James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Won't be coming here , regardless of what we hope, though prepared to be wrong

Have you ever considered a career in journalism? 

I've been one of the ones wanting Maddison but I've no fear of losing out on him.

When players like Barella are mentioned, you can see why we might not be as set on Maddison as some journos would have us think.

Any midfielder of Maddisons quality and above, whether they are a 6 or an 8, would put us in a great place.

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Maddison last summer was the peak of what we thought was possible, now it’s the bare minimum 

if that ain’t progress I don’t know what is

That's well put.

The more I think about it, the more I'm pleased that noises coming out of the club are about signing "elite" players.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Maddison world be a very good signing. Sounds like a few are setting themselves up for disappointment.

He would be and I would be disappointed but I'd also be convinced he wasn't our number 1 target.

He'll surely want to play in the Champions League at some point and our big selling point IMO is that we guarantee that. We're in it this year and if he comes to Newcastle he'll be a key piece in a CL team straight away.

Spurs will probably get into the CL at some point over the next few years but there's no guarantee. It's gonna be competitive as fuck for those 5 spots in the coming years and Postecoglou is a complete unknown at this level. If he fails who knows what will happen to them and when they'll be back there.

Hopefully we get this done. Think this saga has been going on for so long that people have started to forget what a genuinely quality player he is, he'd be a great addition.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We’ve finished above Spurs once in about 17 years. To suggest there are not footballing reasons to join them and not us is extremely arrogant.  

But no one is suggesting that they haven't been a better club over 17 years, they clearly have. But they are on the way down and we are on the way up. If a player prefers to live in London, that's a separate issue, good luck to him with it.

We'll buy a player who wants to win stuff.

I think choosing Spurs is fine and choosing us is fine. My only issue is that we’ve been after him for a year, so it’s time for us and him to make a decision (if that hasn’t been done already). I’ve zero interest in this dragging out through the summer unless it’s just to fuck with Spurs. I don’t want us to still be hearing about him in a month and without an alternative.

There's nothing arrogant about it. They've got a completely unproven manager and they're in real danger of slipping out of the European places consistently when their absurd front line ages/leaves. Brighton are looking better and better each year and Villa have Emery.

Anything can happen in Football, but Spurs don't look in a great place at the minute and they have much greater competition than they did even a few years ago.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

But no one is suggesting that they haven't been a better club over 17 years, they clearly have. But they are on the way down and we are on the way up. If a player prefers to live in London, that's a separate issue, good luck to him with it.

We'll buy a player who wants to win stuff.

It’s not like he’s going to Palace. 

There’s not enough evidence to suggest we are a better bet than Spurs now.  They still have a number of advantages over us on the field and outside. You’re acting like we’ve already surpassed them. We haven’t. 

They could easily finish above us next season. 

He's not likely going to experience anything at Spurs he didn't experience at Leicester.

They'll try and qualify for the Champions League, might get in it, more likely they'll not and might win cups, might not.

Just a bigger stadium filled with the most moany hard to please fans in the country.

Would be more fun to just stick with Leicester than go there.

I'd have him but he's not worth jumping through hoops for and already not worth the conjecture there's been.

Edited by Jonas

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We’ve finished above Spurs once in about 17 years. To suggest there are not footballing reasons to join them and not us is extremely arrogant.  

And that's over now, that's the entire point. The exact opposite point could be made since we had finished above Spurs the lions share of the time pre Ashley and still had a bigger stadium, but which club offered more.

They're not going forward we are.

If he favors Spurs even slightly then we shouldn't bother trying. We've built a lovely little core here and I wouldn't want to mess it up with people that see brighter lights elsewhere. 

I don't blame him for being drawn to them either FWIW. We've had a great 18 months, but Spurs have been in a Champions League final relatively recently and it looks increasingly likely he'll be the set-up man for Kane and Son. That's before you even consider the pull of a rich young man living in London. 

We don't need to be desperate when chasing players, and truthfully, dragging players here was what got us into bother previously. 

45 minutes ago, Jonas said:

He's not likely going to experience anything at Spurs he didn't experience at Leicester.

They'll try and qualify for the Champions League, might get in it, more likely they'll not and might win cups, might not.

Just a bigger stadium filled with the most moany hard to please fans in the country.

Would be more fun to just stick with Leicester than go there.

I'd have him but he's not worth jumping through hoops for and already not worth the conjecture there's been.

He's better of playing in the Championship? [emoji38]

We haven't even bid for him this year and people are already getting annoyed that he's turned us down as he has no ambition and wants the London lifestyle. 

The windows barely opened and players are away on international duty. It's going to be a long summer on here I think. 

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

And that's over now, that's the entire point. The exact opposite point could be made since we had finished above Spurs the lions share of the time pre Ashley and still had a bigger stadium, but which club offered more.

They're not going forward we are.

What’s over now?

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

There's nothing arrogant about it. They've got a completely unproven manager and they're in real danger of slipping out of the European places consistently when their absurd front line ages/leaves. Brighton are looking better and better each year and Villa have Emery.

Anything can happen in Football, but Spurs don't look in a great place at the minute and they have much greater competition than they did even a few years ago.

Even Spurs fans have a very down outlook on things and blame it all on Levy. It's not great for them at all right now. Not awful either by our recenr history, but I'd be mega surprised if they challenged top 4 next season well enough.

I think spurs won't be getting top four for a long long time, with us city arsenal man u liverpool chelsea and maybes villa in the mix. They have a weak as piss squad held up by a top striker. They don't have a shit tonne of money either to throw about and a crackerjack as chairman. There ship has sailed I feel.