James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Just now, McCormick said:

Not sure I understand; we can still buy him but not at the release clause figure (which seems quite high anyway) right? 

Rbl aren’t easy to deal with, rarely get a bad deal. 

Also, they are under no pressure to sell. 

22 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not sure I understand; we can still buy him but not at the release clause figure (which seems quite high anyway) right? 

yeah I think it’s being positioned as 70m being some bargain price, which I’m not sure it is. 

although our ability to force a deal decreases once it expires.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

Just now, McCormick said:

Yeah, you’d imagine they’d accept that figure, release clause or not. Pretty pointless deadline unless they really don’t want to sell him.

I’m not so sure, the reports are they will be getting 100m for Gvardiol so zero pressure to sell and a club which is used to get top dollar for players. 

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Fair. Doubt anyone will be playing close to that for him though; he’s not a household name in the same way Gvardiol is.

Aye, didn’t make a splash at a World Cup so definitely doesn’t have the same reputation. 

player prices are so high currently, it feels as if some form of external circumstances are required in order to get what we deem to be a fair price. 

Release clause works both ways though doesn’t it? If nobody is willing to pay it, then he’s not worth the money. Some may be willing to pay under that. No one is going to go over that. If he wants out and they’re open to selling they’d be better off pushing for a sale prior to the clause ending I would think…maybe I don’t get economics though!

Edited by AJ9

Just now, AJ9 said:

Release clause works both ways though doesn’t it? If nobody is willing to pay it, then he’s not worth the money. Some may be willing to pay under that. No one is going to go over that. If he wants out and they’re open to selling they’d be better off pushing for a sale prior to the clause ending I would think…maybe I don’t get economics though!

It does in the circumstances you’ve described yes, but if the player wants to stay and the club doesn’t want to sell then the only mechanism would be to trigger the release clause and offer terms the player can’t turn down. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

It does in the circumstances you’ve described yes, but if the player wants to stay and the club doesn’t want to sell then the only mechanism would be to trigger the release clause and offer terms the player can’t turn down. 

Yep, depends if he’s ‘on the market’ or not

11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I don't understand the indifference.

Arguably our biggest weakness last season was breaking down stubborn defences. At times it was due to a lack of quality on the ball, at times it was due to a lack of goalscorers in the side, Maddison is both.

I get the handsome foreigner could have a higher potential ceiling, but he also has a bigger downside too. Maddison has provided consistent goal contributions in that PL for a few years now.

If both sides are still at the table, it means his representatives are giving both the come on. If we don't get him so be it, I'm sure we'll have a very good alternative lined up.

Would be delighted if he joins for all the reasons youve mentioned, but if he'd rather join a turbulent Spurs over an NUFC on an upwards trajectory, the sentence highlighted is why I'd get over it pretty quickly.

Good post as always though from TP.

Baffled by some of the talk about Maddison, he would immediately be one of our best players if he does sign. 

presumably will take Almirons position and will be one hell of an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

Baffled by some of the talk about Maddison, he would immediately be one of our best players if he does sign. 

We’d sign Maddison and play him right wing?  Has he played right wing?  It actually feels like a waste of a creative midfielder tbh

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

Almiron scored more goals than him and his work rate has been absolutely fundamental to our success and basic style of play that EH plans more or less to proceed with.

EH wants 2 players that fit that mould and add creativity along with it. Maddison is clearly lacking in one aspect so they’re definitely a debate to have considering our room for error/progressing is smaller than the teams around us. Add to the mix the player’s apparent desire from day one to play in the south would’ve been noted too.

We were given encouragement by his agent to make a bid but the information given regarding a relatively low fee proved incorrect. My hunch is it was a sliding doors moment and we’ve maybe got an even more ambitious player in mind that might become available late on in the window whilst not wanting to burn our bridges with Maddison in case his outlook changes as well as the fee drops nearer £30-35m. I might be wrong but it looks like Spurs and us are the only show in town for him. Why no one else is my question back?

10 hours ago, Tiburon said:

I find those fans who consider ourselves a better option for any player over Spurs quite baffling really and bordering on stupidity when all we have over them right now is one better season and a better manager.

As we should know most, that can all change over night. All Spurs have ever lacked really since Poch left is a good manager who also happens to be the right manager. They’ve had good managers, but neither Mourinho or Conte were ever the right man and their new man may not be either. But if he turns out to be, as we’ve found out with our own Eddie Howe, all that will change. 

They have everything else going for them and a lot of things we don’t have ourselves right now. They arguably have the best stadium in the world, over a decade + strong European pedigree with a few Champions League campaigns thrown in including reaching the final itself recently and have been one of the top 6 sides in the division in that period.

They arguably have the best all-round centre-forward in the world right now in Harry Kane who will likely stay and who along with Son despite being off form last season and like Kane not getting any younger, as a pair they form a deadly front two any player would love to play alongside, especially one like Maddison who creates so much.

They also have the core of a good strong squad throughout, an academy and training ground way better than our own and as ambitious as we now are, let’s not kid ourselves they aren’t just as ambitious because they are.

They’ve spent fortunes in the past and will continue to do so and because of their huge revenue streams and commercial power can pay players a bigger wage than we can currently. There is also the London factor too.

Again the only thing that sets us apart on the pitch is our manager and that we had a better season than them which was close thing between the two prior to our 6-1 thrashing of them. At that stage we were both in the same race for Europe.

if their new man is backed and shows himself to be the right man, they will be back right up there with us and may even be better positioned to regain their. place back in the top 6 which will be less tougher for them without any European distractions.

If I’m a Maddison I’d be right up for a move to Newcastle United, but likewise a move to Spurs would be just as and maybe even more appealing to the likes of him so let’s not kid ourselves just because of our stellar season we are suddenly the big draw all of a sudden when in reality we still have a long way to go and as quickly as things have changed massively for the better where we are now in the conversation for top top players, so too are Spurs and always will be, like ourselves, as long as they are ambitious and have what we have in Howe, a top manager who happens to be the right manager for them.

It won’t take much to turn things around at Spurs, not with their stadium, finances, ambition and Kane banging them in for fun. But, but… we have Bruno in the middle!

Lets face it without the takeover, we’d be lucky just to have Hayden starting for us next season man and only then because we’d be lucky to see him fit!

Fuck me, fill the bath and pass the razor blades.

40 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’d sign Maddison and play him right wing?  Has he played right wing?  It actually feels like a waste of a creative midfielder tbh

This season he played as an inverted winger for Leicester. It suits how we play because Trippier provides with width on that side of the pitch. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

This season he played as an inverted winger for Leicester. It suits how we play because Trippier provides with width on that side of the pitch. 

The weakness is the incredible amount of pressing that Almiron can do. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

It'd be interesting to see Maddison's capacity under Howe.

Yeah for sure, everything about this summer is hard to predict IMO. We obviously need more quality but we also need more depth, so many options of what to do. 

I struggle to picture Maddison and how he would work for us, but I'm sure Eddie has a plan. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah for sure, everything about this summer is hard to predict IMO. We obviously need more quality but we also need more depth, so many options of what to do. 

I struggle to picture Maddison and how he would work for us, but I'm sure Eddie has a plan. 

I’m presuming the depth will come more within. As in we buy two top quality 1st teamers and those who drop out become the depth rather than 2 in 2 out.

Any departures I personally feel will be the usual suspects that have been on loan and Fraser. The one that will be debated for sure is ASM but I think I’ve made it clear which side of that fence I’m on.