James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Strange we wanted him for ages and just decided that now.

I’ve never been sold on him fully, can see we need someone to unlock the door, just not sure he’s the man.

What you gain with Maddison, you lose massively in legs, intensity and movement.

The Hungarian lad has intensity and creativity, might be a slight risk as with all foreign imports, but he’s far more suited to Howe’s style of football.

If we just leave our team to be a bunch of pressing grafters we will get found out. It’s no surprise we opened up a bit second half of the season (and conceded more) as we became more ambitious and risky. We will need a Maddison type to unlock tricky defenses who will sit back and force Bruno to do it all or Trippier to cross it in.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Maddison is my personal number 1 target 

He'd be a great signing. We lack creativity in the middle, lack another set piece expert. He'd tick a lot of boxes.

We're gagging for more players who can play in the pockets and get their foot on the ball. Maddison or Szoboszlai seem the most likely at this point.

There will be plenty of teams who deploy the low block at SJP next season.

2 hours ago, KDT said:

Would you be happy for ASM to have those goal outputs putting the level of defensive work in that he does? 

Yep. Someone who can dribble past their man is priceless in football and he along with Isak to lesser extent are the only two players we have who can. So would rather preserve with ASM as he won’t cost us £40m+ and 3 times the wages ASM is on and ultimately forcing us to up the rest of the squads wage structure. He could be given a pay rise and still be comfortably in our current structure. I think 23/24 could be his defining season with us. Just need his full back to learn to hold their position and allow ASM the extra space rather than crowding his lanes.

So basically I’d be aiming to play ASM on the right more for 35mins a game and manage his fitness better. His defensive work no worse than Maddison’s in my eye’s especially the way he was applying himself.

If we didn’t have Trippier the thought of Maddison would be more appealing in some ways but all the corners and FKs you see him taking and building his stats you’d probably still have Trippier taking for us.

Think we could spend £40m+£125kpw more smartly. Especially when Maddison is starting to pick up knee injuries and he’s no younger than ASM. Not saying he’s not got ability but he reminds me of a modern day David Bentley.

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yep. Someone who can dribble past their man is priceless in football and he along with Isak to lesser extent are the only two players we have who can. So would rather preserve with ASM as he won’t cost us £40m+ and 3 times the wages ASM is on and ultimately forcing us to up the rest of the squads wage structure. He could be given a pay rise and still be comfortably in our current structure. I think 23/24 could be his defining season with us. Just need his full back to learn to hold their position and allow ASM the extra space rather than crowding his lanes.

So basically I’d be aiming to play ASM on the right more for 35mins a game and manage his fitness better. His defensive work no worse than Maddison’s in my eye’s especially the way he was applying himself.

If we didn’t have Trippier the thought of Maddison would be more appealing in some ways but all the corners and FKs you see him taking and building his stats you’d probably still have Trippier taking for us.

Think we could spend £40m+£125kpw more smartly. Especially when Maddison is starting to pick up knee injuries and he’s no younger than ASM. Not saying he’s not got ability but he reminds me of a modern day David Bentley.

My point was that you’re not going to get ASM to have those level of goal outputs because he never has and hasn’t really shown that he’s capable. So basically Maddison is a massive upgrade on ASM, given that you feel they have the same defensive work ethic.

If we can get Maddison for terms the club are happy with, and the player wants to come to NUFC I’d be very happy.  

Over this weekend NUFC players have scored for England and Brazil - I don’t recall that ever happening before.  It takes a certain standard of player to improve our team now.

Never any guarantee of success with any transfer but we need top players to improve and add depth to our team.  Maddison has been one of the top players in the league in recent years, has started for England past couple of games and feels as sure a thing as any.

You just know he is the sort of player Keegan/Robson would have signed too.

6 minutes ago, KDT said:

My point was that you’re not going to get ASM to have those level of goal outputs because he never has and hasn’t really shown that he’s capable. So basically Maddison is a massive upgrade on ASM, given that you feel they have the same defensive work ethic.

I know that’s where you were leading the argument but mine is with my eyes and not just stats. Stats don’t show you how teams panic when ASM is brought on or double up etc creating more space for others. So when judging him you don’t look at his stats as such but probably an improvement in others. Let’s be honest until last season only one of them was playing in a decent team with structure. He’s doing all this for a fraction of the wage and without any transfer fee required. Just hopefully has a more injury free season to get a bit of rhythm back. If I was a defender I know which I’d rather face. As a spectator I also know which one I’d rather watch.

Anyway let’s see what happens. Proof always in the pudding. I appreciate I’m in the minority on this debate 👍🏻