James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Let’s let it play out before we get too excited about not paying what they want, we are clearly in for him and have made a serious offer. You can’t win them all but it seems we are after quality so hopefully whoever we end up with is the bollocks.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

Well every national and local ournalist around have stated the asking price is 60m.

If you're going to respond with "how do they know what Leicester want for him" then a football forum isn't for you.

This thread, indeed most threads are created based on information provided by those very people reporting the asking price of £60m.

Those same reporta have is bidding between 35 and 50mill plus.

We haven't met their valuation, we don't know what that is, we also don't know if that valuation is being hiked up because they think they can get more from us than others which could see us walk away.

11 minutes ago, CheMandelaGhandi said:

You do this all the time. Just yesterday you were talking about how confident you were that the club would be targeting two players that literally nobody had ever linked us with, based on nothing but your own imagination and hopes. Let’s not throw stones now chaps.

No I don't, because I wasn't crying about them signing those players or complaining that we hadn't bid for them. Stop making stuff up.

I simply said if we were looking at that central midfield position then I'm sure we'd have alternatives, such as the two I mentioned because they are very good players. I also stated that IMO, I would personally go for them first, but would be comfortable with the clubs call on it.

I don't complain about signings or demand how we should bid or what we should pay for players. I find all of that very strange.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

Well every national and local ournalist around have stated the asking price is 60m.

If you're going to respond with "how do they know what Leicester want for him" then a football forum isn't for you.

This thread, indeed most threads are created based on information provided by those very people reporting the asking price of £60m.

You're an excellent poster.

6 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Leicester, clearly.

Diaby and Isaak were valued at similar too.

I don't understand why we're targeting a calibre of player we either can't afford or haven't understood the value placed on them.

Another A* star post.

I get the logic of paying close to that for JM because he's PL proven.

15 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Hold up, when Maddison was first linked you were championing Brandt and Aouar instead (which is fine by the way, but calling others out for also voicing an opinion is a bit pot, kettle, black).

Again ... no :lol:

I didn't come on here berating the club for not bidding for those two, or whingeing about them going for Maddison instead.

I simply said they were two quality alternatives, and that personally I'd go for them for the much lower prices, but would be comfortable with the call the club made as they seem to be prioritising Prem experience.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Again ... no :lol:

I didn't come on here berating the club for not bidding for those two, or whingeing about them going for Maddison instead.

I simply said they were two quality alternatives, and that personally I'd go for them for the much lower prices, but would be comfortable with the call the club made as they seem to be prioritising Prem experience.

Don’t think anyone is berating the club. 

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We've not signed any attacking players (of quality) with this regime. 

Based on various transfer reports. We continue to be interested in players who we won't meet the selling clubs valuation. That is the #1 reason we've not signed any players that can fill the 2 most priority positions in the squad so far... and reports are that is likely the case with JM. So people are annoyed and frustrated.

I don't rate our wide players (bar ASM) at all. I'd happily take Harrison, Cornet etc. but from what we hear in the media. We don't want to meet valuations or pay release clauses upfront for those 2 either.

Seemingly the club is after a A & B class talent but don't want to pay market rate.

How about we at least give them till the end of the window? Think they've at least earned that right? Why do they have to operate to your timeline?

We at least know they've targeted and gone for some really good players in those areas. They will settle on the ones that work best for what they are trying to achieve eventually. At that point we can all then discuss the merits of the signings.

9 minutes ago, gdm said:

Just my opinion but I think it’s a fair assessment of the market that £50m for James Maddison with 2 years on his contract is in no way is getting mugged off. 

Did anyone say 50mill and we'd be getting mugged off ?

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Don’t think anyone is berating the club. 

There've been a number of posts on here criticizing their approach and claiming it's not good enough and they just need to pay the money.

Just now, KaKa said:

There've been a number of posts on here criticizing their approach and claiming it's not good enough and they just need to pay the money.

I think it’s more that there is no point bidding 20 million under the asking price tbh. I get there is negotiating but Leicester won’t even give that the time of day.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I think it’s more that there is no point bidding 20 million under the asking price tbh. I get there is negotiating but Leicester won’t even give that the time of day.

They'll be bidding £20m under the asking price (if it's true) because they're getting encouragement to do so. I think we'll meet in the middle somewhere, probably in the next 3 days.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Genuine question, do you reckon Ashworth and Co. would do anything with "no point" behind it?

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

They'll be bidding £20m under the asking price (if it's true) because they're getting encouragement to do so. I think we'll meet in the middle somewhere, probably in the next 3 days.

Where would the encouragement be from though ? Certainly not Leicester. I think it will take around 50 million plus add ons, I’m not sure we will go that high.

I think a lot of times those firm bids are made to see exactly how strong the selling club actually is on their valuations.

It's all good and well for them to say they value the player higher, but sometimes you put the money on the table with your concrete offer to see if they actually turn it down.

And things then continue from there, or both parties move on.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Where would the encouragement be from though ? Certainly not Leicester. I think it will take around 50 million plus add ons, I’m not sure we will go that high.

The encouragement could be coming from agents, it could be coming from the player, it could be coming from someone at Leicester who knows they need to sell quickly. Who knows? As things stand, it's still not 100% clear whether this bid has actually been rejected.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

Where do you think? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s that thing again where if you even dare suggest bidding £35m for £60m+ James Maddison is odd, YOU HATE THE CLUB AND THE OWNERS AND LOVE ASHLEY.

Hey man, it's a forum right, feel free to say what you please, but if it's hysterical, some other posters might point it out and find it all a bit much :lol:

Just now, Rich said:

Genuine question, do you reckon Ashworth and Co. would do anything with "no point" behind it?

I wouldn’t have thought so, but as I said earlier I’m just basing it off media reports as that’s all we have to go from. Bidding 20 million under the asking price seems pretty pointless when we are told Leicester want 60.