.

The fact they're even putting a value on him suggests they're prepared to do business, but why? He's one of most consistent, creative performers in the league. I doubt he'll get more money here and as others have said, Leicester are arguably better than we are. He does come across as a twat but not the trouble making kind, and most footballers come across the same. Obviously we're on the up but it'll still be a few years before we're challenging for top honours, by which time he'll be knocking on. Seems like a really strange move all round if it happens, but happy days for us if it does. 

I don't think any neutral fan would think "Leicester have had their eyes out there mind" if we eventually ended up paying about £50m(ish) for Maddison. I think that's a perfectly reasonable deal to make and some would argue that's still a little on the cheap side given how good he is, we're certainly not being ripped off here. It's a big fee for a very good player, these are the fees that will eventually need to be paid out if they're serious about moving into a position to have a crack at the top 6. 

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Um ... the ball is in our court, as the club will have other options.

Leicester appear to need to move players and Maddison's contract is running down. 

Either they do a deal in the range we're willing to, or they don't and both parties move on.

It certainly won't be the end of the world for us. Leicester will then just have to figure out who else they want to move on, and will then have to agree on a new contract with Maddison before next summer rolls around. They're the ones in the tougher position that's for sure.

I’d be very surprised if we are able to sign a player of Maddison’s PL ability and potential in this window for the same value that Leicester want for him.

Leicester don’t have to sell him, they can offer him a new contract - there are no reports anywhere suggesting he isn’t willing to extend his deal with them.

Leicester fan on an FPL forum I use, I asked him about outgoings:

'Saw reports that we’ve set a 7th Aug deadline on the big ones (Maddison to Newcastle or Spurs, Barnes to Newcastle, Fofana to Chelsea, Tielemans to Arsenal or Man U), to reduce the risk of panicking on late deal, time for replacements to gel, etc. Not sure if Kasper falls into that too, we’re clearly on the trail of replacements as we’re also now rumoured to be scouting Sanchez at Brighton, as well as Napoli, Benfica and Nantes keepers.

Others that will be allowed to go include Vestergaard (Fulham and Brentford interested), Soyuncu (Inter Milan interest), Soumare (this might actually be an old report as he’s actually played most of preseason in the ‘stronger’ lineups, and we turned down a £15m bid from Monaco though that might be because we paid nearer to £25m just last summer), Iheanacho, Praet (Torino return?), Perez, Mendy and Bertrand.'

When asked if Maddison leaving would be a disaster:

'Without a doubt. That’s why we’ve put £60m on him, and offered him a new contract to take him to joint top earner. But we’re struggling for money and meeting FFP. Plus there are plans to expand the stadium.

By all accounts, Maddison is happy and hasn’t requested to leave, but we understand the frustration at being overlooked for England squads and in a World Cup season too…

Dewsbury-Hall is a future lynchpin, very very gifted, but it’s too early for him to be given the responsibility. He’s developing well sitting next to Tielemans and behind Maddison. To lose both of those around him would decimate the midfield creativity, as the closest things to replacements we have for them are Soumare, who can’t cope with the pace of EPL, and Praet, who clearly isn’t thought well enough of.

So Maddison going would be a disaster for us, especially as I don’t have the faith we’d use the money wisely this late. Fofana leaving would also be huge for us. We’ve always been a selling club, but I fear our luck in unearthing the next ones is starting to turn, much like Southampton in the 2010s - they had some talented squads but have slowly declined.'

56 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They've recent history of doing so with this squad.

We have recent history of finishing 3 points behind them after giving them best part of a season  head start.

1 minute ago, midds said:

I don't think any neutral fan would think "Leicester have had their eyes out there mind" if we eventually ended up paying about £50m(ish) for Maddison. I think that's a perfectly reasonable deal to make and some would argue that's still a little on the cheap side given how good he is, we're certainly not being ripped off here. It's a big fee for a very good player, these are the fees that will eventually need to be paid out if they're serious about moving into a position to have a crack at the top 6. 

100% 

£50m is a massive fee. If Leicester want silly money (which some teams have paid them in the past) then that's on them, but it doesn't mean we need to follow.

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I’d be very surprised if we are able to sign a player of Maddison’s PL ability and potential in this window for the same value that Leicester want for him.

Leicester don’t have to sell him, they can offer him a new contract - there are no reports anywhere suggesting he isn’t willing to extend his deal with them.

Regarding your first point, yes, you may be surprised, but I doubt our recruitment team will look at it the same way. I can't see them throwing £60 million at Maddison, when so far they've been able to sign the likes of Bruno and Botman for nowhere near that kind of fee. I imagine they'll be quite confident of getting a top midfielder on the continent with that £40 million if Leicester are not open to negotiating at around that price, and they'll be confident the player will adapt just like Bruno did.

The clock is ticking for Leicester going into next summer, because at that stage his value will be halved. He may not be shutting down talks of a new contract, but at the end of the day they haven't agreed one with him yet, and so the pressure is on.

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What happened with Harrison and Diaby?

Diaby seemingly our number 1 target. Not interested and too expensive.

Harrison - bid below Leeds valuation. We have seemingly moved on to other targets. Including bidding more than Leeeds valuation of Harrison but for another player.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Regarding your first point, yes, you may be surprised, but I doubt our recruitment team will look at it the same way. can't see them throwing £60 million at Maddison, when so far they've been able to sign the likes of Bruno and Botman for nowhere near that kind of fee. I imagine they'll be quite confident of getting a top midfielder on the continent with that £40 million if Leicester are not open to negotiating at around that price, and they'll be confident the player will adapt just like Bruno did.

The clock is ticking for Leicester going into next summer, because at that stage his value will be halved. He may not be shutting down talks of a new contract, but at the end of the day they haven't agreed one with him yet, and so the pressure is on.

It's a lot easier to get that sort of player, plus those sorts of fees are lower risk if they don't pay off. I think they'd be prepared to pay £50-60m for someone who's 99% sure will be a hit for the figures he'll provide us with.

I understand the thinking behind the thinking of "we need to pay what they value player x at" but is that valuation based on how they value the player or the value based on selling him to us ? Like wanting more for your house because you are selling to a multimillionaire as opposed to some punter who's just like yourself.

Now, there's nowt wrong in trying that but you could lose out, you could gain but it does muddy the waters when talking about the value of something.

32 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

This means nowt though as Leicester are regressing. Maybe they can turn it around, maybe they can't? Just as much of a chance that we continue as we are or falter.

It would hardly be some huge suprise if we finish above Leiceter like. Despite their obviously superior squad.

Wouldn't that be a huge surprise? To finish above a team with an obviously superior squad?

We are going around in circles now. I stated there's no short-term footballing benefit to joining NUFC from Leicester which you disagreed with. And after some back and forth - you've said so in your own words that their squad is better. Clearly, he's not joining to play for a better team in 22/23.

Wait...the Leicester regen is actually rated by their own fans?  :dowie: He's looked like Jack Colback 2.0 every time I've seen him play. Turns 24 in a month, yet too early to give him responsibility? :lol: Must be their Shola.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Wouldn't that be a huge surprise? To finish above a team with an obviously superior squad?

We are going around in circles now. I stated there's no short-term footballing benefit to joining NUFC from Leicester which you disagreed with. And after some back and forth - you've said so in your own words that their squad is better. Clearly, he's not joining to play for a better team in 22/23.

How much better would you say given where we both finished and seemingly recent improvements/regressions ?

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I understand the thinking behind the thinking of "we need to pay what they value player x at" but is that valuation based on how they value the player or the value based on selling him to us ? Like wanting more for your house because you are selling to a multimillionaire as opposed to some punter who's just like yourself.

Now, there's nowt wrong in trying that but you could lose out, you could gain but it does muddy the waters when talking about the value of something.

The most comparable players are Raphinha and Richarlison. Same age, length on contract, PL experience, PL output in recent seasons etc. £50m-£60m. That's the going rate. If we got him for £45m we've got ourselves a great deal.