James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

By reports Leicester value Maddison around 60. We are bidding 45 and wont overpay per Downie/Hope. Doesnt look likely at the moment. The interesting thing now is if we go in with a third bid, and how high it is. 

I would be willing to pay £60m for him if the budget allows it, I don’t think it would be overpaying in todays market. Think about how much we would ask for for ASM, and Maddison is easily a more proven player.

2 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I would be willing to pay £60m for him if the budget allows it, I don’t think it would be overpaying in todays market.

Agree. I think we are underpaying so dont get the overpay argument, but who am I..

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The going rate argument is fair enough, but I'll expect him to be truly exceptional if he comes in for £60m like. 

£60 million is even more than what Lyon are asking for Paqueta right? But it seems he's looking for a Champions League club, which is such a shame, as we probably get him with what we've already just bid for Maddison.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay or sell.

When we have signed Bruno and Botman for 30/40m each it's hard to argue against trying to sign players below the 45m mark. 

Someone needs to quote what the Liverpool fan posted the other day, about us acting similar to Micheal Edwards.

We won't go above what we think he's worth but the question is how much do we think he's worth?

Personally I'm ecstatic that we are in for these sorts of players and I'm sure that we will go back in for Maddison in January if we don't get him in the summer. We are lining up long term targets and sometimes patience is key.

We won't go without the required players this window, but we may move down our list in order to make sure we have 2 more bodies in.

38 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I personally think we'd get more from Maddison & Almiron/Fraser, than we would from Diaby & Willock/Longstaff/Shelvey.

100% agree with this mate. We won’t get a winger that is near as good or low risk as Maddison. We can still get another good winger to replace/compete with Almiron that is better too maybe,without costing a bomb.

Maddison is reasonably versatile too. We have the chance to get a top class player here. Not that many out there that we can attract. Similar reason to why i have been beating the Paqueta drum too. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

£60 million is even more than what Lyon are asking for Paqueta right? But it seems he's looking for a Champions League club, which is such a shame, as we probably get him with what we've already just bid for Maddison.

But also a bigger risk.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Still don't think Paqueta will ever be off, so long as he's still at Lyon. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay or sell.

When we have signed Bruno and Botman for 30/40m each it's hard to argue against trying to sign players below the 45m mark. 

Someone needs to quote what the Liverpool fan posted the other day, about us acting similar to Micheal Edwards.

We won't go above what we think he's worth but the question is how much do we think he's worth?

Personally I'm ecstatic that we are in for these sorts of players and I'm sure that we will go back in for Maddison in January if we don't get him in the summer. We are lining up long term targets and sometimes patience is key.

We won't go without the required players this window, but we may move down our list in order to make sure we have 2 more bodies in.

What would the point of that be? He won't be any cheaper if he has a good first half of the season.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

What would the point of that be? He won't be any cheaper if he has a good first half of the season.

Would have a year and half left on his contract, so I'd wager he would be. We played this tactic with Botman, it worked. We would have sign Ekitike if it wasn't for PSG too.

22 minutes ago, jack j said:

Is he honestly worth 60 Million though

Not for me tbh like....

Would put him in the top 50 transfer fees of all time

Jack, he’s the best player of a team who were regularly finishing 5th and won the FA Cup. His numbers match up or better players who are quoted at far greater figures than £60m.

If he had another year on his contract you’d be getting quoted about £80m.

As far as we are concerned we’ve lost Maguire for £85m, Mahrez for £65m (years ago), Chilwell for £55m. Any offer has to fall inline with what we are used to getting, otherwise the answer will be no. 

If you want proven, (especially English) players from premier league clubs. You have to pay, and pay handsomely. 

Just now, STM said:

For those saying Maddison is worth 60m, how much is Bruno worth?

Leicester wanted Bruno we would be going mental on here if they bid anything under £60m

Again, disclaimer that I like Maddison, but I just find it pretty hard to fathom how we can all be universal in thinking £35m-ish for Jack Harrison is ridiculous (which it is) in a position we desperately need, but £60m is the going rate for a player in a position we don't. 

Both 25, both English, and both with very similar minutes per goal (344 vs 304)

Maddison is obviously the better player, but to that extreme an extent?

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Priceless to us :coolsmiley:

My subtle point is that I wouldn't sell Bruno for 100m but we signed him for less than 40m in January.

So if we signed Bruno for less than 40m just a few months ago, why would we now pay 60m for someone of comparable talent?