James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

We’ll come up with someone left field that hasn’t been reported so far, like Tonali and Livermento… It’s what we do.

Emile Smith-Rowe

18 minutes ago, Viewfromtheafternoon said:

Man U after Mount, arsenal paying 65 for Havertz.  Same position as Madisson. 

We are shopping at a higher level than a player who had question marks about their attitude in a relegated Leicester team. We have just taken one of Milans best players who has won Serie A and been the most creative player in the champions league. Tonali/Bruno signings are a level above Madisson and I have faith we will get another midfielder in this window who will be better than Madisson. 

Mount is similar to Maddison, yes, but I’d say that Havertz doesn’t fill the same position. If Man Utd have decided on Mount when Maddison is available then they clearly want other qualities that Mount possesses over Maddison. That simply doesn’t mean that Maddison isn’t an elite player. I’m not particularly keen on signing him as I’m not sure about the fee/wages as well as his work rate comparatively to how we play, and where he’d fit into the team, but his stats clearly suggest that he’s one of the top midfielders in the PL. 

Tonali THE most creative player in the CL, or just Milan’s? KDB had the most assists last year and Leao had the most assists for Milan? 

There were reports that we were looking at 2 midfielders and a right forward this window so it could be Tonali and Franca are the 2 midfielders and there is still a first sided forward still being looked at.

I simply think we have enough players for midfield now. One or two prospects as covers would be enough. Just think we have Bruno, Tonali, Joelinton, Longstaff and Willock and every game we would have two of them sitting on the bench. It doesn’t make much sense to add Maddison to the mix and put one more people on the bench. A young prospect like Anderson would be a better fit.

32 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Mount is similar to Maddison, yes, but I’d say that Havertz doesn’t fill the same position. If Man Utd have decided on Mount when Maddison is available then they clearly want other qualities that Mount possesses over Maddison. That simply doesn’t mean that Maddison isn’t an elite player. I’m not particularly keen on signing him as I’m not sure about the fee/wages as well as his work rate comparatively to how we play, and where he’d fit into the team, but his stats clearly suggest that he’s one of the top midfielders in the PL. 

Tonali THE most creative player in the CL, or just Milan’s? KDB had the most assists last year and Leao had the most assists for Milan? 

Fair dos and I seen Tonali created the most chances in last seasons CL, I do like Madisson but yeah we move on anyhow and I’m sure we will get someone even better anyway. 

4 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I would love Maddison here but maybe they see 26/27 at the edge of their transfer model? 

We seem to be looking at similar quality at 21 / 23 bracket but with the option to flip for a profit or extend in 4 years time. 

Don't know why they'd baulk at his age. They were happy to sign off a £25m fee for a 30 year old donkey in Chris Wood.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

Don't know why they'd baulk at his age. They were happy to sign off a £25m fee for a 30 year old donkey in Chris Wood.

January 2022 was needs must. Trippier, Wood and Burn were all short term buys with survival in mind.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

Balanced against the prospect of relegation. Completely different circumstances now. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Balanced against the prospect of relegation. Completely different circumstances now. 

Yes I understand that. It's still a shame though as a fully commited Maddison would have completed our midfield going forward for the next few seasons, but he's on his way to Spurs so it's a moot point now anyway.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

Yes I understand that. It's still a shame though as a fully commited Maddison would have completed our midfield going forward for the next few seasons, but he's on his way to Spurs so it's a moot point now anyway.

It was always unlikely given his supposed wage demands which are beyond what we’re currently paying. Plus, although he’s a great player and would undoubtedly increase our creativity and attacking threat significantly, I don’t personally believe he’s an absolutely ideal signing for our particular way of playing and formation. 

Completely makes sense to me.  I’ll repeat what I’ve said for months - he ‘feels’ like a Spurs player.  In both a good and in a more negative way.  I don’t think he was a good fit, nor do I think that the club was really after him this summer.   All guesswork based on a bid late last summer.

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Leicester fans say he downed tools towards the end of last season

sounds ideal for Spurs

to be fair - Leicester fans say everyone downed tools last year, like our players did for us when Bruce was here yet in one scenario we blame the manager yet in the other we blame the player.

3 hours ago, TRon said:

I doubt the wages would have stopped us buying him. For good players that's par for the course now. More likely he preferred Spurs, or maybe we just didn't think it was a good deal for someone who'll be 27 soon.

Then you need to think again. The wages (and the possible £45m+ fee to a certain degree) have clearly made us walk away.

The club have said repeatedly they can’t afford established stars which Maddison by default has negotiated himself into that bracket.

Bruno’s next contact will set the new pay structure but can’t see him going much higher than £150kpw + some bonuses from his current £125kpw.

Its the reason we opted for Tonali instead Barrella.

Fee’s may give us FFP issues but wages give you dressing room problems which is as big a priority to those running us than anything. 

2 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

I remember speaking with an arsenal fan on the phone at work and he said ESR would have a better career than Willock after we signed him permanently.

That could well be true to be fair. He looked quality before he got injured and I would also love him here if he regains that level again. 

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

Then you need to think again. The wages (and the possible £45m+ fee to a certain degree) have clearly made us walk away.

The club have said repeatedly they can’t afford established stars which Maddison by default has negotiated himself into that bracket.

Bruno’s next contact will set the new pay structure but can’t see him going much higher than £150kpw + some bonuses from his current £125kpw.

Its the reason we opted for Tonali instead Barrella.

Fee’s may give us FFP issues but wages give you dressing room problems which is as big a priority to those running us than anything. 

I read that Maddison's demands were similar to what Bruno's next contract is expected to be, so if that was true, I figured if we would pay it to Bruno, we'd probably go that high for Maddison as well. If you know better and Bruno's is significantly less than the £178k/wk that Maddison't asking for, then fair enough. Was just going off the initial report.