James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

The argument for Maddison is that we need to have creativity in midfield to unlock defenses that sit deep. We dropped too many points to sides that sat back and dared us to break them down.

should have the versatility to play different formations to tackle different opponents.

I was absolutely convinced that we needed Maddison up to the WC, but watching LC the second half of last season makes me think that we should look elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Thank fuck for that there’s a reason the real top teams aren’t after him. He’s not a bargain on those reported wages, whatever the fee is.

You could say the same about Tonali? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, BeloEmre said:

He was already at a top club - and he's costing top dollar.  There were no noises from any of last season's European-qualifying clubs saying that they wanted Maddison.  You'd think they'd happily be trying to pick up a bargain from a freshly relegated club

1 minute ago, BeloEmre said:

I suppose the difference between Maddison and Tonali, is that Tonali isn't on the last year of his contract, at a relegated club. Top teams weren't looking at him because he wasn't obviously low-hanging fruit, unlike Madders.

Thank fuck this saga is finally coming to an end. Good player but don't think he would have impacted our team like Bruno G and Tonali would. Think we can get just as good for similar money with our scouting network. 

Edited by Scotty66

23 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

I think Tonali’s wages will be less than Maddison and he’s already doing it on the big stage at Milan winning the league and playing in CL semi finals.

I like how the tune changes for fans either way :lol:  Comparing now when he's going to Spurs with if he had signed for us. All i'm saying is that he's a very high quality player that most likely will do well and probably would have done so for us too.

Whether we wanted him or not, or if he prefered another destination is an entirely different matter. IF we wanted him but he didn't, it's his choice and his life but it doesn't make him a lesser player. I'm not too bothered and i'm sure we will sign 

someone very good anyway, but let's not kid ourselves that he is less than very good. Similar in a way to McTominay, some people thought we wanted him and despite us not having even signed him they kind of started defending it in every way 

possible, trying to convince themselves (sort of) that THIS is the way to go and in the club we trust. He isn't even half the player JM is. I'm saying some people, not everyone. I assume it's kind of natural in a way too, atleast to some degree.

Guest reefatoon

I struggled to warm to the idea of signing him. Always found him a cheating little bastard, flinging himself on the floor constantly, so he could get a free kick around the box. It’s something that really grinds my gears [emoji38]

Think it was a couple of seasons ago when he flung himself on the floor in the box when Lascelles was near him and they got a pen. Proper pissed me off, the little cheating twat [emoji38]

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Always struggled to warm to the idea of signing him. Always found him a cheating little bastard, flinging himself on the floor constantly, so he could get a free kick around the box. It’s something that really grinds my gears [emoji38]

Think it was a couple of seasons ago when he flung himself on the floor in the box when Lascelles was near him and they got a pen. Proper pissed me off, the little cheating twat [emoji38]

I agree and i've felt the same. But even our players go down very easily at times. Bruno does it, others have done so in the penalty area too.

Edited by Ikon

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Ikon said:

I agree and i've felt the same. But even our players go donw very easily at times. Bruno does it, others have done so in the penalty area too.

Totally agree, I hate it when our players do it. It’s part of the game that really pisses me off.

40m is a good deal but leads me to believe we can’t have been that interested if it was that price?

One bonus of Tonali is Bruno can have more influence further forwards but I still think we’ll see the creative attacker come in soon enough.

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That is a quality deal. Their whole squad needs a refit though so I’m interested to see what other business they do 

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see who else comes in. I think Spurs needed a signing like this, he’s exactly what they needed to be fair, that was plainly obvious watching them last season.

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I think we will have something else lined up. Hopefully he was one of those if we didn’t make CL signings.

Yeah I agree, I think the people who really wanted Maddison will be fine once the attacker or attackers come in.

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

That is a quality deal. Their whole squad needs a refit though so I’m interested to see what other business they do 

They have just signed a new keeper and want a new CB as well. If the new manager can get Bentecaur fit and get the best out of Bissouma then they will have a good side.

He's probably better suited to Spurs if they are going to a 4231 than he would have been as a RW for us. 

We'll possibly have to pay more for a riskier option but think it will be someone who fits more into the profile of the rest of the midfield/attack being fast or physical. 

I don’t think he’s dynamic enough to play in our system but assuming Kane leaves I could see him doing well at Spurs. Son, Maddison and Kulu playing behind a striker is a really interesting midfield. 

I’ve said it before but I can’t see how he works with Kane given they occupy the same spaces.